Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] The News Corp scandal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] The News Corp scandal

Old 19-07-2011, 14:34   #781
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: [Update] The News Corp scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I still can't stand that Keith Vaz is allowed to question anyone on links to dodgyness and corruption.

Stephenson is having a bit of a disaster, his assurances that the rank and file Met were behind him were laughable, still fair play for ignoring Vaz's attempt to make a political comment regarding budget cuts.
Vaz is just at the head of a committee which now seems very determined to apply standards of judgement and powers of hindsight to the police which many of their peers have failed miserably to live up to over the years whether it be in terms of the systematic abuse of expenses, cash for honours/questions or the sort of lies/spin which led us into the war in Iraq. Frankly their hypocrisy and opportunism make me sick!

As for the number of press related staff they employ, given its size, unique role and the extreme demands of today's news media it doesn't surprise me but I'd like to know how many similar staff other large forces employ?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2011, 14:56   #782
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

To lighten the mood a little in this section spitting image had Mr Murdoch sussed out more then 20 years ago.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=385x599128
Old 19-07-2011, 15:58   #783
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
As for the number of press related staff they employ, given its size, unique role and the extreme demands of today's news media it doesn't surprise me but I'd like to know how many similar staff other large forces employ?
It was out of a staff of 45. They were talking about the press department.

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Finally they got something out of this. There continued to be payments to Clive Goodman and Glen Mulcaire. Not amazingly new info though.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 16:55   #784
watzizname
Inactive

Services: XL 60/3
watzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to all

Who attacked who?.. i looked away
watzizname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 16:58   #785
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Someone tried to attack Murdoch, his wife stepped in and slapped the moron, think Murdoch was unharmed. What an idiot. Just detracts from the session and the focus on the illegality.
Old 19-07-2011, 17:01   #786
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Murdoch custard pie'd in the face perhaps. White substance involved.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 17:04   #787
watzizname
Inactive

watzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to all

How do you sneak a plate of anything into the room?
Old 19-07-2011, 17:06   #788
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Hearing to reconvene without press or public - no word on whether the camera's will be allowed.
Old 19-07-2011, 17:07   #789
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It was out of a staff of 45. They were talking about the press department.[COLOR="Silver"]
Yes I know. I was asking, in response to Derek's point:

Quote:
It's amazed me the Met has a PR dept with more than 50 people in it. Policing isn't a business FGS!!

A couple of people to put out press releases would do the job.
how many such staff would be employed in the press dept. of other large forces?

Anyway, given what looks like a paint attack on the Murdoch's, I wonder who's going to chair the soon to be announced enquiry into security measures at select committees.
Old 19-07-2011, 17:07   #790
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Attacker known as comedian Jonnie Marbles.
Old 19-07-2011, 17:08   #791
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

He tweeted before he did it:

"It is a far better thing that I do now than I have ever done before #splat"
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 17:09   #792
watzizname
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
What an idiot. Just detracts from the session and the focus on the illegality.
Indeed.. this incident will probably be the main focus of the hearing, on the news..
Old 19-07-2011, 17:14   #793
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla View Post
He tweeted before he did it:

"It is a far better thing that I do now than I have ever done before #splat"
That probably sums up, better than anything anyone else could say, just what a sad loser this guy is.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

I haven't heard all of the session but has anyone else noticed the relative absence of smug, snide remarks on the part of the committee members questioning the Murdochs? It's all a bit different from the approach taken with various police personnel. I wonder why that is?...
Old 19-07-2011, 17:16   #794
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Attacker known as comedian Jonnie Marbles.
What a complete idiot.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 17:27   #795
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I haven't heard all of the session but has anyone else noticed the relative absence of smug, snide remarks on the part of the committee members questioning the Murdochs? It's all a bit different from the approach taken with various police personnel. I wonder why that is?...
Different committee. It also seems they didn't want to appear to be conducting a witch hunt or to attack and miss the Murdochs.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Rubbish. Tom Watson was the only member who had probing, proper questions and when it came back to him he was cut of by the chair as he was chasing down another promising line in Inquiry while other members were left to babble about if News Corp ever paid people in gift vouchers ffs.