Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Evil weevils

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Evil weevils

Old 13-02-2012, 20:53   #76
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Evil weevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Or we do what I did to the weevils in the OP - sit them in their air-tight container outside the back door and wait to see how long it takes them to die.
How long did it take?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2012, 21:04   #77
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
If it's a seeded one then you won't know the diffrence when you get a crunchy bit.
It does make for interesting flossing
Old 14-02-2012, 10:52   #78
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
How long did it take?
They didn't mind the outdoors at all, plus they had a lifetime supply of food in the container with them.

We moved house three months after I started this thread, so the container got emptied and thoroughly cleaned so we could pack it away. They were all alive and kicking as they went into the wheelie bin.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 10:50   #79
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
They didn't mind the outdoors at all, plus they had a lifetime supply of food in the container with them.

We moved house three months after I started this thread, so the container got emptied and thoroughly cleaned so we could pack it away. They were all alive and kicking as they went into the wheelie bin.
ah ok. You see I clearly have a terrible mind -I assumed you had meant you'd taken all their food away, and just put them in an air tight container to see how long it would take them to die in some form of experiment....
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 23:04   #80
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Update: the little buggers were indeed meal moths:

Things quieted down a little after we cleared out the cupboard, but the buggers didn't go away. I then found an old bag of plain self-raising flour in the back of the (not cleared) top shelf of said cupboard, with one of the buggers in it. A couple of days later, I was going to roast some pine nuts for a salad, and found the pine nuts moved... Larvae

So I threw out the pine nuts, and opened a new bag (which I stuck in a sealed container afterwards), yet the critters still remained, despite me swatting about five of them every evening. Yesterday, I found out the source of the infection had moved to a different cupboard. Larvae in a bag of pasta we ate from just this week and in a bag of bird food lying in there. So I threw those out, and today, for the first time in 3 weeks I haven't seen a moth yet...

Surprisingly, they never seemed very interested in the freshly opened bags of flour that are still in the cupboard they first originated from, but instead opted for an old bag of self raising flour, pine nuts, pasta and bird food instead.

I'm sure they're hiding, hatching a plan to attack a food source I hadn't thought of...
Old 03-03-2012, 23:16   #81
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Yes I threw away the opened bag of cornflour this week after mixing some of it with water and finding little dark specks floating on top.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43   #82
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post

I'm sure they're hiding, hatching a plan to attack a food source I hadn't thought of...
Its part of a bigger food stuff invasion

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:23   #83
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It's probably because the fresh flour etc is too dry for them whereas opened product will have absorbed some moisture from the air.
No it's because it's an open package.The best way to avoid weevils is to place opened bags in an airtight container.Also it's a good idea to follow recipes when they say to sift flour..
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34   #84
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
No it's because it's an open package.The best way to avoid weevils is to place opened bags in an airtight container.Also it's a good idea to follow recipes when they say to sift flour..
It's not weevils, it's meal moths. And they went for old flour/pine nuts/pasta/bird food despite there being freshly opened bags of flour in the cabinet that was affected first. Generally speaking they seem attracted to old food stuffs. I think there may be something in Heero's suggestion, though I'm struggling with the concept of dried pasta absorbing much moisture.