Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BB Reading Area (RG10)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Just a Slight Question

Old 06-02-2007, 00:25   #1
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Services: TIVO 500GB-V+ HD, TV Size XL +SKYSPORTS/MOVIES VIVID Phone Size M
MacmillaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a Slight Question

Hi All,
I currently am using the Motorola SB4200 Surfboard Cable Modem it is connected to computer by usb im on broadband Size L with XP HOME.

But i just found out from my parents that they have bought me a new computer for my birthday and it will be coming with vista PREMIUM on it... i'm just wondering if i will lose my connection cause ive read a few posts saying the soon to be Virgin Media do not support Vista yet etc is there a way around this or will i have to wait...

Hope you can answer this....
MacmillaN
MacmillaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2007, 00:36   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Just a Slight Question

MacmillaN. I can't think of any reason why your internet would not work with Vista, and if there is, there are plenty people here that will be able to help you get it working. Enjoy your new computer, and happy birthday
Old 06-02-2007, 00:38   #3
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Thank You danielf.

Reason i was asking is i was hoping not to need a new modem... the only thing i have a problem with is every so often i lose my net connection i.e all the lights on the modem go out... it does happen nearly everyday but its all at different times so im unsure on that...

And its not my birthday yet... i just found a PC box when i was looking about the house :P
Old 06-02-2007, 00:48   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacmillaN View Post
Thank You danielf.

Reason i was asking is i was hoping not to need a new modem... the only thing i have a problem with is every so often i lose my net connection i.e all the lights on the modem go out... it does happen nearly everyday but its all at different times so im unsure on that...
If your modem drops the connection on a nearly daily basis, I would give Tech Support a call. It shouldn't do that... It sounds like a faulty modem to me...

Quote:
And its not my birthday yet... i just found a PC box when i was looking about the house :P
Aah, serendipity
Old 06-02-2007, 00:51   #5
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Ok..
Do you know the number to call to speak to the right people
Old 06-02-2007, 00:58   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

Telewest BB Tech support is 0845 142 4422, taken from the telewest website
Old 06-02-2007, 01:03   #7
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Ok thanks for your help danielf...
ill fone them soon and see what they say....

will they send out a new one and box to send the old one back or will they need to send someone out do you know?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:07   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

ntl:Telewest / Virgin Media doesn't support Windows Vista, yet.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...php?t=33607187

However, if you switch to using ethernet instead of USB, then you won't have to worry about USB drivers, or Vista support for USB, etc.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...mtips/usb.html

EDIT:

Oh, but if you're having connection problems, then yes, phone them up anyway. I'd still recommend using ethernet though. Much better than USB.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:10   #9
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Ok thanks for your help danielf...
ill fone them soon and see what they say....

will they send out a new one and box to send the old one back or will they need to send someone out do you know?
They will probably send a tech out. The modem may be fine. It may be a 'signal level' problem, whatever... Just give them a call, describe the problem (all lights going out on the modem, losing connection etc. on a daily basis), and they should take it from there. Main thing is: you're experiencing a problem you shouldn't. It's their job to deal with it.

Edit: Matt D is right about ethernet being preferred.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:12   #10
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Ok danielf...
ill do that...
Old 06-02-2007, 01:15   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
is it really that easy to switch to ethernet Matt D
why diden't telewest connect the modem using ethernet instead of the usb in the first place...??

Yep. So long as you have an ethernet port (network port) on your PC (which virtually all do now I'd have thought - and if you don't have one, ethernet cards are v cheap & v easy to install), then it's simply a matter of doing a cable swap & power cycle as described here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...b.html#usbswap
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote