Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dynamic DHCP Clients Lists

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dynamic DHCP Clients Lists

Old 12-01-2007, 18:39   #1
Goss
Inactive

Goss is an unknown quantity at this point
Dynamic DHCP Clients Lists

Hi there

I purchased a new D-Link DI-524 wireless router earlier today, connected it, it simply auto detected everything, i accessed the D-Link user interface, changed password, that's about all i did there because everything else that i could understand found it's place automaticaly, like mac address, ip address etc. No problems, well none that i'm aware of. I can access emails, surf web, chat on forums, download files, online gaming, the usual stuff. Anyway, i'm just curious about something i noticed in the Dynamic DHCP Clients list in the D-Link user interface/webpage (by the way i'm not using wireless technology, just straight connection from ntl:home 200 cable modem to router to pc) i'm just testing the router out, but anyway in the DHCP Clients List it has ..Host name, IP Address, MAC Address, Expired. I can see my computers information there and also just below my Host Name there is another Host Name, it's a womans name, different IP Address, different MAC Address, i'm just curious to know why that Host name Address is there if anybody knows i would appreciate your comments, & thanks. I am Admin to just the one computer at home.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2007, 18:43   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Dynamic DHCP Clients Lists

She is within range of your router and has been assigned an IP address by it...

She could be stealing your bandwidth at the very least!! Set up some security such as WPA-PSK & MAC address filtering...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 12:54   #3
Goss
Inactive

I reset the router, i disabled wireless feature, assigned new password etc, all is fine. Strange i thought, because i'm not using the wireless technology, but obviously the router can still pick up other mac addresses.
Old 13-01-2007, 13:06   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss View Post
I reset the router, i disabled wireless feature, assigned new password etc, all is fine. Strange i thought, because i'm not using the wireless technology, but obviously the router can still pick up other mac addresses.
Just because you arent using the Wireless Feature, doesn't mean someone else can't. Have you actually disabled it on the router now?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 13:17   #5
Goss
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Just because you arent using the Wireless Feature, doesn't mean someone else can't. Have you actually disabled it on the router now?
Aye, i have disabled wireless, mac filtering etc, no WLAN light on router, the womans mac address info has gone. So i'm about as secure as a plastic lock, lol. I can see why microsoft refused to support wifi technology.
Old 13-01-2007, 13:24   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss View Post
I can see why microsoft refused to support wifi technology.
They did? If so that's a bit of an oxymoron, have they checked the security on their Operating Systems lately?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 17:07   #7
Goss
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
They did? If so that's a bit of an oxymoron, have they checked the security on their Operating Systems lately?
Oops my bad i obviously got that wrong, of course microsoft support wireless technology with win xp, doh!, slaps his forhead, haha!. It was some time ago, i just about remember reading article/s on shields UP site, well actually it was the GRC Gibson Research Corporation Home page, security issues with win xp, open sockets, UpNp etc etc. I remember reading an article somwhere else on the internet with regards to gates & microsoft and security issues with wireless technology and there operating system, like i said obviously they offer support as in it's easy to setup in xp, but the security side is down to the end user, blah blah blah. Anyway i am a noob to wireless technology and setting it up for security (no outsiders in please, haha!) but i had a go at it today. I'm using my main pc as the access point, i have the asus p5b dlx wifi-ap motherboard, it has the 3-in-1 wireless LAN adapter built in, later on in the year i maybe purchasing a laptop? for use around the home. So anyway after a short while i was suprised how fairly easy it is to setup, i still had some problems, but quite shocked at seeing how many people have unsecured networks. There were four other networks that i could see and only two was showing secured, one of them was mine. Anyway like i said after a while i was able to connect and browse the internet using the wireless mode, but the thing is it was connected by a belkin 54 router/network but i'm using a wireless D-link router, so was i using that persons connection/bandwidth? or was it some sort of error report in windows when it said i was connected at 36kbps? with belkin 54. I could see the belkin 54 in the range window along with others.
Old 14-01-2007, 17:30   #8
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Sounds like you had accidentally connected to the other open network
If you right click on the Wireless tray icon and 'show available networks', make sure you click on yours and enter the password (wireless key) you set (Might have to disconnect from the other!). You can also set the order of preferred networks so it always chooses yours.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 10:46   #9
Goss
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Sounds like you had accidentally connected to the other open network
If you right click on the Wireless tray icon and 'show available networks', make sure you click on yours and enter the password (wireless key) you set (Might have to disconnect from the other!). You can also set the order of preferred networks so it always chooses yours.
Password (wireless key)? do you mean preshare key? because other than that i can't remember there being an option for any other type of key. Yeah i have set the preffered order in windows. But the preshare key was done in the D-Link router, lol, i'm confused.

Still can't connect to my network, it's there, i can see it, it's priority, but i can only connect to the other unsecured networks that are within range, obviously because they are not password protected?. I'm sure it did it automaticaly too? & why does it do it auto?. Flippin eck, hahaha!, i'm not sure what i'm doing, i'm slip sliding into the hacker terroritory,lol.

maybe i'll do a hard reset of the router and try to look for the option of the password (wireless key).

The thing is, do you let windows manage the wireless connection or is it best to let other software handle that.

I think to be honest, the problem is with the way i have the whole pc to router wired and wireless connection setup. The adapter is built into the motherboard and comes with an omni directional antenna, all drivers are loaded correctly but the wifi-ap software is a no go, i'm using ethernet too, if i don't then there is no live access to internet or emails etc.

It's taking some time to work it all out correctly, but i'm sure i'll get there in the end. Just trial & error i guess?.

The thing is, is it best to setup wireless in windows xp or in the router? this is where i'm confused. I appreciate any comments.

Thanks have a nice day, l8r.
Old 15-01-2007, 11:56   #10
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

You need to enter the WPA-PSK security key in XP as well as your router. I've always found it's better to let the adaptor manufacturer's software control the wireless settings rather than Windows.

You shouldn't have the wireless & wired interfaces active together. Disable the one you're not using by right clicking on its icon in the notification area & choosing 'Disable'.
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 13:35   #11
Goss
Inactive

yeah i have tried all suggestions/settings you have mentioned there in your reply Cobbydaler, but still can not connect to my network. I have disabled the wired ethernet cable connection in windows network connections, and then unticked allow windows to automaticaly find network but that does nothing, when i tick "use windows to configure my wireless network settings" and then click repair this connection it finds a network then an IP address and then connects, but it's connecting to a belkin 54 but my router.network is using a D-link, well when i hover the mouse pointer over the icon in the tray that's what information it gives me. No matter what i try i cannot connect to the network i think i have setup. So, it's working but at the expense of someone elses connectio/bandwidth/network, whatever. Like i said, if i allow windows to automaticaly configure everything i'll get a ("wireless") connection, but it's not mine, oops!, although not realy my fault. Still not to worry i'll keep at it, see if i can find another way around it?.

Thanks anyway, l8r.
Old 15-01-2007, 14:06   #12
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Goss,

To find the wireless key, connect to the router via ethernet and browse to http://192.168.0.1 (the default admin page). The DI 524 default user/pwd is admin/blank pwd.
I'm not sure how the screens look on that router, but I believe there is a Wireless button on left of screen. Under that you will be able to look at the wireless security and if it's using WPA, you are looking for the 'PreShared Key' (or PSK) which is a long string of letters/numbers. Copy this into notepad and then try to manually connect to the DLink wireless network. When it asks for the PSK, paste in the key you copied from the router.

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:58   #13
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

dlink for what ever reason have wireless on as default + unsecure with an ssid of "dlink"

something i think is shocking - ok it gets the average punter up and running no problem, but its a secruity issue..

just turn off ur wireless if your not using it.
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 17:14   #14
Goss
Inactive

Well ...i somehow got a connection to my network up and running, but only for a short while, then ...it was limited or no connectivity, ha!. The thing is, i can't remember exactly what i did other than a reset and a change of ID and mac filtering, i may of even cloned the mac address?.

And another thing is i have the asus p5b deluxe wifi-ap motherboard, it has the realtek ??? adapter onboard, and from what i gather information wise ...i don't realy need a router , i just use the onboard adapter c/w omni directional antenna, as the access point. So what a plonker i am, and ...what a waste of money?, although i am using the router (none wireless) now, so maybe not a complete waste of dosh?.

thanks people ...for your comments/input.

Wherever you are ..may the winds be at your back, l8r.
Old 21-01-2007, 14:12   #15
Goss
Inactive

Well ....the dude at pc world says the dlink router is incompatible with ntl so he gave me a refund.