Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reminders on TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Reminders on TiVo

Old 28-05-2011, 22:30   #106
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: Reminders on TiVo

Can we please stop this lover's tiff in public
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2011, 22:35   #107
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Wow! Seriously. That's the whole problem? Talk about being picky/pedantic

Not you personally, btw
That's just it. As you haven't used it you don't realise just how useful it can be in certain situations. You don't miss what you don't use. For those of us who used them regularly on the V+ boxes they're very noticeable by their absence. Just try to remember, we're not talking about using them instead of recording, we're talking about using them as an additional function. Just look at some of the 3rd party hacks for the Series 1 TiVo units that people have complained about the VM TiVo not having over at the TiVo Community forums. Those of us who are new to TiVo aren't bothered by their absence as they're not things that we've used before, but for the old-timers they're noticeable by their absence.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 23:02   #108
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
That's just it. As you haven't used it you don't realise just how useful it can be in certain situations. You don't miss what you don't use. For those of us who used them regularly on the V+ boxes they're very noticeable by their absence. Just try to remember, we're not talking about using them instead of recording, we're talking about using them as an additional function. Just look at some of the 3rd party hacks for the Series 1 TiVo units that people have complained about the VM TiVo not having over at the TiVo Community forums. Those of us who are new to TiVo aren't bothered by their absence as they're not things that we've used before, but for the old-timers they're noticeable by their absence.
Excellent post , and very true you don't miss what you've not had. I used reminders on V+ and use them on a regular basis on Sky+HD , judging by the amount of adverts Sky show for coming shows with the green remind me button in the top right hand corner they must feel there still essential.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 23:16   #109
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor View Post
There are many reasons why someone would want to watch a TV programme as it airs.
And with a Tivo you can still do that NOW.

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Oh no not again , haven't we heard this before. Come on Carl just accept not everybody wants to record everything LOL .
I do. I just don't see why not? That's the question
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 23:17   #110
Lew
Inactive

Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Oh good grief! Just drop it, Carl.
Old 28-05-2011, 23:19   #111
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
That's just it. As you haven't used it you don't realise just how useful it can be in certain situations. You don't miss what you don't use.
True. I have never needed reminders; even for shows I watch "live" like Doctor Who. I sit down on my chair, select the right tuner (or play it directly from 'My Shows') and that's that. No reminder needed.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

Quote:
Oh good grief! Just drop it, Carl.
Well people will keep bringing it up
Old 28-05-2011, 23:24   #112
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
True. I have never needed reminders; even for shows I watch "live" like Doctor Who. I sit down on my chair, select the right tuner (or play it directly from 'My Shows') and that's that. No reminder needed.
Carl my last point on this just imagine this scenario

The football comes on at 8pm on ITV
It's 7.30 and your watching a documentary on Discovery which runs until 8.30pm its very easy to get engrossed in that show and completely lose track of time , a reminder just simply pops up and alerts you your football is about to start , after all most people want to watch sport live.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 23:26   #113
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

And the light coming on on the front of the box wouldn't be a clue? Though I suppose you could miss that too

I can see the point though. Have always been able to

(I may have previously said "I don't get the point." Don't know why I said that! Sorry Wasn't exactly what I meant. I sometimes have difficulty expressing what I mean clearly.)
Old 28-05-2011, 23:29   #114
Lew
Inactive

Quote:
No-one forces you to respond though. You've been told many times by many people why they're wanted so why, every time it gets bumped, do you repeat the claim that you don't know why people want them?

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

Quote:
And the light coming on on the front of the box wouldn't be a clue? Though I suppose you could miss that too

I can see the point though. Have always been able to
See posts 86, 100 and 102.
Old 28-05-2011, 23:31   #115
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Right. Bed now. Back to the friendly bickering tomorrow
Old 29-05-2011, 00:33   #116
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
And the light coming on on the front of the box wouldn't be a clue?
because...
Example 1: I keep my TiVo in a closed cupboard so can't see the lights and use an IR sender to still be able to use the remote

Example 2: I am enjoying watching TV so not paying attention to the lights on the box

Example 3: I am reading a book and have forgotten that a programme I really wanted to watch live is on, as I am looking away from the box, I cannot see the light

Example 4: Ah, it's probably just recording a suggestion

The list goes on...
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 04:31   #117
Nor
Inactive

Nor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
And with a Tivo you can still do that NOW
Indeed Carl, I am definitely able to watch a programme in the conventional fashion with Tivo. What Tivo can't do is remind me that said programme is about to begin. This is a feature I'd like. Try not to blow at gasket
Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 05:49   #118
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
l did not know l was a old timer but seriously l agree with you as that is one thing l miss from my V plus.

---------- Post added at 05:48 ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

Not me Sir.

---------- Post added at 05:49 ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Carl my last point on this just imagine this scenario

The football comes on at 8pm on ITV
It's 7.30 and your watching a documentary on Discovery which runs until 8.30pm its very easy to get engrossed in that show and completely lose track of time , a reminder just simply pops up and alerts you your football is about to start , after all most people want to watch sport live.
You have summed it up exactly Darth.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 12:19   #119
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Am I right in thinking that a statement like:

"Reminders are a waste of time; record everything", wouldn't go down too well at the moment?

Actually I did come across one valid reason for using reminders posted on the VM fotum.

Someone has an elderly relative who wouldn't understand how to go into my shows to view the recording from there. So, when they go out for the evening, they set up channel switch reminders for all this persons evening viewing. Reminders do have a very valid use in that instance.

But all the other reasons for using reminders rather than recording that other people bring out, really don't hold water to me.

However, VM are adding them so everyone will be happy.

just thought I'd stir the pot!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 12:25   #120
scotmac
Inactive

Services: XL Tv 2 x V6 1 TB TiVo 200 Broadband XL phone
scotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Someone has an elderly relative who wouldn't understand how to go into my shows to view the recording from there. So, when they go out for the evening, they set up channel switch reminders for all this persons evening viewing. Reminders do have a very valid use in that instance.
Right Carl give us the way TiVo does this. I think Passingbat`s got you this time.
scotmac is offline   Reply With Quote