Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Xbox One Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Microsoft Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Xbox One Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 13:37   #181
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig
re: The Xbox One Thread

After reading this https://www.gamepointsnow.com/blog/x...h-of-preowned/ and here http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22812743 it's definately off my to buy list unless Sony do something equally stupid its the ps4 for us
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2013, 14:47   #182
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdraig View Post
After reading this https://www.gamepointsnow.com/blog/x...h-of-preowned/ and here http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22812743 it's definately off my to buy list unless Sony do something equally stupid its the ps4 for us
Why? I ask that as i dont feel this is any worse than now. You can share your games with upto 10 people and sell buy and sell your games
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 14:58   #183
Jameseh

Everything is done through Xbox Live & Microsoft, you can't just take your game to a mates, stick it in the disc tray and play. The '10 people' refers to upto 10 people in your household using your account (though not GamerTag).

Plus the publishers can disallow trade ins, you can guarantee EA will be the first to do so, probably followed by Activision.
Old 07-06-2013, 15:20   #184
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Sony will be doing a very similar thing with the PS4. Also if you look at the EULA in any of your game manuals you will see that you don't actually own the game anyways. Also the publishers can already prevent trade ins if you read the EULA.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 15:28   #185
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

The bottom line is:

The market shall speak
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 15:49   #186
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Everything is done through Xbox Live & Microsoft, you can't just take your game to a mates, stick it in the disc tray and play. The '10 people' refers to upto 10 people in your household using your account (though not GamerTag).

Plus the publishers can disallow trade ins, you can guarantee EA will be the first to do so, probably followed by Activision.
PS4 will do the same thing. This is the downside to cloud based gaming and storage but that is the way tech is going. Steam is virutally the same way on PC anyway so i cant understand why people dont like this. If you go to a mates house you can sign in to yout XBL gamertag and play the game on your mates console so in a way it is like taking a disk to his house

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Sony will be doing a very similar thing with the PS4. Also if you look at the EULA in any of your game manuals you will see that you don't actually own the game anyways. Also the publishers can already prevent trade ins if you read the EULA.
Sony will do the same thing or very simular
Old 07-06-2013, 16:17   #187
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Roll on Monday for hopefully alot more info on both consoles.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 16:55   #188
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Why? I ask that as i dont feel this is any worse than now. You can share your games with upto 10 people and sell buy and sell your games
You obviously don't have many second hand games we have many we buy some new but most are pre owned with this system that will become prohibitly expensive. Heart all our "live" friends are now looking at Sony . Could be not just Xbox sales it hurts to as we use windows phones to link to live and chat . I am already looking at android devices and apps from Sony to link to thier game platform and although I just bought a Dell rt tablet/netbook for my daughter the next laptop if we go Sony will likely be android/linux as most of what I do now is all browser based anyhow. So linking to friends is more of an issue now than MS compatibility.
Old 07-06-2013, 17:49   #189
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I wonder what happens if a household has 2 or more Xbox Ones and only 1 bought copy of a game, do they then have to keep registering it with each console to play it, and is there a limit to how often this can be done?

It all sounds rather complicated to me, i am glad i won't be one of these people that blindly buy the console on the first day of release without knowing the true facts.
Old 07-06-2013, 18:04   #190
nstokes
Inactive

Quote:
You obviously don't have many second hand games we have many we buy some new but most are pre owned with this system that will become prohibitly expensive. Heart all our "live" friends are now looking at Sony . Could be not just Xbox sales it hurts to as we use windows phones to link to live and chat . I am already looking at android devices and apps from Sony to link to thier game platform and although I just bought a Dell rt tablet/netbook for my daughter the next laptop if we go Sony will likely be android/linux as most of what I do now is all browser based anyhow. So linking to friends is more of an issue now than MS compatibility.
I do buy second hand games. MS have said there is no fee to register or buy the games just the normal price that stores sell them at. Its upto the dev/publisher if they want to charge extra
Old 07-06-2013, 18:27   #191
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

if you think they won't buy it I and most of the people I know won't be we also won't buy the PS4 if they do go down the same path.
I already spend more time playing games on my phone than I do on any of the consoles in the house (Wii 360 x 2 and 1 PS3) my son is most disapointed already that there is no Minecraft app for our lumias so switching to android will have him happy .
MS I think just got a little to greasy and controlling. Developers don't seem that enthusiastic either And they are not making it easy for Independant developers either.
If all else fails I am back off to playing RuneScape
Old 07-06-2013, 18:38   #192
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Steam is virutally the same way on PC anyway so i cant understand why people dont like this.
Because Steam games are urine cheap every other week, console games ain't.

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote:
...my son is most disapointed already that there is no Minecraft app for our lumias so switching to android will have him happy.
Try Survivalcraft on WP: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/st...a-7e7379325671
Old 07-06-2013, 18:48   #193
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Everything is done through Xbox Live & Microsoft, you can't just take your game to a mates, stick it in the disc tray and play.
Yes you can.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbox.com
Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required:

After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I wonder what happens if a household has 2 or more Xbox Ones and only 1 bought copy of a game, do they then have to keep registering it with each console to play it, and is there a limit to how often this can be done?

It all sounds rather complicated to me, i am glad i won't be one of these people that blindly buy the console on the first day of release without knowing the true facts.
It's explained in the Xbox.com article I linked to last night...

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbox.com
Share access to your games with everyone inside your home:

Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere:

Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Exactly. If Sony doesn't do anything similar, publishers would favour MS...

I think that Sony may just leave it all up to the publishers (it's already said there's no mandatory online requirement for the system). Then it can put on an innocent face, while laughing in private.

Instead of the system itself needing an internet connection every 24 hours, it could be on a per game basis depending on the publisher.

Play Game 1 from Publisher X? No online needed, you can play offline and you can trade it in, no restrictions.

Play Game 2 from Publisher Y? You must be online to play it, and you cannot trade it in unless you pay some sort of fee (or the person you sell it to pays a fee).

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Quote:
But why would it need to be connected if you can then just turn it off, it's clearly never off.

Infuriates me like hell because I really want to play Forza, Fable, Halo, etc.
Because making it an optional accessory like the first Kinect would split the install base again.

Including it with every Xbox One and making its connection mandatory means the developers don't have to worry about whether people have one or not: They will know that *everyone* has one.

MS messed up with the 360 when it failed to make the HDD a standard mandatory component.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 18:52   #194
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

Try sharing when you don't have net access and see how far you get under the released rules . Plus try playing games on holiday ( we take ours with on holiday for those lovely rainy days) unless you can log on there .
Old 07-06-2013, 19:07   #195
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I have just read that you can share your entire games library with upto 10 people and can be accessed on any Xbox, now if that is correct that maybe very good indeed.

Quote:
The ability to "share" your entire game library with up to ten people, who can access your games from any Xbox One, also solves many of the problems with how players familiar with discs expect to be able to share their purchases. What Microsoft is doing here is actually a step up from services like Steam, PSN, and XBLA, which don't allow for any digital sharing. It even looks like the Xbox One might be better than disc-based game sharing, in a way, because you can seemingly play your copy of the game at the same time as one of your shared library members. (As Microsoft says, "You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.")
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...se-than-hoped/