Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BoxNation on Virgin Media?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BoxNation on Virgin Media?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:53   #676
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: BoxNation on Virgin Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
With the BBC launching 24 linear channels on SKY, Freesat and Virgin for the Olympics it looks boxing will have it's own dedicated channel. I love watching Olympic boxing to see future stars from the likes of America, Canada, Cuba, Germany, Mexico, Russia and of course GB.

Tomorrow from 9pm on ITV - Piers Morgan's Life Stories: Frank Bruno. In his first major interview for nearly a decade, former boxer Frank Bruno re-lives the dramatic highs and lows of his journey from troubled adolescent to world champion, followed by personal meltdown and mental illness. He reveals the trauma of his retirement, divorce and committal to a psychiatric hospital, and how he finally battled his way back to health and happiness.

Whilst ITV have let us down badly in terms of live boxing, they have shown some decent boxing content in recent months. We had The Fight Of Their Lives back in December telling the story of Benn and McClellan plus recently they ran a series of new shows to celebrate the 70th birthday of Ali.
I saw that, it was fairly interesting. I didn't know he actually does laugh like he does! I thought it was impressionists/comedians exaggerating it to a ridiculous level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
I have just signed up to BoxNation the schedule was to much for a boxing fan. Quick question is the advice I got from Virgin CS right I must restart my TiVo box after 5mins to be able to see this channel?

Update: The channel came on without a restart, crazy advice!
Sounds like they were spouting rubbish. It's pot luck if you get a CS rep. who knows what they are talking about. Even worse if you end up talking to India...
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2012, 21:35   #677
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

This is a true story about Frank Bruno.

About 10 years ago I won employee of the month at work. As a reward I could choose a prize up to the value of £150.00 from Red Letter Days. For anyone who doesn't know what Red Letter Days are: http://www.redletterdays.co.uk/Home

Anyway for £150.00 I could train and spar with Frank Bruno for the afternoon. I called up, booked the session and couldn't stop telling people about it. I was so excitied.

About 2 weeks before I was due to go to the session, Frank was sadly sectioned for the first time amidst rumours of sleeping in a boxing ring in the garden etc... Red Letter Days called me asking if I wanted to cancel. My reply wasn't particularly respectful of Franks situation, but it was born out of devastation and disappointment.

"Of course I ******g want to cancel. What if he gets confused and thinks I'm Mike Tyson. What's going to stop him from ******g me up?"

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatllbeme View Post
i know boxnation are doing this box academy but i think they should do a contender type of show aswell!
BoxAcademy London postponed after Steve O'Meara withdraws from his fight against Bradley Pryce with a breathing problem.

On a separate matter, Buncey let out some interesting figures during his Boxing Hour on Monday. He claimed last time Boxnation had a big fight, being Klitschko Vs. Chisora, Boxnations booking system went down when up to 40,000 people tried to subscribe on the night.

Now that could be nothing more than a gross exaggeration by Buncey, but if those figures are anywhere near to the real number of subscribers then Boxnation are doing fairly well.

I always wondered how many subscribers the channel had. Before you even consider "armchair fans" boxing is the kind of sport that participants of the sport watch as often as they can. I bet the vast majority of Britain's professional fighters, amateur fighters, retired fighters, trainers, coaches, promoters, journalists, referees, judges, ring side doctors, corner men, photographers and broadcasters all have a subscription with Boxnation. Boxnation could easily have between 5000 and 10000 subscribers from within the "world of boxing" alone.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 22:55   #678
gerdav
cf.member

gerdav is an unknown quantity at this point

Manny Pacquiao vs Timothy Bradley on the 9th June is on Primetime, I'm quite dissapointed in this, with Boxnations arrival and Sky pulling out of ppv for "the foreseeable future" I was hoping to see the end of £15 ppv's in the UK.
gerdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 23:41   #679
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdav View Post
Manny Pacquiao vs Timothy Bradley on the 9th June is on Primetime, I'm quite dissapointed in this, with Boxnations arrival and Sky pulling out of ppv for "the foreseeable future" I was hoping to see the end of £15 ppv's in the UK.
As long as people are prepared to pay £15.00 to watch a boxing PPV, guys like Primetime will always be looking to offer events. If you take what Boxnation delivers for £10.00 per month compared to £15.00 for Pacman Vs. Bradley then it's clear Primetime and PPV boxing is a major rip-off. Boxing fans need to boycott PPV or it'll never stop.

I hope people don't start moaning that Boxnation failed to grab the UK broadcast rights. I'm more dissapointed that SKY Sports didn't land the rights. I can see myself cancelling SKY Sports after the summer. It's sad to see how many of these big fights they keep on missing. Surely SKY would have enough funds to snap up every televised event from America if they really wanted to.
Old 04-05-2012, 22:16   #680
thatllbeme
Inactive

thatllbeme will become famous soon enoughthatllbeme will become famous soon enoughthatllbeme will become famous soon enough

sky sports breaking new chisora and haye to fight in the summer!
thatllbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 23:54   #681
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
sky sports breaking new chisora and haye to fight in the summer!
I wonder if that is the BIG summer fight Boxnation mentioned last week?

WOW!
Old 05-05-2012, 21:01   #682
Chad
cf.mega poster

Enjoyed the last episode of 24/7. I'm looking forward to tonights action. Mayweather Vs. Cotto should start between 4:30am to 5:00am depending on how the undercard action goes.

It's interesting that Boxnation have Anthony Crolla, a Ricky Hatton fighter, as one of their studio pundits. Even more interesting is Spencer Fearon, of Hard Knock Boxing Promotions on commentary. I wonder if Boxnation are branching out to get more promoters and more British fighters on their channel?

Here's my picks for tonight:

Robert Stieglitz beats Nader Hamdan on points

Marco Huck beats Ola Afolabi on points

Saul Alvarez beats Shane Mosley on points

Floyd Mayweather beats Miguel Cotto by late stoppage

If there is going to be an upset in any fight tonight, it'll be in the Huck Vs. Afolabi fight. Huck had a tough fight against Povetkin at heavyweight only 9 weeks ago. Huck put on 12 pounds for the fight coming in at 210lb. He should weight around 198lb tonight. The weight gain, and weight loss might just be a factor. Afolabi believed he was robbed in their 2009 battle and is highly motivated. This should be a war. Let's hope Britain has a new Cruiserweight champion before Mayweather and Cotto face off.
Old 05-05-2012, 22:55   #683
ca_styles
Inactive

ca_styles is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive just signed up to boxnation for this month. can i cancel my subscription after this month or do i have to wait up to 3 monthly payments to cancel? Cheers.
ca_styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 23:46   #684
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_styles View Post
Ive just signed up to boxnation for this month. can i cancel my subscription after this month or do i have to wait up to 3 monthly payments to cancel? Cheers.
You only have to keep the channel for 1 month. Just remember to call Virgin to cancel.

Ricky Burns Vs. Kevin Mitchell is set to be confirmed on Tuesday plus rumours are rife David Haye Vs. Dereck Chirsoa will be happening in July exclusive to Boxnation. You might want to hang onto Boxnation for a couple of months

Enjoy the action, if you can stay awake!
Old 06-05-2012, 16:29   #685
Chad
cf.mega poster

Just out of my bed about a hour ago. So tired.

I am beginning to get pretty annoyed with Boxnation. Usually I watch Boxnation live and record any other boxing that so happens to be on SKY, ESPN or Channel 5 at the same time. I save these for my Sunday morning viewing.

For the 3rd week straight the broadcast team have gave away the outcome of fights that have been televised elsewhere on the same night, before I've had a chance to watch the action. 3 weeks ago they spoiled the outcome of Crolla Vs. Mathews. Last week they hinted at the outcome of Sillakh Vs. Grachev and last night spoiled the Paul McCloskey fight. It's so unprofessional.

I've e-mailed Boxnation asking for this to stop.
Old 06-05-2012, 22:34   #686
thatllbeme
Inactive

thatllbeme will become famous soon enoughthatllbeme will become famous soon enoughthatllbeme will become famous soon enough

so for the rest of this month on uk tv we have:
friday 11th alexseev v arslan (eurosport)
saturday 12th galahad v wale (channel 5)
friday 18th fielding,selkirk,johnson (boxnation),mayfield v serrano (espn)
saturday 19th price v sexton,khan v peterson(sky sports),kessler v green(boxnation)
friday 25th selby v okine (boxnation),ji hoon kim v rahimov (espn)
saturday 26th froch v bute (sky sports)

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

Heres some shows not on yet that id like boxnation to look at getting:
saturday 12th Baysangurov v Soro,Golovkin v Fuchigami from Ukraine
friday 18th Kiattaweesuk v Sinyabi from Thailand
saturday 19th Solis v Airich from USA
saturday 16th Agbeko v Domingo fron Ghana,Adams v Harrison from Essex
Old 07-05-2012, 13:36   #687
Chad
cf.mega poster

Some good action still to come before the end of May. Things seem a bit quiet on Boxnation for the next 3 weeks.

Solis Vs. Airich on the 19th May is on Premier Sports.

I wonder if Boxnation will be showing the Telefutura broadcast on the 12th May, between Vicente Escobedo and Juan Ruiz as part of their deal with Golden Boy. My understanding is Boxnation will show 1 Telefutura broadcast each month plus a major show from either HBO or Showtime.

There might be a good chance we'll see the Gennady Golovkin card on the 12th May on Boxnation seeing they picked up his last fight. Actually it might depend on what relationships are like between K2 Promotions and Frank Warren after what happened with Chisora in Germany.

Another event they could pick up cheaply is Denis Shafikov defending his European title against Brunet Zamora on the 31st May in Russia. Shafikov looked great a couple of months ago when he easily defeated Scotlands Lee McAllister on SKY.
Old 07-05-2012, 18:44   #688
Chad
cf.mega poster

I've just noticed that Boxrec have Ricky Burns Vs. Kevin Mitchell listed for 14th July at Upton Park. Interestingly Alexander Povetkin Vs. Hasim Rahman is listed on the undercard. Looks like this will be Boxnations "Heavyweight Announcement" and not Haye Vs. Chisora.
Old 07-05-2012, 20:17   #689
thatllbeme
Inactive

yeh i seen that should be a big night if it comes off! isnt burns getting married soon though?
Old 07-05-2012, 22:29   #690
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
yeh i seen that should be a big night if it comes off! isnt burns getting married soon though?
I could be wrong but I think he got married about 3 weeks ago.

Burns Vs. Mitchell will be a great battle. It's a 50/50 fight. Burns could take Mitchell to school but on the other hand Mitchell could bash Burns up badly. Make it an outdoor event, play up on the Scotland Vs. England angle and you've got the British fight of the summer.....even 2012!