Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 22-11-2016, 21:34   #1351
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
V6 uses your home network for the same things as TiVo used it's own network connection - apps such as BBC iPlayer, Netflix and YouTube. Of course, the slow modem on TiVo would be no use for 4K streams from Netflix and YouTube.
In addition, V6 needs a faster upload to provide download of recordings to TV Anywhere app, something not possible with TiVo's very poor upload on its 10Mb internet connection.
Thanks for that. Forgot all about recordings. I guess we'll hear a lot more about recordings soon when VM launch their cloud service(s).
Old 22-11-2016, 21:58   #1352
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
The 7th is a recording and doesn't need a tuner.
Sorry, thought you meant live TV.

Quote:
V6 uses your home network for the same things as TiVo used it's own network connection - apps such as BBC iPlayer, Netflix and YouTube. Of course, the slow modem on TiVo would be no use for 4K streams from Netflix and YouTube.
In addition, V6 needs a faster upload to provide download of recordings to TV Anywhere app, something not possible with TiVo's very poor upload on its 10Mb internet connection.
Indeed, as I had to explain to the installer of my V6!

He was under the impression that it had to be connected to my modem, so it's useful for potential V6 customers to be aware of this
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 22:05   #1353
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I've seen posts online saying that anyone taking a V6 will need 100mb tier broadband - is that for the upload speed, rather than the download then?
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 22:09   #1354
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
I've seen posts online saying that anyone taking a V6 will need 100mb tier broadband - is that for the upload speed, rather than the download then?
Maybe that's to ensure that the box is not given to people on the cheaper up to 50Mbps - for commercial reasons.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 22:16   #1355
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Maybe that's to ensure that the box is not given to people on the cheaper up to 50Mbps - for commercial reasons.
Or maybe there's another speed boost on the way and 100mb will the lowest broafband tier...?

If 100 is minimum speed required then, as it stands, Player and Mix budle customers wouldn't be able to get a V6 - though Horizon has said packages are being refreshed (again already!) on the 28th...
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 22:33   #1356
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I, personally, haven't seen that limitation written down anywhere but the 50Mb tier does only have 3Mb upload which may restrict the ability to download recordings to mobile devices for offline viewing.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 23:34   #1357
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
I, personally, haven't seen that limitation written down anywhere but the 50Mb tier does only have 3Mb upload which may restrict the ability to download recordings to mobile devices for offline viewing.
For offline viewing you would download to your phone via your own wifi network, upload speed is irrelivant

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

Quote:
4k takes over 25meg, two v6s in the same house coudn't stream 4k at the same time
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 01:17   #1358
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
And many people think that is actually HD because they know they have a HD TV.

That is not a criticism; most people don't have the interest in this kind of thing that posters on forums such as this one do.
Most people's eyes aren't capable of seeing the difference at normal viewing distances, let alone 4k...unless you sit about 2 feet from the screen

---------- Post added at 01:17 ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
For offline viewing you would download to your phone via your own wifi network, upload speed is irrelivant

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

4k takes over 25meg, two v6s in the same house coudn't stream 4k at the same time
What was I saying about overloading an already saturated network?
Old 23-11-2016, 09:54   #1359
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
... or even on the 28th as that is when the prices/package changes come into effect.
What price/package changes are you referring to?

They only very recently renamed all their TV packs, moved channels around and introduced new prices.

Surely not another load of changes so soon?
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 11:58   #1360
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
...but the recording is sitting on your V6 hard disk so to download it to your mobile device would first require it to be uploaded from there before it could be downloaded to the mobile device.
Upload is important and the reason this function was never available on TiVo which could only upload at 1Mb.
Old 23-11-2016, 12:07   #1361
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Good point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Since when have vm cold called? Got phone call making me offer to return to vm what was interesting was the v6 box was offered st no extra cost wasn't a bad offer either tv m+ plus 50mb bb plus weekend calls £32.99p/m plus £14.99 connection.
I ofcourse told them no but was polite but as i said the intersting part is the new tivo being offered on such a low pack, yes i know m+ isn't called that anymore but i still have havit of refering to vm tv as m, m+, l and xl lol.
Looks like it's finally dawning on them that they have lost customers due to their recent antics.

Bet they are desperately trying to reduce churn to appease the shareholders ie allowing those on lower BB tiers to have a V6 and for only £14.99, trying to get back former customers (who by now have probably made other arrangements).

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 23-11-2016 at 12:16.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 13:09   #1362
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
...but the recording is sitting on your V6 hard disk so to download it to your mobile device would first require it to be uploaded from there before it could be downloaded to the mobile device.
Upload is important and the reason this function was never available on TiVo which could only upload at 1Mb.
Upload and download speeds within your home network are normally symmetrical. It's only once you get out on to the internet does upload become a different thing to download.

Uploads were an issue on the current TiVo because it wasn't required to be connected to your home network, so if Virgin Media had done anything with recordings, they would have had to go over the built in modem.

As mentioned on here, the V6 connects to your Hub, so it won't use the broadband upload speeds if it doesn't need to, but what's available in your home network.
Old 23-11-2016, 13:45   #1363
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Thank you for the explanation. I now retract my previous statement.
Old 23-11-2016, 14:30   #1364
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=OhReally;35871196]Most people's eyes aren't capable of seeing the difference at normal viewing distances, let alone 4k...unless you sit about 2 feet from the screen QUOTE]

The difference between SD and HD is easily distinguishable, especially if you watch most of your content in HD these days. SD channels are so blurry.

How we got by before HD, I'll never know lol
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 14:45   #1365
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Most people's eyes aren't capable of seeing the difference at normal viewing distances, let alone 4k...unless you sit about 2 feet from the screen :
The difference between SD and HD is quite remarkable on a 49" screen. I will let you know whether there is a similar difference when I start getting 4k pictures on my TV shortly. I am expecting these pictures to be quite stunning.

On a small screen, these differences are nowhere near as noticeable.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote