Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

Old 14-10-2015, 16:50   #2236
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Well the news on my old man isn't great. It seems palliative care is the only option and the prognosis is not good i.e. months rather than years. In spite of his recent improvement, the news is not a complete shock but we only found out by chance today when the palliative care nurse appeared to see him and on being asked, told a family member the full extent of what they've found. Of course it may be that he declined to have anyone present with him when he was told the bad news but even so, given his age and state of mind, I'd have expected someone to let us know what was happening because we've made it quite clear to the staff that he's easily confused and were asked to call in to discuss matters with his registrar only last week.

Is it worth making a fuss about? I don't know but right now there are so many things going through my mind that maybe I'm not thinking clearly. Maybe he decided to tough it out and not tell us, maybe he didn't understand, maybe he's in denial and doesn't really believe it because he's been feeling better.

I just hope that what time he has left is as comfortable as it can be and that he doesn't suffer too much.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2015, 17:34   #2237
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

@ Osem. The main thing now is to ensure that you all feel happy that your Dad has the best possible care and that he is kept pain free. Personally I would ask to have a word with his Consultant, not in any confrontational way but to establish why you weren't informed of the full position. Fair enough if your Dad asked that his family not be informed but, even so, I think you should ensure that his paperwork is officially noted that for XXX reasons any future information, arrangements etc must be conveyed to you first so that a member of the family can be available to support your father.

His mental well being is possibly the main thing that you will be able to protect at this stage so knowing that you have taken these steps may help you all to come to terms with what may happen in the coming months.

We were in a very similar position just before Dad died but as he had made a Living Will and, although it was not legally enforceable, he had a Consultant who was willing to respect his wishes and Dad died at peace and pain free.

Hugs to you all, Jo.
Old 14-10-2015, 18:08   #2238
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Good advice Jo. Thanks!

Old 14-10-2015, 18:18   #2239
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes as jo says l hope you can sort things out Osem.
Old 14-10-2015, 19:30   #2240
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I wish I had wise words of wisdom for you 0 but all I can do is keep you and your family in my thoughts
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 21:43   #2241
Osem
Inactive

@ Den and Dilli. Thanks guys - you take care of yourselves!
Old 14-10-2015, 23:30   #2242
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Hope you get used to your new glasses ok, I have had mine long before I started computing, so I was OK by then, I think you automatically get used to them in a few days, just moving your eyes. The less you think about them the more you adapt
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 00:16   #2243
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Kind of getting used to them but have just found out i can't wear them in bed while using the tablet because of the narrow vision, not that I need to use them for that, but if I wanted to watch TV too I couldn't.

My worry is I may have the same problem while using a laptop so will have to blow the dust off the laptop and try it.

I can't not wear glasses as distance is blurred and now find closeup is getting a tad dodgy so I have no choice but to go varifocals as I hear bifocals are not good.
Old 15-10-2015, 11:38   #2244
nashville
nashville

nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

How can you not watch TV ?
Old 15-10-2015, 11:45   #2245
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
How can you not watch TV ?
I can watch TV fine, but i can't use a tablet at the same time as the viewing angle is soooo narrow i lose 2 thirds of the screen to 2 big blurry messes.

I have also just discovered that there is 4 kinds of Varifocal lenses and i think the optician i went to only sold the basic one with very limited viewing angles. If i had known this i would have gone to Specsavers or vision express and paid extra for wider angle vision, so i am disappointed at the moment and have emailed my optician to see what options i have.
Old 15-10-2015, 12:27   #2246
nashville
nashville

Hope you get something sorted out,
Old 15-10-2015, 12:51   #2247
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Wish weather would decide what it wants to do. In the last 30 minutes, there has been sun, grey clouds, sun, and now big black clouds that look full of rain. Left my coat at my mum's at the weekend so only have a stupid little fleece hoodie thing to wear to protect me from rain. I hate autumn and winter.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 12:54   #2248
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Hugs to all your family Osem.
Old 15-10-2015, 13:06   #2249
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Wish weather would decide what it wants to do. In the last 30 minutes, there has been sun, grey clouds, sun, and now big black clouds that look full of rain. Left my coat at my mum's at the weekend so only have a stupid little fleece hoodie thing to wear to protect me from rain. I hate autumn and winter.
Luckily down here its been rather sunny today Mark albeit a little chilly with the wind.
Old 15-10-2015, 13:29   #2250
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I have also just discovered that there is 4 kinds of Varifocal lenses and i think the optician i went to only sold the basic one with very limited viewing angles. If i had known this i would have gone to Specsavers or vision express and paid extra for wider angle vision, so i am disappointed at the moment and have emailed my optician to see what options i have.
Very strange as I would have thought the optician would have gone through all the options with especially as they go up in price I have the third type not the most expensive one.

I would emphasize the advice about not thinking about them then you'll get used to them quicker.

I suspect with a tablet you are closer to it and much of the screen will be blurred due to the very narrow in focus window on the lenses.

Specsavers explained and showed me what vision you get with each type of lens.

If he didn't explain to you the differences in lenses I would think you should complain. He also should have advised you the risk of not being able to use them and you should be able to get your money back (as its the first time you have had this type of lens)
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote