Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Euro 2016 thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Euro 2016 thread
View Poll Results: Who will win Euro 2016
France 3 8.11%
Romania 0 0%
Albania 0 0%
Switzerland 2 5.41%
WALES 5 13.51%
ENGLAND 2 5.41%
Slovakia 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
Poland 0 0%
N. IRELAND 0 0%
Germany 11 29.73%
Ukraine 0 0%
Turkey 0 0%
Croatia 0 0%
Spain 3 8.11%
Czech Rep. 0 0%
R. of IRELAND 0 0%
Sweden 0 0%
Belgium 0 0%
Italy 1 2.70%
Austria 0 0%
Hungary 0 0%
Portugal 0 0%
Iceland 1 2.70%
Do not care 13 35.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2016, 16:02   #271
RBMark

Re: Euro 2016 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Not really an issue though is it. I'm sure if fans have an issue they wouldn't mind scratching off John Barnes' England goals or removing Raheem Sterling from the England squad. Wasn't more than a few years ago that England made an attempt to get Adnan Januzaj to commit to England. Wilfried Zaha is another. Saido Berahino, Shola Ameobi. The latter represting both England and Nigeria.

Doesn't stop at Football though, I'm sure Somalia fancy one of Mo Farah's gold medals.

If Wales had failed to qualify they'd have been Welsh. Get to the semi finals and they're English. Andy Murray's British when he wins.

Should be more ashamed that overlooked English talent is doing better than the supposed elite. On paper and bar Bale I can't see a single Welsh player making the England team, on the pitch however they've all performed infinitely better than England.

I 100% agree with you!
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2016, 16:18   #272
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Its only really the last paragraph that worries me... The state of English football and the confirmation that our National pool consists of 23 players.

I'm not suggesting any of the Welsh team are massively worse players but they do have that bit in their teeth. They're no Rooney's or Kane's. Theyve got nothing to lose and everything to gain by putting every bit of themselves into it. Besides Bale again, they're not 200k a week players going back to massive cheques and a mansion. They play as a team and put 100% into it. Iceland are no different.

What you've got with England are a bunch of talented league players that know their international performance will have no effect on their season ahead.

Its a hard situation to be in with two common factors.

1) There's not a single England player that's the best in the world at their position.
2)Literally no determination to prove anything at International level.

Number 1 is your Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil and co over recent history and all history for that matter. They all have those players.

Number 2 are your Welsh, Irish and Icelandic teams. Whom all have that determination.

We're a mediocre team with fans that believe we are entitled to win.

I stopped believing that back in 2006. I should know and learn from my own club about entitlement. The giant Newcastle United. Big fanbase, big money, big stadium, fans that think the club is elite, plenty of Big money flops, home to absolute legends of the game both on the pitch and as manager. One European trophy donkeys ago, a pretty respectable European record. Near misses with the Premier League years ago. Inconsistency, Steve McClaren, Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson. Embarresment, slight highs and incredible lows.

Take it all in and it sounds almost identical to the England team.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 02-07-2016 at 17:17.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 16:25   #273
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMark View Post
So stating what is a FACT, that 9 Welsh players were born and raised in England to at least one English parent is incorrect?
Where have I said you were wrong?

I just don't know why you feel the need to point it out unless it's just jealousy and bitterness.

Quote:
Stating A Welsh player committed a foul in the box that should of been a penalty is incorrect? Stating a Welsh player committed a foul just outside the box that should of been a free kick is incorrect?

Argentina won via a hand ball against England, no one forgets. France beat Ireland due to an unpunished handball. Wales won, but they won without pride, to me that makes me ashamed to be British, a guy in our office today said he was ashamed to be Welsh. I just wish they had won fair and square with no question marks.
We're not asking you to be proud. As I said, leave that to us.

And to be honest I very much doubt your 'colleague' exists.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 16:38   #274
RBMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Where have I said you were wrong?

I just don't know why you feel the need to point it out unless it's just jealousy and bitterness.

We're not asking you to be proud. As I said, leave that to us.

And to be honest I very much doubt your 'colleague' exists.

Im not going to argue with you, I hope you enjoy your win. But no matter what you say, it's tarnished and I wish it wasn't! I wish the penalty and free kick situation never happened. Then we could be proud of a British team in the Euros. It seems the Irish, Scottish, northern Irish and English want to be distanced from this Welsh team. I'm not saying they cheated there way to the semis, that's for others to decide.
Old 02-07-2016, 16:56   #275
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
It seems the Irish, Scottish, northern Irish and English want to be distanced from this Welsh team.
First I've heard of it. The vast majority of home country supporters I know have been pleased for us.
Old 02-07-2016, 17:08   #276
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
First I've heard of it. The vast majority of home country supporters I know have been pleased for us.
Indeed as l was talking to my brothers this morning and they were very pleased for Wales as myself and my partner were but alas a certain poster on CF seems to be talking through their rather one eyed mind it seems lately.
Old 02-07-2016, 17:15   #277
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

You mean their brown eyed mind

Other than generic trolls everyone I've spoken to has been pleased and impressed with Wales so far.
Old 02-07-2016, 17:21   #278
RBMark

Quote:
You mean their brown eyed mind

Other than generic trolls everyone I've spoken to has been pleased and impressed with Wales so far.
I'm a big football guy, I play 5a side on a Wednesday and Capgemini league on Thursday (work) plus Sunday league on a Sunday so a lot of the people I interact with are football guys. Unfortunately the talking point is the disallowed penalty and the disallowed free kick. It's sad that Wales have players happy to cheat.
Old 02-07-2016, 17:49   #279
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Better term is probably 'not given'. I'd use disallowed to describe either an offisde goal or a decision that's then overturned.

Stuff like this stopped bothering me years ago. Especially given our own prolific cheaters. Ashley Young leading the way as king flop.

Plenty of times its went against us too, Lampard vs Germany and what is possibly some of the worst refereeing in history with Chelsea vs Barcelona at Stamford bridge in which match fixing suspicions were brought about because of multiple blatant penalty decisions not being given.

You can clearly label a diver as a cheat but can hardly tar a challenge from an opposing player which the ref got wrong with that brush. I can't remember a single occasion in which the challenger got up after a none decision and remarked 'that's a penalty'

Old Diego and Henry again that's what I'd label a cheat.

There's still an occasion from my own I question. Newcastle hold the record for the biggest comeback in Premier League history. I still to this day wonder what Newcastle's second penalty was given for.
Old 02-07-2016, 17:49   #280
RBMark

https://youtu.be/G9M9Vaa4wUI

Why?
Old 02-07-2016, 17:52   #281
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

They've given their reasons but its not like I'd believe that. Not bothered though. Just wouldn't go on that way myself if Sunderland went down.

Probably just enjoying their chance to be significant in World football for a change ( not meant in a malicious way)
Old 02-07-2016, 18:07   #282
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else think Christaino Ronaldo acts like a spoilt child when things don't go Portugal's way? That's what I've seen from the last two matches imo
The Portuguese play around Ronaldo.

Wales play as a team.

People have been saying Portugal are playing carp.
Old 02-07-2016, 18:24   #283
RBMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
They've given their reasons but its not like I'd believe that. Not bothered though. Just wouldn't go on that way myself if Sunderland went down.

Probably just enjoying their chance to be significant in World football for a change ( not meant in a malicious way)
I have never seen a Scottish, Irish, Northern Irish, English team act in such a vile way. This Welsh team are an embarrassment too many many decent honest fair Welsh people.

This tournament will not be remembered fondly for the Welsh.
Old 02-07-2016, 18:42   #284
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Strange how none of the national media seemed to report it this way...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 18:55   #285
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I have never seen a Scottish, Irish, Northern Irish, English team act in such a vile way. This Welsh team are an embarrassment too many many decent honest fair Welsh people.

This tournament will not be remembered fondly for the Welsh.
Vile???

Are you being serious or are you just a wind up?