Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help installing msxml.msi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help installing msxml.msi

Old 09-08-2003, 17:18   #1
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Unhappy Help installing msxml.msi

HELP.......

I seem to have a problem after installing rise of nations, when I rebooted it gave me an error message about not having msxml installed properly. I had a look around but it didn't seem to affect anything, then I went to play the game I had installed and it gave the error message again.

After spending some time on Google and Microsoft's website, I found it is a known bug and that if I install file msxml.msi from their website all should be well.

The problem seems to come when it has downloaded and tries to open the file. According to Microsoft's website I need Windows Installer 2.0 or later for the installation. It then gives details on how to download this program if you are on ME/98/95 or NT4 but says that if you are an XP user then there is no need.

Great I thought but no. When it down loads it says that windows doesn't recognise the file type and sends me to the Internet to look for a program to open it with. Sure enough the windows website doesn't have a listing for *.msi

I'm stuck, any of you guys managed to install one of these files??

Any and all help gratefully received.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2003, 17:28   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Just downloaded the file from here:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...629c/msxml.msi and it went through no problem.
Have you checked your file type association? Mines associated with "Windows Installer"
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 17:33   #3
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
Just downloaded the file from here:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...629c/msxml.msi and it went through no problem.
Have you checked your file type association? Mines associated with "Windows Installer"
I know this may sound dumb but how do I check the file associations?
Old 09-08-2003, 17:35   #4
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness
you could also only need to copy into a system folder.

****DO NOT DO THIS*****
for example it may need to be in \windows\system32

Check back on the website and it should tell you where this file should be.

EDIT

I just downloaded form the link given above by Paul and its a setup file, I suggest you download the file again from the link given by paul.
Old 09-08-2003, 17:39   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
In explorer,
Tools
folder options
File types
Or right click the file in question and choose open with
Also may want to look here and see if it helps
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1045956902
Old 09-08-2003, 17:54   #6
Shaun
Inactive

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
...right click the file in question and choose open with
Also may want to look here and see if it helps
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1045956902
Thats hit it on the head.

Chears all.
Old 09-08-2003, 17:58   #7
Paul K
Inactive

Got there in the end
Hope the game is worth it after all this.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:07   #8
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Did you try putting the file you downloaded into the game directory?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 13:39   #9
Shaun
Inactive

Quote:
Originally posted by WNA
Did you try putting the file you downloaded into the game directory?
It's an install file for windows, if I remember correctly, its been a while. But the link above d/l it and installed it all correctly.