Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | FBI Warning "DNS Changer Malware"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Possible Avast Antivirus scam?
Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2012, 20:14   #1
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
Possible Avast Antivirus scam?

Is this possibly a scam?
I use Avast free and have done for a while now but i just started to get these popups. See attached screenies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Avast scam 1.JPG (45.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Avast scam 2.JPG (91.4 KB, 31 views)
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2012, 21:54   #2
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Possible Avast Antivirus scam?

It could just be a glitch in there system, I had something simular happen to me a few years back with AVG. Contact there support or see if anything is mentioned on there website.
Old 17-04-2012, 22:21   #3
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I just got a new machine and thought to try the new avast.

What a disaster, loads of false positives and gliches everywhere. I persevered for a few days but it became such a pain.

I was really glad to uninstall it.

This was the second time I've tried avast and the second time I've dumped it.

I'm back on MSE which seems to be doing a decent job.
Small footprint, don't seem to slow the machine while booting or running and no nags to upgrade or adverts. That does it for me.
Old 18-04-2012, 00:32   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwieser View Post
Is this possibly a scam?
I use Avast free and have done for a while now but i just started to get these popups. See attached screenies.
Is that a legal key in your second photo for the world to see?

Edit... i didn't notice you said the free version, i would google that licence key and visit the Avast forums for advice.

---------- Post added at 00:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:30 ----------

I used to use Avast until i discovered it renders Windows firewall and Comodo firewall useless because when things are blocked in the Firewalls Avast still lets them through.

This is related to Windows 7 and i don't think it is Avasts fault but it does mean it renders other firewalls useless unless you turn off the Webshield in Avast.
Old 18-04-2012, 18:19   #5
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Closed at OP's request - problem solved.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread