Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V Stuff is Live

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

V Stuff is Live

Old 07-04-2009, 10:18   #46
Caspar
Inactive

Caspar has reached the bronze age
Caspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze age
Re: V Stuff is Live

What I do like about VStuff is that it'll backup any data location, as a free service

I have a NAS attached to my home server, which I then map to my WinXP machine via a share from server Most online backup service just won't do network drive backups, unless you buy their full service. I like mozy.com, they offer a free 2GB service, but it won't backup network drives, so it's useless. I'd have to sign up just to test it.

Vstuff - I'm really having issues with, I select the backup folders, but nothing backups up. I then read the instructions properly so turn on the file types My selected pictures backup fine, but then stop half way through, and I can't find a way to restart it.

Also Vstuff has decided to backup my internet explorer cookies!?!!? They're not even selected, so god knows how it decided to backup 'em up!

ok, getting serious... I think some will like this service and the backup tool, but from my perspective with a lifetime of IT expereince and running corporate IT backup and DR procedures I think it's highly un-intuitive and I simply can't fathom how to use it! on the edge of giving up! Symantec Backup Exec is bloody easier to use!
Caspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2009, 10:21   #47
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
Oo Eeeerrrr how unlike you to defend VM. What they should bother doing is getting their network right so then they will be top dog instead

I simply said I run an experiment to test the service and posted my results which were the upload to the service is to slow to cause you to hit STM. I also said snapfish do very good photographs

Live mesh is M$HQ version which has the same I think online storage but also allows remote access to your PC over the web

Adrive gives a basic service with 50 gig storage free

You can turn your googlemail into an online storage drive (remember I did this for the clan ages ago?)mines at 7.5 gig and rising

The there ishumi.com another one with 10 gig
None of it as good as Vstuff and would still depend on your upload, which for me is fine being on 50 meg.

Plus i would not trust anything from Micro$oft it will plainly be beta quality just like there main OS.

Plus you know me better than to say i always defend VM because that's wrong i don't

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:34   #48
zing_deleted

no dude I meant it was a surprise that you were because I knwo you dont missunderstanding there

Adrive gives you 5 times the storage ok you have to manually do it but I would not want a service running without my say so anyway.

Live Mesh is far more versatile I do not understand why you think V Stuff is better it just isnt in fact it auto backs up folders and files you set up the same as VM and it allows remote access easy
Old 07-04-2009, 10:43   #49
Caspar
Inactive

Caspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze age

Quote:
no dude I meant it was a surprise that you were because I knwo you dont missunderstanding there

Adrive gives you 5 times the storage ok you have to manually do it but I would not want a service running without my say so anyway.

Live Mesh is far more versatile I do not understand why you think V Stuff is better it just isnt in fact it auto backs up folders and files you set up the same as VM and it allows remote access easy

Mesh was a lot easier to setup, within minutes and is alot more intuitive....the only issue is that you can't backup network drives or NAS drives.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:44   #50
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspar View Post

Vstuff - I'm really having issues with, I select the backup folders, but nothing backups up. I then read the instructions properly so turn on the file types My selected pictures backup fine, but then stop half way through, and I can't find a way to restart it.

Also Vstuff has decided to backup my internet explorer cookies!?!!? They're not even selected, so god knows how it decided to backup 'em up!

ok, getting serious... I think some will like this service and the backup tool, but from my perspective with a lifetime of IT expereince and running corporate IT backup and DR procedures I think it's highly un-intuitive and I simply can't fathom how to use it! on the edge of giving up! Symantec Backup Exec is bloody easier to use!
Give up ! I wish I could give up I cant find anyway to stop it once its started on the backup
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:11   #51
Caspar
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
Give up ! I wish I could give up I cant find anyway to stop it once its started on the backup
Uninstall it That'll work!

tbh, I think I already have given up on using it as a backup solution, it's unholy crap!

I'm only interested now to get the free 25prints pm. Have a desognated directory to online print and then move pictures into that each month to print online.

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

Quote:
Uninstall it That'll work!

tbh, I think I already have given up on using it as a backup solution, it's unholy crap!

I'm only interested now to get the free 25prints pm. Have a desognated directory to online print and then move pictures into that each month to print online.
ok what a con!

I've uploaded a few pics that I want to print using my 25 FREE prints per month allowance.

Once you've chosen the pictures you're presented witt the below:

Quote:
You have selected 9 photos to be sent to our print partner Snapfish.

Here's what to do next:

Have your credit card details at the ready to register. Don't worry Snapfish won't charge you anything without your consent.
Your postage and packaging is free for your first 3 print orders.
After that, you'll only pay for the delivery of your free prints. Plus, anything else you decide to order, like gifts with your prints on them.
Let us know which address you'd like them delivered to.
Once you've confirmed your order Snapfish will print and deliver them straight to your door.
So I have to supply credit card details for a free service!?! and then you're told only P&P "3 print orders" are free?!?!? I thought it was 25 per month.

It's a con, "free 25 per month", so you take the time to register and the whole effort to then find out you have to pay something! By this time, you want to do it so are now reluctant to not proceed! Tricky twitters!

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

Quote:
Order Photo Prints - It's absolutely free!
no it's not!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:46   #52
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Quote:
and then you're told only P&P "3 print orders" are free?!?!? I thought it was 25 per month.

It's a con, "free 25 per month", so you take the time to register and the whole effort to then find out you have to pay something! By this time, you want to do it so are now reluctant to not proceed! Tricky twitters!

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

no it's not!

You DO get 25 free prints every month, and it does say about the P&P on every page on the V Stuff website:
http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginm...find-out-more/

Quote:
**Free prints available for 12 months following activation of V Stuff. Postage and packaging for the first three free print orders is free of charge. Free prints must be used within the month, and can't be carried over. See full terms and conditions here
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:51   #53
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Then its simple use them instead, No one is forcing you to use this.

Please show me the others like this that are free and i can see for myself.

How typical that Virgin try to give us something extra and at no additional cost and all everyone can do is pull it apart. I honestly don't know why they bother.
Some people on this forum wouldn't be happy with free HD, and free 50MB connections...
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 13:16   #54
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I do not think anyone has to worry to much about STM . As a little test ive been uploading some photographs 600 meg in total. Started before 5pm and its still only uploaded 500 meg so I am guessing they cannot handle full upload speed even from a 20 meg user let alone a 50
That's odd, a 50Mbit user shifted 24GB by 3PM apparently, assuming that upload was started at bang on midnight this would have been an equivalent transfer rate of about 4Mbit. Pretty good considering you'd imagine 24GB of files to be largely already compressed music and video which render the built in compression of the client at best pretty much ineffective.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
None of it as good as Vstuff and would still depend on your upload, which for me is fine being on 50 meg.

Plus i would not trust anything from Micro$oft it will plainly be beta quality just like there main OS.

Plus you know me better than to say i always defend VM because that's wrong i don't
http://www.adrive.com/ seems pretty good.

If you consider 1.75Mbit to be a 'fine' upload that's your prerogative.

So you trust http://www.steek.com/ over MS - also your prerogative.

What VM can do is offer a small reduction on the bill in return for foregoing access to this stuff so that customers aren't paying for things they aren't using.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Some people on this forum wouldn't be happy with free HD, and free 50MB connections...
What's worse - the complainer or the person complaining about the complainers? You're happy, some people aren't. That's life.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 13:35   #55
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

I have tried this software - the performance is not great at all - upload bounced between 128kbps and 540kbps according to an upload meter. Please note the scale of the graph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vstuff.JPG (15.3 KB, 16 views)
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 13:58   #56
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
as I said I run a test to see for myself if it was any results and I posted the resutls of that test thats all

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
I have tried this software - the performance is not great at all - upload bounced between 128kbps and 540kbps according to an upload meter. Please note the scale of the graph.
pretty much matches my tests
Old 07-04-2009, 14:32   #57
Caspar
Inactive

I ranted on earlier in this thread about how free isn't free, that you only get 3 orders of prints for free then you have to start paying P&P, which is 99p based only only 25 prints per job. This isn't too bad, photo printing is not something I do, mainly out of laziness!....but this process isn't too bad and can enrich your life somewhat! the other products that snapfish.com offer look ok too and may buy at somepoint (ahha got you mr consumer, have some cross-selling! ...yeah w/e loser!)

Anyway, I mentioned above that you need to supply your credit card details, even though I'm not going to be charged anything at least for the first3 orders. Well the VM pages are wrong, I've not been asked for card details I think this bogus disclaimer should be removed as it does really put you off!

I've now ordered my batch of free 25 prints, saving an apparant £2.25. I await to see the quality.

VStuff is still crap!
Old 07-04-2009, 16:35   #58
zing_deleted

snapfish is very good ive had poster prints mugs all sorts off them. They were given the best of award for this type of process by the Which magazine . Jessops use them and others do also they I believe are a HP subsidary
Old 07-04-2009, 21:31   #59
KenK
Inactive

KenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to all

Quote:
What VM can do is offer a small reduction on the bill in return for foregoing access to this stuff so that customers aren't paying for things they aren't using.
Now, there's a thought!
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 21:55   #60
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

That would never happen as it is a free service so no costs involved in the same way that the email service is free and provided as part of the service but with no requirement that you actually use them.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote