Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

Old 08-03-2004, 20:04   #46
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodvan
Hi Stu,

Both machines up & running - and I still can't find "wep" despite looking everywhere (well, everywhere where I thought I could do no damage)
O.K. click on start / programs / belkin wireless utility then the green belkin wireless icon in that folder.

In the top box click on the name of your wireless network and then click configure. Tick the wep box and untick the " this key is provided for me " option. Select hexadecimal digits from the first dropdown menu and type in the hex key. When you have the right ammount of figures (26) for 128bit wep click o.k. on both boxes.....

Thats the belkin.....

On the other card (realtek) have you intstalled any software or are you using the xp built in one ?
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2004, 20:14   #47
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
O.K. click on start / programs / belkin wireless utility then the green belkin wireless icon in that folder.

In the top box click on the name of your wireless network and then click configure. Tick the wep box and untick the " this key is provided for me " option. Select hexadecimal digits from the first dropdown menu and type in the hex key. When you have the right ammount of figures (26) for 128bit wep click o.k. on both boxes.....

Thats the belkin.....

On the other card (realtek) have you intstalled any software or are you using the xp built in one ?
Err - confused The screen I get is that shown attached (you may regret having shown me how to do that) and I cannot "type" anything in that
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 20:15   #48
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Err - confused The screen I get is that shown attached (you may regret having shown me how to do that) and I cannot "type" anything in that
Hmmm thats a new screen on me... What do you get if you click on advanced ?
Old 08-03-2004, 20:18   #49
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Hmmm thats a new screen on me... What do you get if you click on advanced ?
Nothing very exciting -->
Old 08-03-2004, 20:19   #50
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Nothing very exciting -->
Hmmmmmmmm.... What about profiles... It must be there somewhere - I cant believe that wep is not available !
Old 08-03-2004, 20:22   #51
snodvan
Inactive

Quote:
Hmmmmmmmm.... What about profiles... It must be there somewhere - I cant believe that wep is not available !
Profiles seems just as boring
Old 08-03-2004, 20:24   #52
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Profiles seems just as boring
What do you get if you click edit... Thats where the setup is going to be !
Old 08-03-2004, 20:25   #53
snodvan
Inactive

Quote:
What do you get if you click edit... Thats where the setup is going to be !
Pop up says "no profile was selected"
Old 08-03-2004, 20:27   #54
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Pop up says "no profile was selected"
I think you may need to click on the profile listed first then click edit.
Old 08-03-2004, 20:29   #55
snodvan
Inactive

Quote:
I think you may need to click on the profile listed first then click edit.
Bingo! See attached
Old 08-03-2004, 20:31   #56
snodvan
Inactive

Stu

I'm not touching this until you confirm this is the right one (sure it is) and that the original instruction still holds
Old 08-03-2004, 20:33   #57
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Stu

I'm not touching this until you confirm this is the right one (sure it is) and that the original instruction still holds
I think that this will be easier if we speak on the phone....

I am going to pm you my office number....

This could go on for many posts and is wasting the site storage.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:34   #58
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Just an update for anyone watching this thread....

We got the problem resolved. The laptop network card was looking for an access point and would not enter adhoc mode (needed for a card to card connection). Snodvan now has 128bit wep working o.k.........

The new belkin drivers apear to cause this problem so if you are using a belkin card in adhoc mode make sure you use the advanced settings option.
Old 09-03-2004, 14:32   #59
snodvan
Inactive

Quote:
Just an update for anyone watching this thread....

We got the problem resolved. The laptop network card was looking for an access point and would not enter adhoc mode (needed for a card to card connection). Snodvan now has 128bit wep working o.k.........

The new belkin drivers apear to cause this problem so if you are using a belkin card in adhoc mode make sure you use the advanced settings option.
Stu

Thanks for everything. Wireless system works a treat.

There is however just an "itsy bitsy" problem - the second PC attached to the main PC via wire and using ICS will no longer access the internet/ email etc. Mrs Snodvan is not amused! That is "her" machine and she is waiting for emails. Yes, I did check the cable is in place (been down that route once before). All the connections are showing as enabled. I did try disabling the wireless connection to the laptop just in case that would 'reactivate' the wired connection and even rebooted after doing that. No joy. I guess it is just another 'tick in a box somewhere'.
Old 09-03-2004, 20:18   #60
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Stu

Thanks for everything. Wireless system works a treat.

There is however just an "itsy bitsy" problem - the second PC attached to the main PC via wire and using ICS will no longer access the internet/ email etc. Mrs Snodvan is not amused! That is "her" machine and she is waiting for emails. Yes, I did check the cable is in place (been down that route once before). All the connections are showing as enabled. I did try disabling the wireless connection to the laptop just in case that would 'reactivate' the wired connection and even rebooted after doing that. No joy. I guess it is just another 'tick in a box somewhere'.
All rwady to sort this one out when you are m8