Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wifi USB help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wifi USB help

Old 18-06-2014, 20:09   #1
Hornet
Inactive

Hornet is on a distinguished roadHornet is on a distinguished road
Wifi USB help

I purchased one of these on Amazon for my non wi fi PC

WIFI 150MBPS WIRELESS ADAPTOR 802.11 B G N LAN NETWORK MINI USB DONGLE ADAPTER

It finds all of the local VM, Sky etc from neighbours, but not my Mobile wi fi hotspot which I wanted it to find. My wi fi hotspot shows up on Ipad and Nook tablet but not through this adaptor on PC.

Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks
Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2014, 23:57   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Wifi USB help

What is your mobile, and what channel is it set to?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 05:57   #3
Hornet
Inactive

Hornet is on a distinguished roadHornet is on a distinguished road

HTC Salsa it appears automatically on the tablets, I don't think I can set a channel on the mobile?
Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 19:18   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Not usually, no, but knowing it still helps.

Not all devices are capable of the same channels.

Nonetheless I can't think of any obvious reason why it might not show up, other than a dodgy adapter or driver.
Old 20-06-2014, 11:36   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Just out of curiosity, have you checked to make sure it's actually in range (i.e. close to the machine)? Phones and micro USB adapters often have poor wifi range so when you combine the two it might not reach even one room across.

Course if you're sitting with the phone next to the PC that won't be the issue.
Old 20-06-2014, 16:57   #6
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

The mobile hotspot isn't set to work on the 5Ghz range by any chance , which the usb adapter doesn't support but maybe the other devices do.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 20:54   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Pretty poor choice of adaptor IMO
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 23:15   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
The mobile hotspot isn't set to work on the 5Ghz range by any chance , which the usb adapter doesn't support but maybe the other devices do.
That's why I asked about handset and channel. And no it's not - that handset isn't capable of 5Ghz in any mode. (Also, even on Android devices that support 5Ghz, most/all of them won't let you use 5Ghz for the mobile hotspot)
Old 20-06-2014, 23:31   #9
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Check the adapter settings, make sure it is set to allow channels 1-13 (ETSI standard) - if it defaults to USA standard 1-11, then it will not see anything on channel 12 or 13
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote