Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 17-09-2015, 22:29   #1981
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Just received a 'Value Statement' from VM, it says I am on 'up to 20mbs' and not 50 as I originally thought.

Should it still be possible to obtain a watchable stream on 20mbs?
I would have thought so, Richard. I think 10MB is the minimum, but I stand to be corrected by those more technically knowledgeable than me!
Advertisement
Old 17-09-2015, 22:31   #1982
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Just received a 'Value Statement' from VM, it says I am on 'up to 20mbs' and not 50 as I originally thought.

It's fine. Netflix 1080p is only 5.8 meg, so plenty of headroom.
Old 17-09-2015, 22:51   #1983
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Yes as long as you don't hit the download STM that is still on the old 20Mbit and below services http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-ma...hresholds.html
Old 18-09-2015, 02:23   #1984
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Don't know. How would I find out?
Do a speedtest about 9pm, i have 50Mb which i get during the day, it slows to <5Mb in the evenings.
Old 18-09-2015, 17:41   #1985
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes as long as you don't hit the download STM that is still on the old 20Mbit and below services http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-ma...hresholds.html
Thanks everybody for your advice.

What happens if I hit the download limit? From what I've read, but I could be wrong, is that they will cut my usage down by 75% between 5 and 11pm Mon-Fri.

I hardly ever stream, but have being doing so every day until I can watch linear TV again.

How many programmes can I roughly watch before hitting the limit during peak time? I'm assuming that players for channels 1 to 5 are all in HD?? Can I switch to SD to save on bandwidth?

Thanks.
Old 20-09-2015, 12:27   #1986
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Hi folks, it is time for me to get rid of VM TV and replace it with Now TV.

I plan to use it in the living room via my Xbox One app so will only get a box for the bedroom both will be using wireless, i only want the entertainment pack at £6.99 a month.

1. I am assuming i can use Now TV in 2 rooms but can i use it at the same time?

2. My Tescos store are selling a Now TV HD streaming box for £15 which includes 3 months free entertainment pass, how can i tell if it is the old or new box and what is the difference?

3. Can i use Netflix on a Now TV box?

4. Should i consider a different (cheap) box, i need it to be wireless and 1080p?

5. What are the best deals going online?

Thanks for the expert help!
Old 20-09-2015, 13:17   #1987
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Hi folks, it is time for me to get rid of VM TV and replace it with Now TV.

I plan to use it in the living room via my Xbox One app so will only get a box for the bedroom both will be using wireless, i only want the entertainment pack at £6.99 a month.

1. I am assuming i can use Now TV in 2 rooms but can i use it at the same time?

2. My Tescos store are selling a Now TV HD streaming box for £15 which includes 3 months free entertainment pass, how can i tell if it is the old or new box and what is the difference?

3. Can i use Netflix on a Now TV box?

4. Should i consider a different (cheap) box, i need it to be wireless and 1080p?

5. What are the best deals going online?

Thanks for the expert help!
1. You can have upto 4 devices registered but on watch on a maximum of 2 at any one time

3. You can't watch Netflix on the Now TV box
Old 20-09-2015, 13:20   #1988
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
1. You can have upto 4 devices registered but on watch on a maximum of 2 at any one time

3. You can't watch Netflix on the Now TV box
Looks like i need an alternative box then, to be honest i only need to use Now TV in the living room atm which doesn't need a box, but it does look like i can get 3 months free Now TV(or can i get 6 months) if i buy that with a box even if i never use it.

Amazon Fire Stick ok for Now TV in the bedroom?
Old 20-09-2015, 13:34   #1989
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Looks like i need an alternative box then, to be honest i only need to use Now TV in the living room atm which doesn't need a box, but it does look like i can get 3 months free Now TV(or can i get 6 months) if i buy that with a box even if i never use it.

Now TV not on the Fire stick as standard, I believe it can be side-loaded but if you don't know what that is don't take it any further.

New Now TV box is black - old one is white.

Now TV & Netflix are both available on Youview box [but not Entertainment pack currently, ie Movies & Sport only] and LG Bluray player model 645 [all Now TV packs available](maybe others too, which I'm not aware of) - if you want an LG bluray, PM me - mine's no longer used and going cheap.

The above looks a bit of a dog's breakfast reading it back - just had a couple of glasses of wine with lunch so I hope it makes sense! Maybe if you have a couple of glasses IT will make sense - who knows?

EDIT: Back again, Youview box only has Movies - NOT Entertainment or Sport. Sorry.
Old 20-09-2015, 13:38   #1990
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiekev View Post
Now TV not on the Fire stick as standard, I believe it can be side-loaded but if you don't know what that is don't take it any further.

New Now TV box is black - old one is white.

Now TV & Netflix are both available on Youview box and LG Bluray player model 645 (maybe others too, which I'm not aware of) - if you want an LG bluray, PM me - mine's no longer used and going cheap.
Thanks not really bothered about a box seeing i won't need it in the livingroom, i may just buy the black Now TV box and 3-6month free entertainment pack for £15 in Tesco as that seems a good deal unless you guys know where i can get 6 months free online?
Old 20-09-2015, 13:52   #1991
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Nowtv isn't on firetv best bet is to get a ROKU if you want nowtv they are reletavily cheap these days.
ROKU will give you NOWTV,Netflix bbc iplayer, itv,all4 and demand5 in one device there is no Amazon instant video though.
NOWTV can be sideloaded to firetv but it is hit and miss if it works and no live channels are available.
Old 20-09-2015, 13:56   #1992
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Nowtv isn't on firetv best bet is to get a ROKU if you want nowtv they are reletavily cheap these days.
ROKU will give you NOWTV,Netflix bbc iplayer, itv,all4 and demand5 in one device there is no Amazon instant video though.
NOWTV can be sideloaded to firetv but it is hit and miss if it works and no live channels are available.
IF Tesco are selling a Now TV box for £15(old or new box not sure) and giving 6 months free entertainment pass is it worth getting that as i currently wont need to use the box? Is it still worth it if it is only a 3 month pass?
Old 20-09-2015, 14:07   #1993
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
IF Tesco are selling a Now TV box for £15(old or new box not sure) and giving 6 months free entertainment pass is it worth getting that as i currently wont need to use the box? Is it still worth it if it is only a 3 month pass?
The black box is much better imo as it has 1080p and ethernet but the white box which is the old one is great too, NOWTV boxes are just rebadged ROKUS but locked down to NOWTV they still have the usual catch up services from bbc,itv,all4,demand 5.
If you don't want netflix then either nowtv box will be perfectly fine, however if you want nowtv and netflix a ROKU would be the best option http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...26336-pdt.html worth noting some places like currys are doing roku with 3 months nowtv entertainment pass too, you can pick up nowtv passes of ebay very cheaply.
Old 20-09-2015, 14:11   #1994
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Thanks for all the help, if i need a box for the bedroom eventually i will get something like the Roku that does netflix too.

Can i change the DNS setting on the Roku 3 box for Netflix USA i do subscribe to ublockUS if that helps but don't plan on buying a router where i can change the DNS on it?
Old 20-09-2015, 14:15   #1995
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks for all the help, if i need a box for the bedroom eventually i will get something like the Roku that does netflix too.

Can i change the DNS setting on the Roku 3 box for Netflix USA?
No just buy a cheap secondary router and set the dns on that i use the tp link wdr 3600 it cost me £89.99 at the time but they are down to £40 these days.
Firetv though can have it's dns changed might be worth getting both? Best of both worlds i personally have chromecast, firetv box, roku1 and appletv my next purchase is going to be the nvidis shield but need to save up as that is £199 lol.
You can get firetv stick for £35 which you can change your dns on and nowtv for £15 with your free pass which would actually work out cheaper than the roku.
Closed Thread