Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reminders on TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Reminders on TiVo

Old 03-06-2011, 09:17   #166
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Reminders on TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
And yet you don't have a go at pb? Favouitism
l will have a word in PB,s ear later on and my only favourtism is to my little niece as she has been through a lot in her life.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38   #167
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: No reminders on Tivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The simple answer was reminders are from before V+ and were there to remind you of stuff as the boxes couldn't record. Now with three tuners people should be changing their habits and not need to remind them of stuff starting as they can record so much and store it on the huge hard drive.

If there is a live event that you have been planning on watching for ages you really shouldn't be forgetting about it, otherwise it can't really be that important. Even the TiVo guys can't understand people needing reminders. It's really just habit and people still think they need them, but they don't really. I personally haven't used a reminder since I last used a pace stb!!

As some people still think they are required, TiVo and VM will see if they can be added.
It could be argued what do TIVO know about the UK market especially on a pay TV platform , seems funny most UK PVRs have some kind of reminder system. I know Sky use the green remind me button on advertisements for shows and many broadcasters signed up to use it
http://www.mirada.tv/channel-4-goes-green/

And I believe freeview HD has some sort of green button service .
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:02   #168
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It could be argued what do TIVO know about the UK market especially on a pay TV platform , seems funny most UK PVRs have some kind of reminder system. I know Sky use the green remind me button on advertisements for shows and many broadcasters signed up to use it

Yes tivo should have had reminders there is no doubt about that.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13   #169
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
... there is no doubt about that.
Apparently there is doubt though or they would have been there from the start
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:13   #170
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
And yet you don't have a go at pb? Favouitism
Works for me!

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

In that link it says that for PVR users, it records the show.
Quote:

Viewers will now see a green button appear in the top-right of screens during trailers (promotional spots) for all Channel 4 programmes. Those that would like to watch that programme can then select the green button on their remote control to trigger a visual prompt that will appear when the programme is about to start, reminding the viewer to switch to a different channel. Similarly if the viewer is using a personal video recorder (PVR), the box will record the selected programme meaning fewer viewers will accidentally miss the programmes they wanted to watch
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:40   #171
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Works for me!

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

In that link it says that for PVR users, it records the show.
Yes that's correct PVR users can do either set reminder or record.
Old 03-06-2011, 13:24   #172
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I assume that, on non-recording boxes a reminder is set but on Sky+ a recording is set?
Old 03-06-2011, 13:41   #173
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I assume that, on non-recording boxes a reminder is set but on Sky+ a recording is set?
I'm guessing on Sky+ you get a choice of reminder or recording. Sky are in the dark ages as well!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 13:50   #174
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Just seen the green button come on for Step Up 3 so pressed it ,

The next screen listed all the different showings you scroll to the one you want and it says press SELECT to set a reminder or R to record.
Old 03-06-2011, 13:50   #175
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Well, being able to set up a SL with a single button via a promo for the show is a brilliant idea
Old 03-06-2011, 14:16   #176
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'm guessing on Sky+ you get a choice of reminder or recording. Sky are in the dark ages as well!
The laughable part is I do see yours and Carls idea as from the green button the majority of time I do record , but on occasions I will set a reminder for sport

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Quote:
Well, being able to set up a SL with a single button via a promo for the show is a brilliant idea
Indeed it is , and something Freeview HD now offers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researcha...eeview-a.shtml

It's also a good source of revenue as a lot of companies use it with the press green to watch additional footage or other features.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:35   #177
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough

Someone has posted the below on the VM forum:
http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/2011/...dias-tivo.html
That was interesting to read, it does seem like it is in the pipeline for sure, I just worried there could be any kind of problem integrating it into the software/firmware of the box.
I know many people also think it's a legacy thing and not needed but really what would be the harm in just adding it so it's available for the people that want it. It wouldn't be affecting anything else that the box does at all, it would just be an added feature.
I just really hope they can add it in ok, will just have to see...
Yes it's great to remember when a programme starts but it's easy to get distracted. Say someone comes to the door or calls and you're still watching another channel, if you have the reminder on it can switch over for you and say if you miss the first 5 minutes you can then rewind back to the start (only about 5 minutes behind) and then forward through adverts (if any) to catch up to being live. That's often what I tend to do.
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:40   #178
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvout View Post
Yes it's great to remember when a programme starts but it's easy to get distracted.
Which becomes irrelevant if you record it rather than just have the Tivo switch channels.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:47   #179
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvout View Post
Someone has posted the below on the VM forum:
http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/2011/...dias-tivo.html
That was interesting to read, it does seem like it is in the pipeline for sure, I just worried there could be any kind of problem integrating it into the software/firmware of the box.
I know many people also think it's a legacy thing and not needed but really what would be the harm in just adding it so it's available for the people that want it. It wouldn't be affecting anything else that the box does at all, it would just be an added feature.
I just really hope they can add it in ok, will just have to see...
Yes it's great to remember when a programme starts but it's easy to get distracted. Say someone comes to the door or calls and you're still watching another channel, if you have the reminder on it can switch over for you and say if you miss the first 5 minutes you can then rewind back to the start (only about 5 minutes behind) and then forward through adverts (if any) to catch up to being live. That's often what I tend to do.
Yes a interesting blog and as it says reminders will be coming for sure sometime in the future.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Quote:
Which becomes irrelevant if you record it rather than just have the Tivo switch channels.
Dear Carl your record player has got stuck and repeats itself over and over again.
Old 04-06-2011, 13:54   #180
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Then wouldn't you have to wait until the recording is finished before you can then watch it from the start? What if it's a 3 hour film like Lord of The Rings and it finishes at 2am and you have a sleepless night really wanting to see it but have to wait till the next day Crazy example I know....
Mind you not having a Tivo I don't know if you can set it to record, switch over to it then rewind it whilst it continues to record it? Does it do that?
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote