Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Outstanding amount - Not a customer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Outstanding amount - Not a customer

Old 09-04-2014, 23:41   #16
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Outstanding amount - Not a customer

I had similar problem with Talk Talk when i moved here as the guy died and left a bill for phone and internet and they kept sending letters.

In the end i got a letter from my solicitor stating that i had bought the house from the guys family and sent a copy of documentation proving it, and thankfully it stopped.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2014, 18:34   #17
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Got another letter from them today so now looking at proper legal avenues if anyone has any proper advice apart from just sending them an invoice for my time. These letters stress me out and now they are going to pay for that.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:39   #18
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

An invoice for your time will get you nowhere and will achieve nothing but to waste your (valuable) time. If these bills are not in your name, all you should be doing is returning them, unopened, with "not known at this address" scrawled on the front in your neatest handwriting.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:43   #19
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
An invoice for your time will get you nowhere and will achieve nothing but to waste your (valuable) time. If these bills are not in your name, all you should be doing is returning them, unopened, with "not known at this address" scrawled on the front in your neatest handwriting.
Tried that and contacted them by phone to explain the whole situation, as stated previously in the thread. Now past that stage.

Why do you think an invoice for time will not achieve anything? It has worked with many other companies. Just getting some more ideas for things I can do without paying a solicitor at this stage but I may go that far in the end anyway. They won't be getting away with this harassment.
Old 28-04-2014, 18:45   #20
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I have known it to work where there is something physical and tangible involved; some friends of mine got a large gas tank removed from their premises by threatening to charge the owner ground rent if they did not take it away within 28 days. But that is slightly different, as there was a great big metal gas tank involved, they gave prior notice and they were running commercial premises, so it was fairly easy for them to establish a reasonable cost for hosting the tank that any court would enforce.

If you start invoicing them for something as intangible as your administration time I think they will ignore you, and unless you are already self employed and can demonstrate what your time is worth, what argument will you take to court in order to force them to pay when they continue to ignore you?
Old 28-04-2014, 18:46   #21
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Why get stressed over something that isn't even addressed to you?

Just return them or bin them. Thats What I do if I get any mail for the previous tennent.
Old 28-04-2014, 19:14   #22
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If you start invoicing them for something as intangible as your administration time I think they will ignore you, and unless you are already self employed and can demonstrate what your time is worth, what argument will you take to court in order to force them to pay when they continue to ignore you?
That I can do and my hourly rate is far from cheap too. It would probably cost them more than the debt they are chasing in the long run. Hopefully someone here can give me ideas from their own experience if they have gone as far as court.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why get stressed over something that isn't even addressed to you?

Just return them or bin them. Thats What I do if I get any mail for the previous tennent.
You can't always choose what gets you stressed and what doesn't.

This property is new, no one has lived here before, ever. Yet someone in the property will likely have to deal with debt collectors turning up and the stress involved with that. Tried to deal with it yet VM just want to keep the harassment going and you wonder why this stresses me?

Still looking for any actual useful advice
Old 28-04-2014, 19:21   #23
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Don't bin it, return the mail with a letter from you saying that this is not your bill and to stop sending them to your address ask them to write a letter back stating that they have received your letter and that no other mail will come from them with regards to this matter otherwise you will be seeking legal advice at their expense as you have notified them on this matter. It's worth a try and who knows it might work.
Old 28-04-2014, 19:25   #24
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Already returned two letters with those details weenie and a 30 minute phone call. The last letter returned had a note explaining I would charge them for returning future letters.
Old 28-04-2014, 19:33   #25
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Bin them and to hell with them for not listening to you their problem and as it's not your bill you have nothing to worry about. I know what you mean with VM as I will be leaving them at the end of the year not for their service but because of the manners of their staff when you phone them with a problem that is nothing to do with you or your fault. Not all VM staff are bad just the ones that deal with customers and non customers LOL the staff they have on the phone ...
Old 28-04-2014, 19:36   #26
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
That I can do and my hourly rate is far from cheap too. It would probably cost them more than the debt they are chasing in the long run. Hopefully someone here can give me ideas from their own experience if they have gone as far as court.
Now you're talking.

The important considerations are, document everything you do in detail, and be realistic about your costs. Judges don't like blatantly inflated claims.
Old 28-04-2014, 19:47   #27
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Cheers. This isn't about making money but I will make sure their wallet is hit hard if my family have to deal with debt collectors at the door after the situation has been explained to them so many times.

Weenie, VM are by far the worst company I have ever had to deal with when trying to resolve an issue. Left VM a couple of years ago and now wish I had done it so much sooner!
Old 28-04-2014, 20:15   #28
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

You could always do something similar to this.

The next letter I got would be returned with a covering letter saying that if they continue to contact you incorrectly then you will have no choice but to charge them for your waisted time. I would send the letter recorded delivery and maybe even mention something along the lines of them having to opt out of your proposed charges within 14 days of receipt, and point out if they don't specifically tell you they're not going to pay you, then you can assume they are agreeing to the costs involved if they send anymore letters. I would set out my (reasonable) costs too so they can't say you didn't inform them.

Then if the letters continue send an invoice, followed at a suitable interval by a reminder, then it's a trip to the local County Court. It worked for the guy in the link so it could work for you. Just think you could end up emplying your own debt collectors.....

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 20:19   #29
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

I remember reading that story in the past Grim. Shows that the little guy can be succesful

Wish I had returned the last letter recorded delivery now. Kicking myself for that. Great advice though.

The invoice was something I was thinking of doing but wasn't sure if that was something the county court would accept. So thanks for posting that link, very helpful!
Old 28-04-2014, 21:34   #30
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Good luck Qtx with regards to your problem with VM I hope it comes to an end soon for you as it will not be too nice for you or your family if debt collectors do come to your door especially after the situation has been explained to them so many times.