Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Allotments

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Allotments

Old 01-09-2010, 18:07   #91
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: Allotments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Help, snowed under with gherkins and cherry tomatoes!!!!!!

Looks like I'm gonna be doing some nice tomato chutney two batches probably, one chilli the other with bramley apples
Gonna sell them to the highest bidder?
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2010, 18:11   #92
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Help, snowed under with gherkins and cherry tomatoes!!!!!!

Looks like I'm gonna be doing some nice tomato chutney two batches probably, one chilli the other with bramley apples
Us too with the tomatoes - we're picking 3-4kg every few days. The German f1 variety we grow is fantastic cropper so I might try some sweet tomato and chilli chutney this year for a change.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 18:26   #93
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

These are just the small gardeners delight, they've been producing for the last month with still loads on the plants. SOme though are splitting as it's been a bit dry up the allotment and we've not had a chance to water as often as we'd like (need to set up a drip feed on the IBC tank)

We also have Roma (a nice plum tomato) that are now starting to produce (though still green.. thinking of doing my own pasta/pizza sauces for freezing with them
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 18:29   #94
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I made some delicious fresh tomato soup at the weekend with some that my next door neighbour begged me to take off her hands. She is totally swamped with the things. Not only does she have a green house full of them all the ones she planted in the garden have gone berserk as well.

She has been beavering away in her kitchen for the last three days, used up every Kilner jar I possess and I think I shall have enough supplies of chutney and roasted tomatoes in olive oil to last for the next ten years.

I love my neighbour.
Old 01-09-2010, 18:37   #95
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Next thing I'll have lots off is Beetroot, squash (dumpling and butternut) and more pumpkins
Old 01-09-2010, 19:00   #96
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Pumpkins. < Jo runs away and hides>
Old 01-09-2010, 19:16   #97
Kymmy
Inactive

LOL, you saw the first one I got from there in post #88 still got half of that in the fridge... Total weight without seeds was nearly 4kg.. Still got at least three growing up the allotment

Went to grab some parsnips for a roast dinner later this week.. They've turned into monsters with two of them being over a foot long and about 3-4 inches diameter
Old 01-09-2010, 22:16   #98
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
They've turned into monsters with two of them being over a foot long and about 3-4 inches diameter
Well size isn't everything you know!!!!

Seriously I can totally recommend the Harzfeuer F1 variety available from Lidl. They're the best tomatoes we've ever grown by some considerable margin.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 11:06   #99
Kymmy
Inactive

Just starting to chit my potatoes for planting in March

Has anyone tried growing roosters before? Just that Lidl has them cheap and they are startign to sprout slightly so thought I might as well try them as we love them roasted and chipped
Old 18-01-2011, 11:51   #100
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I never use bought-to-eat spuds as seed spuds... too much chance of bringing blight and other diseases into your garden.

You might get away with it, and then again you might not... and your plot will be the centre of a blight outbreak that other local gardeners won't thank you for.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 18:23   #101
Kymmy
Inactive

Guess which dopey moo got all the way to the allotment to plant the last of her potatoes then realised that they were still on the chitting shelves at home

Still managed to get the salad bed up and running and my partner dug over the space where the potatoes should have gone.

Already up and ready are spring onions and parsnips from last year, perpetual spinach and loads of rhubarb ...YUMMY!!! Broccolli is just beginning to sprout
Old 20-04-2011, 19:40   #102
yesman

Quote:
Guess which dopey moo got all the way to the allotment to plant the last of her potatoes then realised that they were still on the chitting shelves at home

We will have to start calling you "spud" I reckon
Old 20-04-2011, 20:25   #103
Kymmy
Inactive

You dare!!!!
Old 20-04-2011, 21:08   #104
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

My dad made over 12 large jars worth of pickled onions last year, from a small patch of ground in the garden, not to mention the bowls of tomatoes he had to get from the greenhouse everyday.

It's amazing what you can get from a single seed and some water, isn't it? heh
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 14:32   #105
yesman

Quote:
You dare!!!!
Right then Spud

What would you recommend putting in the ground to make the soil a bit more fertile, manure, well rotted manure, fertiliser or something else?

I am going to give it a go this year in trying to grow some veg, probably runner beans, onions, and some spuds, no pun intended
This is all in the back garden though, not in an allotment as I don't have one.
As the question is related it seemed pointless starting another thread.