Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] The News Corp scandal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] The News Corp scandal

Old 20-07-2011, 18:40   #826
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: [Update] The News Corp scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Which is a total no-win and a complete honeypot question. Of course someone at News International at some point would have mentioned it to him, however as soon as he gives an inch and admits that the Labour party will take a mile in their obsession with trying to score points.

Still it means they can continue to avoid having any policies for a while longer so long as they can continue to get mileage out of this.

I'll repeat my previous comments on this issue, there are a number of extremely major issues ongoing in the country and the world, a judicial enquiry has been initiated, there is really nothing more to do with this other than political points scoring and mud slinging. Our law makers have far better things to do than the things Labour are trying to keep at the forefront.
Would not the Conservatives do exactly the same thing if they were in opposition.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-07-2011, 18:51   #827
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Ahem....

From the BBC How could he answer about conversations he never had?
That was the issue. He initially said that he had spoken with people at BSkyB and when challenged with who he had these conversations he kept saying he wasn't involved with the decision process.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 18:53   #828
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
That was the issue. He initially said that he had spoken with people at BSkyB and when challenged with who he had these conversations he kept saying he wasn't involved with the decision process.
Perhaps Mr Cameron should take a lie detector.
Old 20-07-2011, 18:53   #829
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I'll repeat my previous comments on this issue, there are a number of extremely major issues ongoing in the country and the world, a judicial enquiry has been initiated, there is really nothing more to do with this other than political points scoring and mud slinging. Our law makers have far better things to do than the things Labour are trying to keep at the forefront. Truly a party with absolutely no policies right now, just a line up of attack dogs waiting for a new angle of attack. The country deserves far better from the opposition than the turgid pile of excrement that is the current Labour party. If they weren't so crap it may encourage the pretty lacklustre government to up their game.
The Inquires are running but the question over Cameron hiring Coulson remains. Did he know about the phone hacking, did he hear the warnings from what now appears to be many sources, did he hire him on someones recommendation. Etc.
Old 20-07-2011, 19:21   #830
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
That is not what he was asked though, was it. He was asked about conversations he had at anytime with News International's executives, not whether he was part of the decison making process.
Very typical of you to ignore people's points yet again.

I don't see you discussing the issue that Gordon Brown was having Murdoch Senior round the back door of number 10 on quite a few occasions, when Labour was in power. Conveniently slipped your attention that hasn't it.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 19:29   #831
RizzyKing

Cameron has said he asked coulson if he had any involvement in the phone hacking and was assured by andy coulson he had played no part in it add to that the checks made on coulson clearly came up ok and cameron employed him. Of all the issues in this whole affair i cannot help thinking gettiing bogged down in andy coulson is letting a lot of other people off a very big hook.

Now cameron has come out and said he regrets hiring the guy and in hindsight wouldn't do it again what more do people want from him. I think we need to get back on point here and not keep getting distracted on this one issue that only exists because people want cameron's head on a plate whether it belongs there or not.

We have at least ten years of politicians relations with NI to cast an eye over and that period includes the tories and labour i personally want the investigation to get going fully get to the facts and whoever may have acted badly be shown and punished.
Old 20-07-2011, 19:38   #832
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Cameron has said he asked coulson if he had any involvement in the phone hacking and was assured by andy coulson he had played no part in it add to that the checks made on coulson clearly came up ok and cameron employed him. Of all the issues in this whole affair i cannot help thinking gettiing bogged down in andy coulson is letting a lot of other people off a very big hook.

Now cameron has come out and said he regrets hiring the guy and in hindsight wouldn't do it again what more do people want from him. I think we need to get back on point here and not keep getting distracted on this one issue that only exists because people want cameron's head on a plate whether it belongs there or not.

We have at least ten years of politicians relations with NI to cast an eye over and that period includes the tories and labour i personally want the investigation to get going fully get to the facts and whoever may have acted badly be shown and punished.
Old 20-07-2011, 20:10   #833
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I always thought the Millipede would turn out to be a one-trick insect, and it seems as if we may just have seen it.

He landed a few good punches on Cameron over the past few days as regards Andy Coulson. The problem now is, he seems mesmerised by his own success and unable to do anything more than keep repeating it over and over again.

Unless any completely new information comes out that compromises Cameron to the point of resignation, Millipede needs to just get on with the job of opposition, reminding himself that the general election is still almost 4 years away and that no matter how much he might like to keep banging on about the News of the Screws, that election will be decided on the economy as it stands in 2015, not a political scandal from 2011.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 20:11   #834
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Now cameron has come out and said he regrets hiring the guy and in hindsight wouldn't do it again what more do people want from him.
Quite simply they don't believe him. The background check coming up with nothing seems odd given the degree to which we now know he was involved, some of this is new evidence, but some were listed in 2009 when this story first broke. Then, before the last election, more concrete warnings were given by some members of the Lib Dems and by some people in Fleet Street. Cameron says they never got to him, instead going to aides who negated to pass it on. That seems odd to people.

That said I think that it's not a big deal. However Labour have sensed a weakness they can exploit and that is politics. There was no great annoyance when the same tactics were employed against Brown.
Old 20-07-2011, 20:16   #835
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I always thought the Millipede would turn out to be a one-trick insect, and it seems as if we may just have seen it.

He landed a few good punches on Cameron over the past few days as regards Andy Coulson. The problem now is, he seems mesmerised by his own success and unable to do anything more than keep repeating it over and over again.

Unless any completely new information comes out that compromises Cameron to the point of resignation, Millipede needs to just get on with the job of opposition, reminding himself that the general election is still almost 4 years away and that no matter how much he might like to keep banging on about the News of the Screws, that election will be decided on the economy as it stands in 2015, not a political scandal from 2011.
Better to be a one trick insect rather then a elephant who has conviently suddenly got memory loss.
Old 20-07-2011, 20:26   #836
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Very typical of you to ignore people's points yet again.

I don't see you discussing the issue that Gordon Brown was having Murdoch Senior round the back door of number 10 on quite a few occasions, when Labour was in power. Conveniently slipped your attention that hasn't it.
That's is because Brown is not a conservative,

I seem to remember one of the admins or mods asking him not to drag party politics in to this thread and he seems to have ignored that as well.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 20:38   #837
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post

I seem to remember one of the admins or mods asking him not to drag party politics in to this thread and he seems to have ignored that as well.
Obviously it's ok to discuss matters relevant to the topic. For the last week or so politics has entered the thread.
Old 20-07-2011, 20:46   #838
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Obviously it's ok to discuss matters relevant to the topic. For the last week or so politics has entered the thread.
I agree but considering this happened on both sides watch some seem to think it did not and it all happened in the last year.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 20:49   #839
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I agree but considering this happened on both sides watch some seem to think it did not and it all happened in the last year.
Labour's previous/current relationship with News International and the press is obviously also on topic, as is what they did or didn't do on this matter before.
Old 20-07-2011, 21:05   #840
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:

Agreed!

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Quote:

I suggested it was pointless to drag Party politics into the thread as both parties do not have a clean slate on this issue and that Milleband was on a hiding to nothing if he persists..as Labour won't get into power over this issue precisely because Labour was just as guilty if not MORE guilty as most of this happened on their watch.
Though of course he may regard himself as not being as tainted as the rest of the party.