Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Allotments

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Allotments

Old 06-04-2010, 13:29   #76
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Allotments

Last of the potatoes (20 tubers of Maris piper) went in today, followed by a row of carrots and a row of beetroot. Bottom end of that bed also had 4 rows of 8 plants of strawberry popcorn seed. 3 Tay berry went in the fruit plot and two zigzagged rows of 35 (70 in total) peas went in..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2010, 19:14   #77
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Just done a good few hours up there and then a two mile doggy walk down the hills home.

First early potatoes have all popped up above ground. Broad beans, Shallots, red/white onions, garlic, strawberries, Gooseberries. black & red currants and 2nd lot of raspberries are all doing well. First lot of raspberries that we thought had died (9 canes) at least one now has shoots..

Added today 2 rows of french drawf beans, half a row of leek seeds (will thin out/transplant to a full row) also seeded one row each of mixed radishes, spring onions, lettuces, rocket and perpetual spinach in the salad bed. Rest of that bed will be the squash/pumpkin bed.

In the last week sown inside sweetcorn and a load more sweet dumpling squash seeds.. also some ROMA tomato seeds..

Along the southern edge we've done a strip of flower seed to act as a pollinator attractor.
Old 29-05-2010, 12:35   #78
Kymmy
Inactive

Lost all my squash/pumpkins bar one.. It was that last freak frost a week or two ago that did them in...

Replaced them with aubergines and celery in the bed. Also planted out the Gherkins on the vine run we have along with the Kiwi. More radish and spring onion seeds have also been planted as well as Sweetcorn transplanted outside.

First crops of Strawberries, Radishes and Broad Beans all really tasty

First early potatoes are not far from being ready (well the new rocket are the Pentland Javelins we'll leave in a bit longer.

Stuff to do in the next week: Plant more peas, carrot, beetroot, dwarf beans. Cranberry and Blueberry needs putting outside as well. Tomatoes I'll probably leave for a few more weeks before I put them on the vine run
Old 29-05-2010, 15:56   #79
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

All those lovely veg. I'm drooling just thinking about them. I think I may just have to tip out one of my buckets of early potatoes to see if I can get a meal from them tomorrow.
Old 14-06-2010, 10:11   #80
Kymmy
Inactive

Rocket first early potatoes are ready now. Amazing as the ten plants we got were from a cheap bag of Wilkinson (all the rest were thompson and morgan) seed potatoes and was £1, all ten grew and we just pulled up 4 plants yesterday (one went to the person with the house next to the allotment as she keeps an eye on things) but the other three plants gave use about 3 bags of new potatoes (currently £1.50 a bag in sainsburies!!!). The pentland javelin still need a few weeks but should be some nice large spuds (although boilers the taste is great for roasting!! ), Jersey royals and Maris piper are still about 1 and 2 months away

Strawberries are still going strong and gorgeous to pick and then sit on the grass patch we planted enjoying fresh strawberries and a bottle of beer.

Lettuces, Perpetual Spinach and Rocket are also ready so grab a few plants each of them before we walked back the 2-3 miles home across the hills..

Allotment's gonna look weird in a few months as partner has seeded 20+ sunflowers and transplanted them a randon places throughout the allotment to attract some pollinators
Old 26-06-2010, 19:43   #81
Kymmy
Inactive

Oh gawd what heat, great for the allotment though

Rocket has flowered so now useless but we got through half of it, so all pulled and more lettuce (another variety) planted instead. Radishes as large enough to pick and also Jersey royals are ready so grabbed a few of the old lettuces, some beetroot, jersey royals and radishes for the making of a great salad

Sweetcorn, carrots, beetroot, swede, parsnips, onions, beans, peas and celery are going great. Strawberries are providing a punnet every 3-4 days, enough to feel 3 as a desert Rhubards nearly ready so will add to the desert list.

Have now doubled the tomato plants with a good 15+ each of Gardeners delight and Roma plum

Had some great days up there doing some needed work, then relaxing on the grassed area whilst drinking a beer with some fresh fruit & salad. Then the 2 mile walk bback down the hill with the dogs via the local springs
Old 26-06-2010, 20:54   #82
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My sister has 2 allotments, one she rents, but she cannot get rid of the vine weed, it seems for everyone she removes 10 turn up.

So we have turned over a patch in our garden to grow veg, its seems to rise daily with the sun we are getting. I hope we don't get a hosepipe ban as it will take ages to water it
Old 26-06-2010, 21:12   #83
Kymmy
Inactive

Only way to get rid of the vine weed is to dig the whole thing up and remove every thick root you find. We had a load on ours and still get some but very little now
Old 19-07-2010, 12:04   #84
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

We have a tree that we keep indoors but somehow it has greenfly and I was just wondering if anyone have any advice on how to kill them?
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 12:15   #85
Kymmy
Inactive

A good product is BUG CLEAR for fruit and veg

We use it indoor and on my herbs as it's a natural oil based contact pesticide (the oil stops them from breathing so kills the insects)
Old 19-07-2010, 18:20   #86
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

Thank you I will goto B&Q and pick some up.....btw will that be ok to use on any tree as I think we have a maple tree

I grew some peppers and they have came out lovely and I was wondering what I need to do with the seeds from inside the pepper in order to grow them next year?
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 18:25   #87
Kymmy
Inactive

I just scrape out the pepper seeds and dry them between paper towel then leave in the draw until next year, worked well with Pepper (bell and jalapeno chilli) and also Squash seeds.

The BUG CLEAR does say some plants may be sensitive to the oils but all you can do is try it..

You can get a BUG CLEAR ULTRA that's designed for non-eating stuff as well but we tend to use the fruit/veg one on everything as we have the dogs around who like to snaffle my herbs when I'm not looking!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 15:19   #88
Kymmy
Inactive

Pumpkin soup & Pie for the next week I think!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08082010939.jpg (345.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-08-2010, 17:24   #89
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Pumpkin soup & Pie for the next week I think!!!
cor blimey missus
I hope that ruler isn't in inches or cinderella will looking for it to go to the ball
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 16:24   #90
Kymmy
Inactive

Help, snowed under with gherkins and cherry tomatoes!!!!!!

Looks like I'm gonna be doing some nice tomato chutney two batches probably, one chilli the other with bramley apples