Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

Old 09-03-2004, 21:04   #61
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
All rwady to sort this one out when you are m8
Hi Stu

Mr "Trouble" is back - been to see my daughter on her birthday.

Slave PC connected via the cable and connection sharing has just powered
up and a pop up on the main machine said "Local area now connected at 100mbps" - but no access to the net etc from the slave PC. I have not touched any of the configuration settings on the slave PC.

snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2004, 21:05   #62
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodvan
Hi Stu

Mr "Trouble" is back - been to see my daughter on her birthday.

Slave PC connected via the cable and connection sharing has just powered
up and a pop up on the main machine said "Local area now connected at 100mbps" - but no access to the net etc from the slave PC. I have not touched any of the configuration settings on the slave PC.

Give me a ring when you are ready m8... I am sure we can sort this out for ya

P.S. Wish your daughter happy birthday for me - how old is she ?
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 22:30   #63
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

I ended up recomending buying a router after the phone call as ICS did not like three interfaces.

I could not seem to get ICS to work with three network adaptors !

Anyone know if it supports this. I could not find anything about three adaptors on the web. !!!

Adaptors :-

1. 10/100 nic connected to STB ICS enabled and firewalled.
2. 10/100 nic connected to other desktop.
3. wireless card connected to laptop.
Old 13-03-2004, 21:47   #64
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Folks
Well, with a MILLION thanks to Stuartbe I now have my laptop wireless linked to a Belkin wireless router which is also hard wired to two other desktop PCs - next to each other, "hers" and "mine". Yipeee. It could never have been done without Stu.

I started by trying just a wireless card in the main PC that is linked to the ntl set-top box. We (I mean Stu really) did manage to get that working with a wireless link to the laptop - but then the existing hardwire link from the main PC to the slave PC would no longer work. Mrs. Snodvan was most unhappy about that! Lots of fiddling/ messing and headaches but finally I took the advice Stu actually gave me in one of his very early replies to my plea for help - I bought a wireless router and took the wireless card out of the main PC. One day I will use that wireless card to link another computer (I guess).

The Belkin wireless router box/ book says "set up in 3 minutes with Easy Install Wizard". Ha Ha - rolls about laughing NOW. It took 2 days and my computer room looked like an explosion in a spaghetti factory once I pulled all the workstations away from the wall to access the back of the machines. OK, a lot of the wires were for various audio units but there were still an AMAZING lot of others. Once the machines were all working/ wireless link established then I was a "good boy" and I have tidied all the cables into neat runs. We do not seem to have a smiley for "smug self satisfaction".

There is still an odd problem or two (like I no longer seem to have file transfer facilities between the main PC and slave PC that used to be connected by a direct wire link but are now independently wire-connected to the router). I guess a firewall problem - but such things are beyond me.

Cheers all
Anyway - ALL thanks to Stu I'm up and running. Thanks M8.
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2004, 17:25   #65
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodvan
Hi Folks
Well, with a MILLION thanks to Stuartbe I now have my laptop wireless linked to a Belkin wireless router which is also hard wired to two other desktop PCs - next to each other, "hers" and "mine". Yipeee. It could never have been done without Stu.

I started by trying just a wireless card in the main PC that is linked to the ntl set-top box. We (I mean Stu really) did manage to get that working with a wireless link to the laptop - but then the existing hardwire link from the main PC to the slave PC would no longer work. Mrs. Snodvan was most unhappy about that! Lots of fiddling/ messing and headaches but finally I took the advice Stu actually gave me in one of his very early replies to my plea for help - I bought a wireless router and took the wireless card out of the main PC. One day I will use that wireless card to link another computer (I guess).

The Belkin wireless router box/ book says "set up in 3 minutes with Easy Install Wizard". Ha Ha - rolls about laughing NOW. It took 2 days and my computer room looked like an explosion in a spaghetti factory once I pulled all the workstations away from the wall to access the back of the machines. OK, a lot of the wires were for various audio units but there were still an AMAZING lot of others. Once the machines were all working/ wireless link established then I was a "good boy" and I have tidied all the cables into neat runs. We do not seem to have a smiley for "smug self satisfaction".

There is still an odd problem or two (like I no longer seem to have file transfer facilities between the main PC and slave PC that used to be connected by a direct wire link but are now independently wire-connected to the router). I guess a firewall problem - but such things are beyond me.

Cheers all
Anyway - ALL thanks to Stu I'm up and running. Thanks M8.
Thanks for that m8... I am happy you are all up and running....

BTW - A firewall is not needed for the computers behind the router as the router acts as a hardware firewall. It is however a good idea to have one on each computer just for aplication monitoring - Example... Zone alarm with both sliders set to min. will ley you know if an aplication is trying to get out or phone home but wont block any lan sharing trafic (netbios ect) If you get stuck just give me a bell !
Old 08-04-2004, 08:16   #66
kodak1970
Inactive

kodak1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

I have followed these instructions but am still having trouble obtaining an IP address on my router from my NTL STB.

I have posted the problem here:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=10685

Is there anybody who can offer any help please?
kodak1970 is offline   Reply With Quote