Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Old 31-10-2012, 05:30   #1171
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
From the link that toady posted

http://blog.tivo.com/2012/10/fall-up...premiere-dvrs/

Looks really good; hope we get it soon.
Indeed lets start the countdown now.
Old 31-10-2012, 08:24   #1172
tizmeinnit

Quote:
From the link that toady posted

http://blog.tivo.com/2012/10/fall-up...premiere-dvrs/

Looks really good; hope we get it soon.

VMs software is all custom why do you expect it will happen at all?
Old 31-10-2012, 09:06   #1173
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

I really do not care about cosmetic upgrades to the TiVo. As I read it this was an upgrade to the service in the US. As I understand this has little bearing on the service Virgin pays for. Therefore it begged the question do upgrades in the USA carry over automatically to UK or are they piece meal or even only if requested & paid for. As for divided you are right I care. So get your extra TiVos today !!!!
Old 31-10-2012, 10:06   #1174
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
VMs software is all custom why do you expect it will happen at all?
It's not all custom. It's based on the core TiVo code, so what changes in the US will eventually make it over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
As I read it this was an upgrade to the service in the US. As I understand this has little bearing on the service Virgin pays for.
It's an upgrade to the core TiVo code - which will have a bearing on what Virgin get

In some respects it's the same as Android. Everyone has access to the core code updates, but then the different handset makers add their own tweaks on top

Except in the case of VM TiVo, it's TiVo that make the changes to the core code for VM
Old 31-10-2012, 10:19   #1175
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I really do not care about cosmetic upgrades to the TiVo. As I read it this was an upgrade to the service in the US. As I understand this has little bearing on the service Virgin pays for. Therefore it begged the question do upgrades in the USA carry over automatically to UK or are they piece meal or even only if requested & paid for. As for divided you are right I care. So get your extra TiVos today !!!!

As someone with shares, I thought that you would have been a litte more informed and realise that VMs tivo uses the core tivo software and thus we will get the updates, which are functional, not jst cosmetic.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 10:57   #1176
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
As someone with shares, I thought that you would have been a litte more informed and realise that VMs tivo uses the core tivo software and thus we will get the updates, which are functional, not jst cosmetic.
As a trust we have shares in Aerospace, car manufacturers, steel, chemicals ,banks, hospitals and things I do not even understand what they are for
Brought & sold by the family stock brokers on behalf of trusts. I happened to mention in passing TiVo, to my brother,whom is in day, today control of this part of the family business. He said that we had brought shares on the back of a legal settlement. For all I know or in fact really care the shares could have well been sold again.

As to general TiVo functions it works as well as I would want. ( stated many times before I find a lot of its functions of no use what so ever) English language broadcasts on S4C being the exception & they are "coming soon" .
I have not great interest in updates, however I fully accept that they would be of use to other people. If one is of use great, but not concerned otherwise. Sorry if this upsets you
Old 31-10-2012, 11:50   #1177
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
I really do not care about cosmetic upgrades to the TiVo.
I do, its so annoying to lose the live stream in the top left corner when going into some of the old menus to manage your links for example
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 12:01   #1178
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
I do, its so annoying to lose the live stream in the top left corner when going into some of the old menus to manage your links for example

Sorry I really have NO idea what you are referring to. However I trust that it is sorted out soon
Old 31-10-2012, 12:17   #1179
Jameseh

Try editing a series link, the menu is in SD so all the text is overly large and the window in the top right hand corner disappears.
Old 31-10-2012, 13:44   #1180
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Quote:
Sorry I really have NO idea what you are referring to. However I trust that it is sorted out soon

Just think of all that Tivo investment money, that could have been used to pay you extra dividends, being spent on something you weren't even aware was missing!
Old 31-10-2012, 15:43   #1181
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Try editing a series link, the menu is in SD so all the text is overly large and the window in the top right hand corner disappears.
Whatttt

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Quote:
Just think of all that Tivo investment money, that could have been used to pay you extra dividends, being spent on something you weren't even aware was missing!
Doubt it was bought for the dividend - but you never know . I never ask - Would get a long detailed explanation- Still get headache thinking about when I asked about a government bond issue years ago. As long as the audit is healthy & they( auditors) are happy - so am I

As I said before a lot of the bells & whistles on TiVo are wasted on me Hence why I would not pay a premium to have it.
Old 31-10-2012, 20:16   #1182
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I remain pleased with my TIVO, but when I set it to record and no 'record' sign comes up, I have to hunt around to see if it has recorded the programme at a different day and time. It would be useful if it told you when it couldn't record at that time, and pointed out where the new recording could be found. If it couldn't find an alternative, it should just tell you that.

I would find that a big + for my overall TIVO experience.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 21:01   #1183
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I remain pleased with my TIVO, but when I set it to record and no 'record' sign comes up, I have to hunt around to see if it has recorded the programme at a different day and time. It would be useful if it told you when it couldn't record at that time, and pointed out where the new recording could be found. If it couldn't find an alternative, it should just tell you that.

I would find that a big + for my overall TIVO experience.
As an experiment I think you should give it a month where you just trust it completely. If no record sign shows up don't look around to find out when it has scheduled the recording for, but trust that its been done. In fact, trust it to handle everything you ask of it. See if you miss anything. Start tomorrow. Call it chillvember. Report back!
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 22:00   #1184
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I agree, let the TiVo box do its work and you will find it will run smoothly with little to no input needed. I have wishlists setup for numerous programmes, and if an episode has been shown in the previous 28 days it won't record it. Ditto, if I already have 3 programmes recording at one time, it will record on a +1 channel if one exists, or look for the next time the programme is on and record that.

It's like everything, once you know your way around the box and understand how it works, you will only have the odd occasion where things don't record. One word of advice though, make sure you set all your series links to delete when I'm finished.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 22:27   #1185
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Ditto, if I already have 3 programmes recording at one time, it will record on a +1 channel if one exists,.
It will only do that for whishlists. Series links apply to the channel it was set up on only, so it will record a repeat, but not look for the +1 if it was set up on the 'normal time' channel.