Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 13-01-2012, 19:54   #766
blenky
Inactive

Services: M+ TV, TiVo 500GB, 100 MB BB, Phone
blenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I actually started another thread with this, but it was closed, and I was directed here.

Anyway, I just received this e-mail from VM. It isn't doubling my speed as I'm on 100mb, but it is quicker:
Strange I got exactly the same letter but I'm on 50Mbs and not 100Mbs!!!!
blenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2012, 19:55   #767
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Well I'm not holding my breath.

If VM upgrade me again for free I'll be pleased but I'm not going to get upset if it doesn't happen.

I reckon they have been more than fair with the free upgrades myself.
Old 13-01-2012, 19:58   #768
cookster
Inactive

cookster is on a distinguished roadcookster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dee 11 View Post
Where's the link for this?

I'm on 20 meg (loyality) and would like to check what the likely upgrade will be.

Thanks.......
cookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 19:59   #769
SuperHighway
Inactive

SuperHighway is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes you will be
cheers Ben, every little helps :-)
SuperHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:02   #770
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Strange I got exactly the same letter but I'm on 50Mbs and not 100Mbs!!!!
So what are they upgrading you to?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:06   #771
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

What will the price be if:
a) I stay on 50mb (to be uplifted to 100mb)
b) I upgrade now to 100mb (to be uplifted to 120mb)
after discount applied
Thanks
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:15   #772
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

ffs, everyone is getting emails saying they are going to be upgraded apart from me. Maybe they are getting me back for kicking off about my vmng300
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:22   #773
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I actually started another thread with this, but it was closed, and I was directed here.

Anyway, I just received this e-mail from VM. It isn't doubling my speed as I'm on 100mb, but it is quicker:
I have one of these emails and I am only on 20 mb . Think they have this email to me in error.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:22   #774
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Right, here's an update for everyone:

I thought to myself, if I upgrade from 50meg now to 100meg I'll get the price dropped down again in April to what I'm paying now. Then I'll get the 120meg service when it comes to my area for free. Simple no? So I called 150 and got through to Scotland.

Well, there are a few hitches. Firstly I have the 'Talk 08 2' package which was given out 'free for life' last year. Well, it turns out that if you upgrade it suddenly becomes chargeable so you have to drop it or accept an extra £2 per month fee. Sigh. I expected this would happen at some point as 'for life' usually means for the life of the offer rather than the life of the customer, still I would be prepared to drop it to ease the process.

Second hitch then kicked in, though the free upgrade to 100meg will not require an engineer visit, if you upgrade before the free offer kicks in an engineer visit is essential to 'check the wires'. I already have a Superhub so that's not the issue and my power levels and SNR are marvellous. The nice Scottish people tried, but there's no way around that one. So I've had to cry off until I can book time off work, which may be enough to put me off entirely so soon after Christmas.

Oh well, I tried. If anyone knows any way around these hitches then do tell, otherwise it looks like this approach may be a no go without mucho hastle.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:29   #775
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookster View Post
Where's the link for this?

I'm on 20 meg (loyality) and would like to check what the likely upgrade will be.

Thanks.......

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

It's been noticed that the wrong email has gone out

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...m-p/964951#M64
Old 13-01-2012, 20:30   #776
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
Oh well, I tried. If anyone knows any way around these hitches then do tell, otherwise it looks like this approach may be a no go without mucho hastle.
Retentions!

Or wait a little bit. I get the feeling VM will be dropping the requirement for an engineer. There are already one or two posts from people saying they called to get upgraded to 100meg and it was done over the phone with no hassle today. It may be a new thing that hasnt filtered out through team briefings yet.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:37   #777
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Looks like my upgrade is from July this year
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:41   #778
davidthornton
Inactive

davidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Retentions!

Or wait a little bit. I get the feeling VM will be dropping the requirement for an engineer. There are already one or two posts from people saying they called to get upgraded to 100meg and it was done over the phone with no hassle today. It may be a new thing that hasnt filtered out through team briefings yet.
Isn't getting an enginner usually dependent on whether you are already on 50Mbit with a SuperHub or not?
davidthornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:44   #779
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Retentions!

I do have 50meg and a Shub already with excellent SNR and power levels.

It can't be about team briefings as the computer simply wouldn't allow them to get around booking a visit. They tried beating it for a long time before finally admitting defeat. Retentions may help, but I've never called them before because I don't really want to get in to arguing the toss until someone gives in. Life's too short.

If they drop the engineer requirement before the deadline to qualify for the free 120meg upgrade (whenever that is) then I'll try again. Otherwise it looks like this avenue is full of obstacles.

My life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd! ~
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:47   #780
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Personally I can't see the engineer requirement for the top tier ever being dropped. It's a premium product and the flagship tier, so Virgin will want to make sure that it works as it should