Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23-07-2008, 13:26   #12556
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

It looks like only BT gets hopped around. I have similar hops from the DNS router out to google for the 216 address.
Has anyone checked the internal BT hops from mid-June when there were also multiple hops? - I thought that was less than the current 7 hops?

How does one check for a traceroute on port 443 - i.e. to nodpi.org?

It would be really interesting to be able to see if port 443 traffic has the same 7 internal hops.
Advertisement
Old 23-07-2008, 13:39   #12557
rryles
Inactive

rryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
It looks like only BT gets hopped around. I have similar hops from the DNS router out to google for the 216 address.
Has anyone checked the internal BT hops from mid-June when there were also multiple hops? - I thought that was less than the current 7 hops?

How does one check for a traceroute on port 443 - i.e. to nodpi.org?

It would be really interesting to be able to see if port 443 traffic has the same 7 internal hops.
Under *nix you can use tcptraceroute:

http://michael.toren.net/code/tcptraceroute/

tcptraceroute nodpi.org 443

I beleive there is something similar available for windows.

Edit - Windows Version Here:

http://tracetcp.sourceforge.net/
Old 23-07-2008, 13:44   #12558
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

R Jones I live in Reading as does my daughter we are both close to the main exchange She as you do goes via Reading but I go via Birmingham ........Idont understand!!
Old 23-07-2008, 14:03   #12559
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
my bold / UL so is this say that the HO should only give advice regarding interception under warrant? if so does that mean that phorm spoke to the wrong dept and got duff info?

and that DBERR are the ones they should be checking with and so should we? anyone done an FoI request to DBERR?
When you consider RIPA, where both parties to the intercept have given permission for their communication to be intercepted, this is not an interception under RIPA.

See RIPA Chapter 10

"10.3 Section 3(l) of the Act authorises the interception of a
communication if both the person sending the communication and
the intended recipient(s) have consented to its interception, or where
the person conducting the interception has reasonable grounds for
believing that all parties have consented to the interception.
"

Which is where the thinking re the HO document and whether or not interception is occurring where users have opted in to receive adverts from sites that are displaying adverts.

From what BT have said (quoting Emma Sanderson) "Anyone who puts a webpage on the internet does so for the purpose of people making copies of it for the purpose of looking at it and assessing the information contained in it." so that covers the reasonable grounds clause, not.

Just noticed this on pg 36 of the RIPA document:
Chapter 9
CoMpLAINts
9.1 The Act establishes an independent Tribunal. This Tribunal will
be made up of senior members of the judiciary and the legal
profession and is independent of the Government. The Tribunal has
full powers to investigate and decide any case within its jurisdiction.
9.2 This code does not cover the exercise of the Tribunal’s functions.
Details of the relevant complaints procedure can be obtained from
the following address:
The Investigatory Powers Tribunal
PO Box 33220
London
SWIH 9ZQ
( 0207 273 4514

I am sure that somehow, rather than a FoI for RIPA, someone can put forward a complaint?

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryles View Post
Under *nix you can use tcptraceroute:

http://michael.toren.net/code/tcptraceroute/

tcptraceroute nodpi.org 443

I beleive there is something similar available for windows.

Edit - Windows Version Here:

http://tracetcp.sourceforge.net/
The Mac does not understand tcptraceroute. Instead, the following works:

traceroute nodpi.org 443

(once I get to the hosting for nodpi, I just get bounced off the firewall)
Old 23-07-2008, 14:03   #12560
Paul Delaney

I didn't think it would stay at just over a tenner for long. Kent may have to raid his ISA account again soon (or whatever it is that he does to periodically shore up the share price).

Can somebody please remind me exactly what it is that Phorm sell / do to make enough money to pay their staff these days?

Atm are they just reliant on the interest from the CEO's building society account to keep the business afloat?

Old 23-07-2008, 14:08   #12561
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney View Post

I didn't think it would stay at just over a tenner for long. Kent may have to raid his ISA account again soon (or whatever it is that he does to periodically shore up the share price).

Can somebody please remind me exactly what it is that Phorm sell / do to make enough money to pay their staff these days?

Atm are they just reliant on the interest from the CEO's building society account to keep the business afloat?

Looking at iii, LondonStockExchange, GoogleFinance... I can't see any trades/any volume displayed for today.
Seem to recall this happened once before, so not sure there is anything to read into it. But currrrrious.
Old 23-07-2008, 14:10   #12562
rryles
Inactive

rryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The Mac does not understand tcptraceroute. Instead, the following works:

traceroute nodpi.org 443

(once I get to the hosting for nodpi, I just get bounced off the firewall)
traceroute is not the same thing as tcptraceroute. It will be using 443 as the packet size, not a port number. You'll have to install tcptraceroute somehow. I'm not up on macs unfortunately so can't help you with that bit. If all else fails, you should be able to download it from that site (might need to compile form source). If you can get it working it could be a very useful investigative tool.

This may help Mac users:

http://www.qsyssoft.com/machaxor/?p=4
Old 23-07-2008, 14:10   #12563
madslug
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin L-Smythe View Post
R Jones I live in Reading as does my daughter we are both close to the main exchange She as you do goes via Reading but I go via Birmingham ........Idont understand!!
Being close to the exchange does not mean that you are both on the same exchange. Where I live, there are 4 exchanges. The one I am on only has about 9k users, just enough for one set of 123 XXXX numbers, and is due to receive 21CN 2 or 3 years earlier than the main exchanges that have 20k plus customers each.
Old 23-07-2008, 14:13   #12564
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
From what BT have said (quoting Emma Sanderson) "Anyone who puts a webpage on the internet does so for the purpose of people making copies of it for the purpose of looking at it and assessing the information contained in it." so that covers the reasonable grounds clause, not.
So, according to emma, websites that display a legal notice as follows:
Quote:
Legal Notice

Trademarks
Unless otherwise stated, images, graphics, animation, text and the arrangement thereof are
Copyright © 2000,2008

Intellectual Property
You shall not use our intellectual property, including our trade marks in any manner which may be harmful to our goodwill or bring us or our Mark into disrepute or challenge or otherwise affect the validity of our intellectual property rights.

You may download to a local hard disk and print extracts from this web site for personal use and information only. None of the content of this web site may be copied or in any way incorporated into any other web site, database, publication or other work in any form whatsoever.

No permission is granted or implied for interception of transmission of website content. No automated processing for advertising systems is permitted.

Any such reproduction, interception of transmission or other use of the information and materials included in this site - other than as specifically allowed - without prior written permission is prohibited.
...imply consent to interception by BT/Phorm for commercial gain?

I think not!
Old 23-07-2008, 14:20   #12565
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:

In theory any company that uses and stores peoples PII could presumably get large sums of money illeagaly.But they would never stoop that low would they.
Old 23-07-2008, 14:40   #12566
madslug
Inactive

Almost the lighter side of ISP histories:

Part 1: http://technocrat.net/d/2008/7/22/46334

Part 2: http://technocrat.net/d/2008/7/23/46405
Old 23-07-2008, 14:46   #12567
rryles
Inactive

Quote:
Well, they are trying to live off the interest. In 2007 they received 688,843 USD in interest. However, there advertising revenue for that year was zero so after all that expensive R&D they ended the year with a net loss of 32,153,223 USD!

At the end of the year they had under 17 millions USD in cash and various other smaller assets. Unless they've got funding recently, or cut their expenditure, they must be getting rather low on funds.
Old 23-07-2008, 15:03   #12568
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryles View Post
Well, they are trying to live off the interest. In 2007 they received 688,843 USD in interest. However, there advertising revenue for that year was zero so after all that expensive R&D they ended the year with a net loss of 32,153,223 USD!

At the end of the year they had under 17 millions USD in cash and various other smaller assets. Unless they've got funding recently, or cut there expenditure, they must be getting rather low on funds.
Are you taking into account $65M raised in March?
Old 23-07-2008, 15:07   #12569
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

A typical Bt support response from India..

http://www.complain2.co.uk/pcsite/bt.html

I feel for the customer as the BT support worker didn't have a clue...

add this to BT's competance with Phorm, DBA, RIPA it is really sad day for British people...
Old 23-07-2008, 15:20   #12570
rryles
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Are you taking into account $65M raised in March?
That would come under "they've got funding recently". I wasn't aware of that. It confirms that they were getting low and needed a top up.
Closed Thread