Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

Old 25-02-2012, 17:59   #91
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Alot of people think VM will have a single fat pipe out to the entire internet and working on that principle if they see they can get full speed from one place they will assume anywhere they dont get full speed from the other end is to blame.
This is one of the best points mentioned in this thread. The same applies to other ISPs and many of the general public's understanding of how "the internet" works.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2012, 18:04   #92
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
This is one of the best points mentioned in this thread. The same applies to other ISPs and many of the general public's understanding of how "the internet" works.
yes i woul totally agree i think a intenret lesson and how it works would be grat thing for all non it people in the world
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 13:22   #93
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
it doesnt help that VM promote this idea stating that if you can get full speed from their own speed test server, then its the sites fault
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 23:28   #94
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

What if you get a higher speed than your supposed too?

Using TBB Broadband usage meter this afternoon and peaked at 45Mbps and several times over 40.
I did check and i am still on 30. Anyone any ideas??
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 00:21   #95
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I find the TBB speed test totally inaccurate. In my case my 50 meg circuit is reported at 35/3.4 whereas other speed test sites report 45 to 50 /4.7.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 00:58   #96
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

VMs routing to TBB is completley fubar so all results to there are invalid IMO
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12   #97
leexgx
Inactive

Services: VM 100mb/5mb, Linksys E3200 super fast router, cable tv
leexgx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
it doesnt help that VM promote this idea stating that if you can get full speed from their own speed test server, then its the sites fault
i had that issue as well i had issues and still do from time to time with packet loss,i reported it but they kept on saying the connection is fine as it gets full speed from there test server (that happens to be inside the network) i know the site can provide full speed

my on going issue is with packet loss at the router edge or network edge (not sure what you call it), VM get there bandwidth from an provider that links to the super pipes around uk and the world and that's who is making the issues (with BT i only see these issues with bad ADSL lines as there QOS makes sure that packets have priority over speed, where as VM seems to be the other way round more so on Over loaded nodes) large amount of packet loss is not acceptable, but you should always make sure the local house to cab with VM is good as that can do it as well (power levels, SNR)

when i was on the old 20mb service i had 0 packet loss i was quite happy

most of time now i do get the full speed of 50mb as long as i am not in packet loss land
good idea to do an ping test as well to make sure you not dropping packets as if you are you get low speedtests and jumpy on FPS games (jumping back to last spot you was at if you drop to many packets)
ping google.co.uk -n 99999 -w 1000
ping bbc.co.uk -n 99999 -w 1000
-n pings constantly and -w is the timeout as it should never be higher then 1 second really it should be no higher then 100ms but google can be up to 200ms
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:55   #98
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

-t is to ping constantly. -n 99999 is just a stupid way of achieving the same thing.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:04   #99
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
VMs routing to TBB is completley fubar so all results to there are invalid IMO
That's a bit sweeping, Craigie. These are speed tests so what is the routing doing to those tests?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:42   #100
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
That's a bit sweeping, Craigie. These are speed tests so what is the routing doing to those tests?
Dont really know but TBB claim its a VM fault

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/pri...65&type=thread
Old 12-03-2012, 12:50   #101
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

craig i dnt want to disappoint you but tbb is reporting my 50mb connection as 48mb down 4.8mb up so it does work there might eb some routing issue but i dnt think it the otue cause fo the problem with most virign cusotmer problems with tbb

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

craig can you do me a favour and run the tbb on a linux live cd please i am interested what yoru resutl is
Old 12-03-2012, 13:13   #102
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Dont really know but TBB claim its a VM fault

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/pri...65&type=thread
That's not how I read the TBB thread. I think (for credibility) we've gotta be careful with statements like it's VM's routing.

Old 12-03-2012, 13:18   #103
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

sephi as i stated abvoe your post i can achvie the speed on tbb so it cant really bea rotuing issue, there might eb some rotuing issues but i dnt think it is the underlying cause of the problem
Old 12-03-2012, 13:25   #104
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
sephi as i stated abvoe your post i can achvie the speed on tbb so it cant really bea rotuing issue, there might eb some rotuing issues but i dnt think it is the underlying cause of the problem
I agree with you. I wanted Craigie to justify his diagnosis because if proven it would be very serious. But the thread he pointed to certainly doesn't blame VM (from the skimming I gave it); someone suggested it might be a problem with VM, but it didn't look like a convincing answer to me.

I'm equally interested in understanding why the speedtest.net results at Namesco London are inconcistent (in my experience) with the Namesco London BBMax tests.

This is an excellent topic.

Old 12-03-2012, 13:33   #105
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I agree with you. I wanted Craigie to justify his diagnosis because if proven it would be very serious. But the thread he pointed to certainly doesn't blame VM (from the skimming I gave it); someone suggested it might be a problem with VM, but it didn't look like a convincing answer to me.

I'm equally interested in understanding why the speedtest.net results at Namesco London are inconcistent (in my experience) with the Namesco London BBMax tests.

This is an excellent topic.

lol yes it is, to think i jsut started it for novie user to show dnt take ti for granted yoru pc can skew th results sometimes, but i knew ther emore to it than that but didnt want to try explain to novice about it, but the thread has eolved into the more deeper issue of what might be causing the issue and it is starting to get mroe interesting trying to ind out why there is so many incosiant between servers