Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fitting a Wireless LAN PCI Adaptor

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Fitting a Wireless LAN PCI Adaptor

Old 19-10-2005, 08:15   #1
Adriano
Inactive

Adriano is an unknown quantity at this point
Fitting a Wireless LAN PCI Adaptor

Hi, some of you may know or may not know that i am trying to set up wireless internet for my son, i ordered the items i required yesterday and they came this morning to my amazment, so how do i fit the LAN PCI Adaptor into my PC, as thier is no slot for it to fit into?

Thanks
Adriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2005, 08:56   #2
atlantis

Re: Fitting a Wireless LAN PCI Adaptor

Are you saying every PCI slot is full, or that you can't see any?
Even basic mini ATX boards have a minimum of two PCI slots, so there must be one on your board.
What type of PC are you using, is it the tower type, or one that sits under the monitor?
If under the monitor, these are older, have old type riser rail connections.
Can you provide more info please?
Old 19-10-2005, 10:27   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Take off the case and look around.
What you are looking for is white slots like shown HERE

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 12:39   #4
atlantis

That's what I was looking to find out, if he had an old machine with either VESA or ISA slots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industr...d_Architecture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Local_Bus
Old 19-10-2005, 13:28   #5
Adriano
Inactive

Thanks for your help, but i managed to fit the card into my PC

All i need to know now is how the hell i set it up!
Old 19-10-2005, 19:11   #6
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

Adriano, you're going about this the wrong way. There's this strange quirk in the human brain, which means that when people get a bit techie, they tend to lose whatever psychic powers they may at some time have had.

Therefore, when you ask them for help, you have to give them some idea of what you're talking about. ;-)

Now, I'd guess that you've got a wireless router, wireless connector(s) for your computer(s) and a broadband connection. Am I correct so far?

However much I rub my crystal ball (no insinuations, please!), though, I still can't pierce the veil any more than that.

You need to tell people:

What service (broadband? ISP? modem/settop box and what type?) you have

What router and connector(s) you've bought

And what computer(s) you're trying to connect: what make and model(s), what operating system and perhaps some description of the system.

Also, of course, whether the connection was previously set up (if it was...) with USB or ethernet.
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 22:21   #7
Adriano
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickp
Adriano, you're going about this the wrong way. There's this strange quirk in the human brain, which means that when people get a bit techie, they tend to lose whatever psychic powers they may at some time have had.

Therefore, when you ask them for help, you have to give them some idea of what you're talking about. ;-)

Now, I'd guess that you've got a wireless router, wireless connector(s) for your computer(s) and a broadband connection. Am I correct so far?

YES

However much I rub my crystal ball (no insinuations, please!), though, I still can't pierce the veil any more than that.

You need to tell people:

What service (broadband? ISP? modem/settop box and what type?) you have

I have NTL Broadband settop Box

What router and connector(s) you've bought

I have bought A Buffalo 54 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Router. And a Wireless LAN PCI Adapter

And what computer(s) you're trying to connect: what make and model(s), what operating system and perhaps some description of the system.

The PC with the NTL Broadband on is a custem made PC, which i do not know the make and Model off, as for the PC i want to use the wireless internet on that is a Elonex Pro Sentina

Also, of course, whether the connection was previously set up (if it was...) with USB or ethernet.
Not sure what you are quite asking here?
Old 19-10-2005, 22:26   #8
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

If it was connected to USB, the plug on the end of the lead going ito your computer will be a thin oblong affair. If it was ethernet, then the plug would look like an over-sized phone or modem lead's plug.

USB :- http://milov.nl/3029

Ethernet :- http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-105227.html
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 22:31   #9
atlantis

does this help?:

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/faq.php
Old 19-10-2005, 22:32   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

To make your wireless secure download this doc from my website
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.e...%20Network.doc

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2005, 10:01   #11
Adriano
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey152
If it was connected to USB, the plug on the end of the lead going ito your computer will be a thin oblong affair. If it was ethernet, then the plug would look like an over-sized phone or modem lead's plug.

USB :- http://milov.nl/3029

Ethernet :- http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-105227.html
My broadband is connected via a USB, and the Router came with an Ethernet Cable.

The thing i am stuggling with is, that when i install the disk on my pc, i keep on getting in the right hand side corner no adpapter??
Old 20-10-2005, 17:33   #12
Adriano
Inactive

Anyone?
Old 20-10-2005, 18:22   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

If every PCI slot is taken up and you PC doesn't have a network slot, the only thing that mat work is a USB to network adaptor.

I didn't ready until now the other posts

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2005, 21:46   #14
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano
My broadband is connected via a USB, and the Router came with an Ethernet Cable.

The thing i am stuggling with is, that when i install the disk on my pc, i keep on getting in the right hand side corner no adpapter??
AFAIK, if you have room in your PC, i.e. a spare PCI slot, just plug your network adapter into that (A wired one). You may already have a LAN connection built into your PC. If so, use this. This connects to your router, and will allow you to configure the router.

You unplug the USB cable from your cable modem, and replace it with an Ethernet patch cable (you may have had one supplied with the modem). This then plugs into the Cable/Internet/DSL connection on your router.

Once you have got the router up-and-running, and have internet access from your PC, you can then plug in the Wireless LAN card into your son's PC. Then you need to configure this wireless connection to access the router.
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote