Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Set up Wireless connection - Netgear router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Set up Wireless connection - Netgear router

Old 01-07-2009, 11:03   #1
koprano
Inactive

koprano is an unknown quantity at this point
Set up Wireless connection - Netgear router

I am trying to get wireless working at my girlfriends house.

They have Virgin broadband already working.

Current set up is using a black box which has a port for the broadband and a BLUE RJ45 from the black box into the ethernet port on back of pc. No problems.

My friend has a Netgear 614 v6 wireless router.

I plugged a yellow RJ45 cable from netgear to cable box, and then the blue cable from Netgear router into PC.

Result - no internet. I could not access the internet any more and could not even get access to netgear set up using ip address 192.168.0.1 which is what I use on my home router ( non cable)

I guess there is a problem with ip addresses or something.

I have gone back to the single black box connection which I had to power everything down and restart to get ip address sorted.

So can anyone please tell me what I need to do that I have missed out.

Many thanks

Carl
koprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 12:15   #2
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
Re: Set up Wireless connection - Netgear router

The IP address for Netgear routers is 192.168.1.1
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:20   #3
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

You'll need to do the standard stepped restart. Power off all the kit. Connect cables modem - > router - > pc.
Now power on modem (black box) and wait for the lights to stabilise. Next do router and again wait for lights to steady. Finally power up the pc and you should have a connection.

Then as Mags said, try the router address again.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 22:58   #4
badhairday
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them

I had the same router and it failed to get me on the interweb then ....I realised...DUH!! I still had the wireless switch on my laptop while setting up the wired connection.
Netgear help line was excellent and once set up was made I was wireless and surfing .
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote