Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bank Holidays - what's the point?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Bank Holidays - what's the point?

Old 05-06-2012, 17:15   #31
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Bank Holidays - what's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
I work in retail - The large DIY chain.
It is expected for most to work part of the day, minimum 4hrs max 8hrs (plus lunch break).
Silly how all want that urgent item for garden upgrade.
Well sadly for those who only have annual holidays Bank holidays especially in the summer months take on a special significance.
Old 05-06-2012, 17:20   #32
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
When l was growing up as a kid, trying to find a shop open on bank holiday was a nightmare.

Now, Bank holiday are regarded as a joke by shopkeepers to make extra money.

This week for example, we have Two Bank Holidays to celebrate the Queen's reign on the throne, can we find a shop, yes its no longer bank holidays as we know it - which is a great shame.

You might as well scrap them, as they are pointless.
Would you be moaning if they did scrap them? Bear in mind you'd probably be working effectively an extra week and probably for no extra pay.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:23   #33
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I always believe that Bank Holiday's are a welcome relief for everyone, but to me 90% of shops are open. And is not regarded as a bank holiday.
Can you please point to a bank that has been open over the bank holiday period, I think you will find that the were none open.

Bank call centres are open but even then it is voluntary and classed as overtime, so if you want to work you get a good rate of pay and a day in lieu.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:40   #34
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Working on a bank holiday should mean extra pay and a day in lieu IMO.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:45   #35
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

My work gives us either the overtime rate of 1.5 or 2x if we chose to work a Bank Holiday, so effectively we get paid either 2.5x or 3x hours rate seeing you still get a normal days pay, we don't get a day in lieu though.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:48   #36
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
If i remember there where moves some years back to make extra pay or a day in lieu a statutory obligation ,just fizzled out i think
Old 06-06-2012, 09:41   #37
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Although I get 28 days holiday a year I am also glad to get all the official bank holidays as well. Sometimes you just need that extra wee day off.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:43   #38
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Back in the old days people would do something called "plan in advance" and they didnt need any shops to be open.
So I couldnt care less if the shops are open or not. It is a welcome break from long days of work and it is nice to have a day to relax.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:43   #39
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Blimey. I was working bank holidays in a shop 30 years ago. Tis nothing new.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08   #40
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I agree i work bank holidays and get time and eighty eight per cent nearly double time,and a day off in Lieu.

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Back in the old days people would do something called "plan in advance" and they didnt need any shops to be open.
So I couldnt care less if the shops are open or not. It is a welcome break from long days of work and it is nice to have a day to relax.
Absolutely i work in the NHS so have no choice but if i had the choice i would choose not to work and have a good day of rest.
Old 07-06-2012, 20:01   #41
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Yup, and there were no overstocked Fridges and Freezers either.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 20:26   #42
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I work for the NHS we get time and a third for bank holidays.

Plus I get 36 days holiday a year
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 20:36   #43
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I only get 20 days holiday a year, and I am greatful for the extra days off.
Old 07-06-2012, 21:09   #44
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I get 25 days a year plus Bank Holidays on top, i can also buy 5 days, but i am so glad i get Bank Holidays and think there isnt enough of them.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:39   #45
Nidge41
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky TV, VM 100Meg Broadband
Nidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sorry Arthur but for most people Bank Holidays are a welcome relief.
Not for the people who are self employed like myself and millions of others in the UK.
Nidge41 is offline   Reply With Quote