Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:02   #91
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

Really must get myself a decent 20+ amp PSU, using an old converted PC PSU atm but that's not quite powering the HF on 100w..

Can anyone suggest a cheap supplier? or a 2nd hand one?
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2012, 10:23   #92
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Can't go wrong with one of the Manson/Palstar 20-25 linear PSUs Kymmy. Should be able to pick up a used one for less than 50 quid. Providing you're not looking at the used kit list from a certain emporium in Cannock

Occasionally you see the 50A Zetagi PSUs pop-up and they're well worth grabbing but careful not to break your back if you do.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:28   #93
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I'd be happy with a switch mode (as long as it's got an noise offset)

Give me a nudge if you see any please... If not might have a wander round Dunstable Downs Radio Carboot sale in May
Old 08-04-2012, 10:12   #94
Kymmy
Inactive

Went hunting up/down the 2m/70cm repeater lists last night seeing what I could get on the new antenna.. The location here is surrounded by hills on 3 sides yet was surprised on 2m what I could get on 5w out of my 50w capable radios (Amersham, Aylesbury, Northhampton, Corby, Barkway, Bedford) with also a couple on 70cm (luton when it's working, cambridge and bedford) so that gives me mobile to home coverage for at very least from South London to Boston and Coventry to Swaffham.

Just need to get the 1/2 G5RV up again now for HF/CB
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56   #95
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Went hunting up/down the 2m/70cm repeater lists last night seeing what I could get on the new antenna.. The location here is surrounded by hills on 3 sides yet was surprised on 2m what I could get on 5w out of my 50w capable radios (Amersham, Aylesbury, Northhampton, Corby, Barkway, Bedford) with also a couple on 70cm (luton when it's working, cambridge and bedford) so that gives me mobile to home coverage for at very least from South London to Boston and Coventry to Swaffham.

Just need to get the 1/2 G5RV up again now for HF/CB
If you're working those you will probably hear the Leicester repeater on 2m (Charlie Fox) which has a quite exceptional coverage but unfortunately it's one of the prat magnets Comes in quite strong here on the border with the Viking lands but we already have our own up here: the notorious MP and MN!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:08   #96
Kymmy
Inactive

Used to work MissPiggy and MN when up in Manc land back in the 90's
Old 10-04-2012, 13:14   #97
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

I can hear CF. DY(Derby 70cm) has also had problems with music and prats in the recent past. One of the best repeaters around here used to be EE(Chesterfield, 70cm), it was never quiet when I was first licensed, now sadly this is not the case. Infact the most you hear from a lot of repeaters round hear are the 15 minute ident beacons.
Old 10-04-2012, 15:26   #98
Kymmy
Inactive

Just got a MAAS 25amp (the digital readout one) from HRD for £5 so that's me back on air once it gets delivered.. Just gotta work out this new fangled digital on/off switch (has on the bottom of it (WT KEY 2B)
Old 10-04-2012, 16:15   #99
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

I have one of these: http://www.hamradio.co.uk/accessorie...250-pd-716.php

Basically the same as you've just bought only with analog meters. Had it for a good few years and never had a problem with it.

I'm looking for a new dual band handheld, it won't get the use it might have done afew years ago so don't want to spend too much. So was looking at the Wouxun KG-UV6D which can be had for under £100, or a Kenwood TH-F7E(£236). Stretching the budget to it's absolute limit i'm also considering the Alinco DJ-G7(£330).
Old 10-04-2012, 16:27   #100
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
I have rig envy! Show us some pics if you get chance, Paul?
What was modified on it?
Mine is in the attic atm, but Ive attached a picture that looks identical.

Im actually trying to remember the details of the modification. I believe it was to add either 1 or 2 more bands (super super low, or super super high). As I recall it was a switch that "shifted" the whole A-E range - so instead of C being the normal middle band, it shifted up (or down), meaning A or E gave you access to the new channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg superstar_2000.jpg (151.0 KB, 9 views)

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 10-04-2012, 16:49   #101
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
I'm looking for a new dual band handheld, it won't get the use it might have done afew years ago so don't want to spend too much. So was looking at the Wouxun KG-UV6D which can be had for under £100, or a Kenwood TH-F7E(£236). Stretching the budget to it's absolute limit i'm also considering the Alinco DJ-G7(£330).
Had my Yaesu FT50 for many a year, bought it just before I went to live in OZ for a bit, great fun getting it through customs as they kept telling me I can;t brig in a CB Eventually got it through to them that it was ham radio and I even had a letter from their version of the RA stating that I could bring it in and get a reciprocal licence..

Currently not have 2 FT50's, a VX5 and a VX1.. I do like Yaesu
Old 15-04-2012, 08:41   #102
Kymmy
Inactive

Been listening to 11m (finally managed to get up my 1/2 G5RV and hammered in an earth spike and gawd is it dead with nothing on FM or SSB.. I know being surrounded by hills I won't hear much local but the conditions are not yet coming up the freq that far so no DX even.
Old 15-04-2012, 09:55   #103
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Been listening to 11m (finally managed to get up my 1/2 G5RV and hammered in an earth spike and gawd is it dead with nothing on FM or SSB..
This is why I'm hesitant to dust off the old 148. I've got a firestick and mag-mount but I wouldn't want to use it in the car as it would distract me too much and going on what everyone is saying about how quiet it is (even on 555), I doubt I could be bothered to go to the trouble of setting up the Antron.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 18-04-2012, 10:11   #104
Kymmy
Inactive

I'd still set it up for later in the year Russ as the bands should improve with the summer..

On a ham radio note been trying to get rtty (radio Teletype) working on an old PK232 recently and failing as there's very little decent software about.. So downloaded MMTTY, set up a soundcard, made a little PTT adaptor (RTS to PTT via an optoisolator) and then set about on 20M's (about 14.080-14.100) looking for contacts.. Got acknowledged by the Brazilian 2014 world cup Special event station ZY2014WC (but he faded before I had a chance to swap signal reports) and a good 599 from both Oman A45XR and Newfoundland VO1NM all on 40watts.. That was all about 9:30pm last night..
Old 19-04-2012, 22:34   #105
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
I'd still set it up for later in the year Russ as the bands should improve with the summer..

On a ham radio note been trying to get rtty (radio Teletype) working on an old PK232 recently and failing as there's very little decent software about.. So downloaded MMTTY, set up a soundcard, made a little PTT adaptor (RTS to PTT via an optoisolator) and then set about on 20M's (about 14.080-14.100) looking for contacts.. Got acknowledged by the Brazilian 2014 world cup Special event station ZY2014WC (but he faded before I had a chance to swap signal reports) and a good 599 from both Oman A45XR and Newfoundland VO1NM all on 40watts.. That was all about 9:30pm last night..
Had a dabble with PSK yet? Hamradio Deluxe is your weapon of choice.
Closed Thread