Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

Old 03-06-2012, 23:55   #181
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Posting from it now, but suffering from sticky keys on a Logitech K400 keyboard which is supposed to be compatible. Lots of issues with USB power usage it seems...
Been tweeking mine all night

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2012, 00:06   #182
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Been tweeking mine all night
Each to their own, you'll go blind...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:38   #183
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

You get used to it
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16   #184
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Posting from it now, but suffering from sticky keys on a Logitech K400 keyboard which is supposed to be compatible. Lots of issues with USB power usage it seems...
Best bet is to hang a powered USB hub off of it and plug everything into that tbh, the most it can draw from a PC USB port is 500ma (900ma if it's USB 3?) which isn't an awful lot to run a fully functional PC as it is without hanging any peripherals off of it
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:09   #185
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Best bet is to hang a powered USB hub off of it and plug everything into that tbh, the most it can draw from a PC USB port is 500ma (900ma if it's USB 3?) which isn't an awful lot to run a fully functional PC as it is without hanging any peripherals off of it
That's the way I've got it set up. Measuring across TP1/TP2 I'm still only getting 4.7V, so I'm wondering if I've got a faulty unit...
Old 04-06-2012, 12:28   #186
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

What's the direct measurement of the PSU/usb you're using to power the Pi?
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:51   #187
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
What's the direct measurement of the PSU/usb you're using to power the Pi?
I haven't any probes small enough to measure from the micro USB adapter. I've tried using a powered hub & a Kindle 2A 5V power supply. Even with nothing connected I'm only getting 4.75V.

Link gives position of TP1/TP2 test points:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-conten...011/12/psu.png
Old 04-06-2012, 15:06   #188
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Here is a link from the Raspberry Pi website that might help.
Power from powered USB hub?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 15:58   #189
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

i got two of those cheapy hubs so when mine turns up i should at least be able to power it up
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 16:06   #190
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I haven't any probes small enough to measure from the micro USB adapter. I've tried using a powered hub & a Kindle 2A 5V power supply. Even with nothing connected I'm only getting 4.75V.

Link gives position of TP1/TP2 test points:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-conten...011/12/psu.png
4.7 honestly shouldn't be an issue, 99.9% of usb devices (and also the components on the Pi) are 3.3v or less so the 4.7 should drive a 3.3v regulator fine..

I'm more than likely to suspect the current getting through.. Is the microusb lead supplied with the Pi or a lead for another device? If the latter then how long is it? Just that too long and you'll be limiting the voltage/current to the device.
Old 04-06-2012, 16:51   #191
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
4.7 honestly shouldn't be an issue, 99.9% of usb devices (and also the components on the Pi) are 3.3v or less so the 4.7 should drive a 3.3v regulator fine..

I'm more than likely to suspect the current getting through.. Is the microusb lead supplied with the Pi or a lead for another device? If the latter then how long is it? Just that too long and you'll be limiting the voltage/current to the device.
The lead is a Kindle one, about 1.5m. The Pi people reckon the USB standard is 4.75 - 5.25V which should be obtained across TP1/TP2. I'l see if I've got a shorter micro USB cable somewhere.
Old 04-06-2012, 17:06   #192
Kymmy
Inactive

I'm always dubious about powering non-usb devices from a USB port especially when the USB current output is so limited and the cables involved are not designed for a lot of current anyway. I did have an old HP Jornado PSU (1amp/5v regulated) that I've put aside if I ever do bother getting a Pi as I know that should run it flawlessly.
Old 04-06-2012, 23:40   #193
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having a problem with my pi too. When it arrived after preparing the SD card and plugging everything in it booted first time. Load LXDE, started Midori to check I had a net connection, all fine. I didn't have much time to tinker, so I shutdown, unplugged and remove the SD.

Next time I came to use it, it would boot.

Tried different powers supplies and reformatted the SD card, every time I try and boot it up I get one of the following:

1. Red LED on and nothing else.
2. Red LED on and faint green LED.
3. Red LED on flashing green LED.
4. Red and green LED’s on but as always not HDMI output.

Reading the wiki suggests a power problem, bad image on the SD card or incompatible SD card but I don't understand:

a) Why it worked once.
b) Why I’m getting inconsistent results.

I don't have the time to work on this now but if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
Old 05-06-2012, 00:15   #194
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'm always dubious about powering non-usb devices from a USB port especially when the USB current output is so limited and the cables involved are not designed for a lot of current anyway. I did have an old HP Jornado PSU (1amp/5v regulated) that I've put aside if I ever do bother getting a Pi as I know that should run it flawlessly.
Unless that HP PSU has a micro USB output cable then you're out of luck. I'm not powering mine from a USB port, but from a Kindle PSU (which just happens to have a USB A to USB micro cable)...
Old 05-06-2012, 09:10   #195
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Unless that HP PSU has a micro USB output cable then you're out of luck. I'm not powering mine from a USB port, but from a Kindle PSU (which just happens to have a USB A to USB micro cable)...
Designed for charging and not powering

In hindsight a microusb for powering such a high current device is a poor option but they've gone for it for simplicity.

It'll be interesting to see what their response is..

As for the Jornado PSU when I selected it the Pi didn't have the microusb at that time but the power supply has a figure of 8 input and a standard DC power socket output that it's easy to make up any lead I want.