Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Extending range of wireless network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Extending range of wireless network

Old 21-06-2009, 04:59   #16
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Extending range of wireless network

it seems i was running out of virtual mem as id not had a power cycle in a while, but no matter.

me pre type in notepad, nope, you see my average size text when helping here including this one probably

LOL, well your going to have to "go out some time"......, and spend some money.

if only to buy a can of coke and make a version of the 'Windsurfer' parabolic refrector from that....., yes iv done that for a bit of fun, and "just to know it works" as i thought it might, and it works good too, got a 5db gain increase in the open direction

but not as good as putting a USB2 wireless card on a short 2m USB extension, and stuffing it through a hole, just under a 3rd of the way down the side nearest a large CANs base to make an adhoc (made 2) cantana for long distance.... a 12db increase above its normal receive/transmit, and far less wireless noise to boot.

your average 10m (30 foot) good quality heavy cat5E ethernet is only about £3 today, and thats pritty much garanteed good for 1 gig upto around 50m (150 foot), 10m of cat6 being a £5.

seeing as you seem intent on some hardware , then your going to NEED some long ethernet anyway and its well werth trying the option 4: i typed up yesturday but you missed the more indepth text.

its pritty simple, and you dont seem interested in the faster and more expensive 11n, so go buy a cheap £15 11g router from your local shop, put it on the first OR top floor clear from any metalic things such as radiators that might and will act as a large wireless reflector (unless thats the direction you want it to go OC).

go get that longer cat5E ethernet cable at the same time, plug one end into the router1 port1, the other into the WAN port of router2.

connect a PC to the 2 and go and turn router2's DHCPd OFF, and set a fixed channel at least 3 channels above the router1 channel.

that way router2 gets its LAN IP from router1 over the cat5E and your not using up valuble wireless bandwidth for router2 to LAN.

i know your going to say cant route ethernet cable so theres ONE other option BUT it will take wireless bandwidth, but then so would the expensive Wireless Range Expander if you didnt want to also wired that over ethernet cable too.

all these Wireless Range Expanders are is a generic wireless router or AP with another addition in the GUI to turn the repeater option of the wireless chipset SOC ON in it's onboard firmware....

you have to ask yourself, can i live with an unwired Wireless Repeater as in this mode it actually cuts the wireless Bandwidth by half (Since it has to Flip-Flop between Transmit, and Receive with a single Radio) .

that other option, again potentially only half the bandwidth, is only valid, IF your router1 and router2 have the option already, that being WDS (Wireless distribution system)

If your routers do have WDS, then its simple, router1/mac1 - router2/mac2

you go to the WDS options screens add mac2 into router1's allowed macs, and mac1 into router2's allowed mac.

if you did it right and their within range of each other then they will send anything they see on their LAN end to the other routers WAN port,over the wireless connection, you need them both set on the same channel OC, done, but you do loose some bandwidth and speed OC as above, but fine if you know about it and why your losting the top speed.

the only real option for long term WDS use and loosing perhaps half your bandwidth (per channel but you can make it back up+ with bonding the 3 seperate spaces for non overlapping channels with a lot of bonding help , or at least thats my considered Opinion, as iv not actually tryed it for real yet, if some readers have, speak up and write it up here or somewere, what you did and what you used etc) is in the MESH modes were you can have lots of community wireless LANs interact over a far wider space or longer reach, point to point connections etc...

for instance Meraki do a nice Mesh device.http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4963484100.html
http://meraki.com/products_services/hosted_services/
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2009, 14:48   #17
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

I have to say, a lot of what you've just written has gone completely over my head.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 18:45   #18
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

I am considering Ethernet over Power, or Homeplug, as a viable option, and I'd like some advice on what's good, what's not, what's horrendous, how easy it is to configure, and whether it works on a spur or not!
Old 22-06-2009, 19:33   #19
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Do you really mean 'Power over Ethernet' or Homeplug (Ethernet over Power)?
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 20:02   #20
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Latter, networking over power lines.
Old 22-06-2009, 20:17   #21
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
I am considering Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) as a viable option, and I'd like some advice on what's good, what's not, what's horrendous, how easy it is to configure, and whether it works on a spur or not!
not a long complicated one this time, but as altis said, did you confuse things ?

PoE (Power-over-Ethernet) IS for putting power down a generic ethernet cables spare wires to power a remote ethernet device that might not have a power outlet near it.

for putting and powering a wireless router high up in your loft or externally for instance.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 20:20   #22
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Right, right, OK OK OK!!!!! I confused the two. Damn terminologies!

I'm after something I can plug into the mains, run an ethernet cable between crapshod router and said plug, and run an ethernet cable from my laptop to said plug in my bedroom.

HOMEPLUG!
Old 23-06-2009, 12:46   #23
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Homeplug
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote