Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 15:29   #2881
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
If we had a better idea of what it looked like then we would have a clearer idea of what to do. Asking for what it looks like isn't an unreasonable request.
There's a great article in the Financial Times that explains why the Government is taking this approach. Google "Who the UK really is negotiating with over Brexit" to read it free of charge.

It includes the statement "No, her true Brexit opponents are the UK’s media and politicians and, by extension, the public. Mrs May and her government are in an intense negotiation to obtain approval from those to whom they are, in theory, accountable. This is the settlement which matters most. The actual exit terms with the EU are of secondary importance."
https://www.ft.com/content/36e5b0e9-...9-dd2babcf2d80
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2016, 17:10   #2882
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Really and how long is that going to last do you think compared to the value of Gold? Yeah I'd really rather have a vault full of Euros than a vault full of gold bullion...
i would rather have a vault full of beef bouillon than euro's
Old 01-12-2016, 18:56   #2883
RizzyKing

I doubt boris has any real belief in anything to do with brexit given he only got involved to further his agenda and nothing whatsoever to do with what was best for the UK. Too much pandering to remain will make the negotiations a total waste of time and hamstring us too much to get anything half decent.

Old 01-12-2016, 20:09   #2884
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

If we are going to have to accept freedom of movement and paying money to the EU for the privilege of trading with them why the hell did we just have a referendum to get away from all that? Enough of all this crazy talk a more ludicrous scenario i have yet to hear

Old 01-12-2016, 20:11   #2885
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Enough of all this crazy talk a more ludicrous scenario i have yet to hear
If you wait until March 2021 you may hear a more ludicrous one.
Old 01-12-2016, 20:14   #2886
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Love the trolling
Its not trolling, its advice .

You worry-wart remoaners ought to just quietly carry on working 9 to 5 and pay your taxes because that's what you do best and is what you're needed for. Governance and leadership should be left to people who can handle it: that's everyone with the foresight and confidence to vote Leave.
Old 01-12-2016, 20:19   #2887
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
If we are going to have to accept freedom of movement and paying money to the EU for the privilege of trading with them why the hell did we just have a referendum to get away from all that? Enough of all this crazy talk a more ludicrous scenario i have yet to hear
I suspect paying them for access is one of the better outcomes if it is in lieu of something else. Money is simpler and is likely to cause a fuss for the Government. This doesn't mean we'll have freedom of movement.
Old 01-12-2016, 20:29   #2888
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
I suspect paying them for access is one of the better outcomes if it is in lieu of something else. Money is simpler and is likely to cause a fuss for the Government. This doesn't mean we'll have freedom of movement.
What's the point of a single market that countries can buy into ? it defeats the whole purpose of the single market imo

Old 01-12-2016, 20:30   #2889
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
We could have a better negotiating hand if the vote in Italy is "no" and the banking institutions there suffer. Another good reason why May didn't start negotiations to leave straight away.
Old 01-12-2016, 20:35   #2890
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
What's the point of a single market that countries can buy into ? it defeats the whole purpose of the single market imo
I imagine it's access to rather than member of. In other words we get better trade terms than we would normally get. I don't know really, I don't think they do, it's just something we could do to help get the best deal possible.
Old 01-12-2016, 20:38   #2891
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Another good reason why May didn't start negotiations to leave straight away.
You don't think she might have an idea or two about how to handle things do you?
Old 01-12-2016, 20:38   #2892
RizzyKing

We shouldn't pay for access to the single market and if push comes to shove we walk away entirely, the french and the germans already have teams going to financial institutions in the city of london to try and get them to move operations to the continent. We're not allowed to have independent trade deals till we've left but they can come over on a poaching trip anytime they want yeah there's that well known EU fairness in operation. Yes i know 48% voted to remain but more voted to leave and a lot voted leave to get out of the whole damn thing not bits of it and if we carry on the way we are going with every detail having to be revealed and every strategy known we should bin the whole lot and just give it up and stay in the utopia till it falls apart which isn't going to be that long. I wish i had the cash to emigrate because this country is a complete mess.

Old 01-12-2016, 20:45   #2893
martyh

Quote:
I imagine it's access to rather than member of. In other words we get better trade terms than we would normally get. I don't know really, I don't think they do, it's just something we could do to help get the best deal possible.
It would work fine for us ,best of both worlds sort of until the rest of Europe decide they want the best of both worlds .I certainly don't think Brussels would entertain such an idea as it attacks the core principles of the single market and the EU .Either we stay 100% in the EU as we are now or we 100% leave ,there can be no half measures

Old 01-12-2016, 20:57   #2894
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
We shouldn't pay for access to the single market and if push comes to shove we walk away entirely, the french and the germans already have teams going to financial institutions in the city of london to try and get them to move operations to the continent.
We should pay if we think it's in our economic interest to do so. We need to be pragmatic and calculating here, walking away to prove a point or some misplaced notion of pride would be silly. We might not have to pay, it may not be worth it but if we think we should and it would be a net gain then go ahead.

If it involves privileged deals with the single market then all the better to keep the banks too.

Quote:
Either we stay 100% in the EU as we are now or we 100% leave ,there can be no half measures
We'll be out of the EU but there are many other agreements we can have with Europe. Europe as a bloc is our single biggest trading partner and is right on our doorstep, we are tied to them no matter what. So we need to work out what the relationship will be and maybe paying a fee for access to single market as part of a tailored arrangement will define that relationship post-Brexit.

Brexit is happening but what comes next is wide open and we don't know what that will be. There will be downsides and compromises though, same as if we had voted to Remain.

Last edited by Damien; 01-12-2016 at 21:00.
Old 01-12-2016, 20:57   #2895
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
We should pay if we think it's in our economic interest to do so. We need to be pragmatic and calculating here, walking away to prove a point or some misplaced notion of pride would be silly. We might not have to pay, it may not be worth it but if we think we should and it would be a net gain then go ahead.

If it involves privileged deals with the single market then all the better to keep the banks too.
I think you may be confusing amelioration and appeasement. We have a much stronger hand than you think. Brexit is only the beginning. Might be worth remembering too that America's new president has taken a cue from the forward-thinking brexit vote.
Closed Thread