Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

Old 08-03-2004, 11:44   #31
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodvan
Well, I've learned something today. Just for completeness (and to prove it was not a fluke) I have attached a screenshot of the laptop.

Please remember I have another PC linked (wire) to the main PC using ICS. That link seems to switch off when I enable the wireless link. I guess that is normal. Let me know before I (try to) disable the bridge
If the main connection (ntl one) is set to shared then the other two connections dont have to be bridged. This can cause problems.

You should only have three adaptors listed in the end. NTL Wired and Wireless.... No bridge ...

There is no reason that you cant run both at the same time.

BTW - You forgot to attach the file
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2004, 11:48   #32
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

OK, this time WITH the attachment. Wish I had a £ for every time I have done that over many years
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:51   #33
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
OK, this time WITH the attachment. Wish I had a £ for every time I have done that over many years
Hmm. cant see your cable modem connection there. Are you using usb or ethernet to connect to the cable modem ?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:57   #34
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

From the set top box I have a cable running to a 10/100 card in the main PC
From a second 10/100 card in the main PC there is a cable running to the second PC
In the main PC there is also the Belkin card + ariel
No USB connections
Old 08-03-2004, 12:07   #35
snodvan
Inactive

I have disabled the Network bridge on the main PC and the laptop but note that something called 1394 connection is enabled and bridged. Not sure what that connection is so left it alone.

I note that on the main PC the NTL connection is enabled, shared and firewalled - that right?
Old 08-03-2004, 12:09   #36
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I have disabled the Network bridge on the main PC and the laptop but note that something called 1394 connection is enabled and bridged. Not sure what that connection is so left it alone.

I note that on the main PC the NTL connection is enabled, shared and firewalled - that right?
Yep - the 1394 connection is firewire and is normaly not needed.

Everything else looks o.k.

Just right click on the 1394 and select disable.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:33   #37
snodvan
Inactive

Stu
Life be a very funny thing. I was away from the screens 'paying a visit' and when I returned there was a pop up un the laptop from Microsoft saying "new updates had been loaded etc". Funnnny - how can they do that when I cannot connect to the web? So I checked the BBC page on the internet and it was still on Saturday (which is when I connected the laptop via the 10/100 port and the cable that normally feeds the second PC). Humm. refresh etc, try a few other bookmarked pages and BINGO - connected to the internet on the laptop via the wireless card. "We are sailing, we are sailing". Big smiles and thanks all round to STU.

Well, NOW I guess it is time for you to lecture me about security. There are BOUND to be boxes that I have to tick etc so that no other demented/ sneaky so-and-so can get into my system.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:50   #38
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Stu
Life be a very funny thing. I was away from the screens 'paying a visit' and when I returned there was a pop up un the laptop from Microsoft saying "new updates had been loaded etc". Funnnny - how can they do that when I cannot connect to the web? So I checked the BBC page on the internet and it was still on Saturday (which is when I connected the laptop via the 10/100 port and the cable that normally feeds the second PC). Humm. refresh etc, try a few other bookmarked pages and BINGO - connected to the internet on the laptop via the wireless card. "We are sailing, we are sailing". Big smiles and thanks all round to STU.

Well, NOW I guess it is time for you to lecture me about security. There are BOUND to be boxes that I have to tick etc so that no other demented/ sneaky so-and-so can get into my system.
Glad it worked for ya....

Security... Hmm prepare to take your tounge lashing

As you are running in adhoc mode all you can do is enable wep. Select 128bit wep and instead of using a key make up a hexadecimal number ie A1 B3 D4 ect..... Put that number into both cards and presto you will have wep protection. Someone is going to need the wep key in order to see your trafic or join the lan.....
Old 08-03-2004, 13:00   #39
snodvan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Glad it worked for ya....

Security... Hmm prepare to take your tounge lashing

As you are running in adhoc mode all you can do is enable wep. Select 128bit wep and instead of using a key make up a hexadecimal number ie A1 B3 D4 ect..... Put that number into both cards and presto you will have wep protection. Someone is going to need the wep key in order to see your trafic or join the lan.....
Well, be pleased that at least I knew that security was a big issue with wireless things - and I knew that because I have been reading all your past posts etc etc. We DO listen even if at times we do not understand.

... like enable wep (err vaguely remember seeing a box mentioning that sometime yesterday while installing the Belkin card, but not sure where it is)

... make up a hex number (yep, suppose I can remember how to do that - brain will creak a bit 'cos I have not done that since the days of BBC machine programming back in the '80s)

Lots of thanks again.
Old 08-03-2004, 13:25   #40
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well, be pleased that at least I knew that security was a big issue with wireless things - and I knew that because I have been reading all your past posts etc etc. We DO listen even if at times we do not understand.

... like enable wep (err vaguely remember seeing a box mentioning that sometime yesterday while installing the Belkin card, but not sure where it is)

... make up a hex number (yep, suppose I can remember how to do that - brain will creak a bit 'cos I have not done that since the days of BBC machine programming back in the '80s)

Lots of thanks again.
If you do need any help with the wep setup let me know that make of the cards at both ends and I will see what I can do
Old 08-03-2004, 13:52   #41
snodvan
Inactive

Quote:
If you do need any help with the wep setup let me know that make of the cards at both ends and I will see what I can do
Give up! I DO remember seeing a reference to "wep" but can't find it again. Please guide me.

Main PC card is Belkin F5D60001uk
Laptop card is Realtek RTL8180

Hex number 'ready & waiting"
Old 08-03-2004, 14:21   #42
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Give up! I DO remember seeing a reference to "wep" but can't find it again. Please guide me.

Main PC card is Belkin F5D60001uk
Laptop card is Realtek RTL8180

Hex number 'ready & waiting"
O.K. on the belkin card properties click the configure button and slect wep from the list. Select use confugured number and not key... Input the hex info until the option above chnages to 128bit...

Its pretty much the same setup for the realtec one....

Sorry if thats a bit vauge ! I am at work ATM.... I can find out for sure tonight for you
Old 08-03-2004, 14:48   #43
snodvan
Inactive

Quote:
O.K. on the belkin card properties click the configure button and slect wep from the list. Select use confugured number and not key... Input the hex info until the option above chnages to 128bit...

Its pretty much the same setup for the realtec one....

Sorry if thats a bit vauge ! I am at work ATM.... I can find out for sure tonight for you
Stu

I cannot find any ref to "wep" after going down the route Belkin card - configure etc, or on the laptop. I'm obviously missing something. Let us leave it for the moment 'cos the laptop will now be off until this evening and you have to earn your daily crust unlike us retired types. Thanks for all you have done to help.
Old 08-03-2004, 17:27   #44
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Stu

I cannot find any ref to "wep" after going down the route Belkin card - configure etc, or on the laptop. I'm obviously missing something. Let us leave it for the moment 'cos the laptop will now be off until this evening and you have to earn your daily crust unlike us retired types. Thanks for all you have done to help.
I am back home now m8... Give me a shout when you are ready to sort this out
Old 08-03-2004, 20:00   #45
snodvan
Inactive

Quote:
I am back home now m8... Give me a shout when you are ready to sort this out
Hi Stu,

Both machines up & running - and I still can't find "wep" despite looking everywhere (well, everywhere where I thought I could do no damage)