Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Memory help required.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Accidentally cut a black cable!!

Old 19-08-2014, 17:10   #1
New comer
Inactive

New comer is an unknown quantity at this point
Accidentally cut a black cable!!

Hi All,

I am new here, and hope i can get some help. I accidentally cut a black cable while removing some of the old tile on my pavement. It run from the main road into my house.

I have no idea what cable is this, as my electric is there and it doesnt look like a fibre optic cable either.

Please could anyone shed some light on this?

many thanks.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: png Cable.PNG (409.6 KB, 73 views)
New comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2014, 17:24   #2
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Re: Accidentally cut a black cable!!

Thats VM cable feed and phone (twin) I believe.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 17:34   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Yes, it looks very similar to a roll of cable awaiting installation by VM next door.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 17:43   #4
New comer
Inactive

Thanks Guys. Much appreciated.

So should i just get a connector and reconnect them or get VM to do it for me? Will they charge me a fortune then?
Old 19-08-2014, 17:44   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by New comer View Post
Hi All,

I am new here, and hope i can get some help. I accidentally cut a black cable while removing some of the old tile on my pavement. It run from the main road into my house.

I have no idea what cable is this, as my electric is there and it doesnt look like a fibre optic cable either.

Please could anyone shed some light on this?

many thanks.

Simon.
That's a Siamese drop cable used for phone and tv.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 18:25   #6
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Whew!!!
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 18:31   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by New comer View Post
Thanks Guys. Much appreciated.

So should i just get a connector and reconnect them or get VM to do it for me? Will they charge me a fortune then?
Are you wanting VM services? If yes then it will need to be repaired. If no then you can probably ignore it.

A repair should be carried out by VM. Get it wrong and you risk causing noise (interference) to your own and neighbour's services. VM can often repair the cable, but sometimes will want to repull from the street cabinet. A charge for this is possible given it was you, not VM that did it. On the other hand the cable should have been a bit deeper and ideally in a green hose, so it would have had some protection.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 09:22   #8
New comer
Inactive

Thanks Rob. Will contact VM, much appreciated for all your help guys.
Old 20-08-2014, 10:11   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Really, don't bother unless you have cable TV, or definitely want to get it in the near future. You'll spend an age on the phone trying to get to the right department, only to find they won't be interested unless you're already a customer. Or, if you do manage to get them interested in coming out to fix it, they will likely try to charge you upwards of £100 for repairing damage you have caused.

Unless you know you definitely need the cable, just leave well alone.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 10:23   #10
New comer
Inactive

Good tips Chris. I am about so sign up their Fiber Optic bundle ( Including TV and phone), so i think I will use it as my bargaining chip to have it repaired for free!!.
Old 20-08-2014, 10:28   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If the cable isn't fit for use, they will replace it as part of the installation as a matter of course. When you phone to order, just let them know that there is a broken cable in the garden and they should arrange for the appropriate tech to come and put in a new one ahead of your install date.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 16:56   #12
New comer
Inactive

Thanks Chris.
Old 20-08-2014, 17:50   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Are you wanting VM services?On the other hand the cable should have been a bit deeper and ideally in a green hose, so it would have had some protection.
yup, I can't remember what the exact regulation/law for it is but it is something like a minimum of 2ft below the surface and it has got to be clearly marked as a warning. If VM installed the cable and didn't do this then it is their own fault and the op shouldn't be charged.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 04:41   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I'd be a little concerned about noise, liquid, or corrosive ingress on the exposed cable end if left outdoors, but as stated by others above, it's not worth the effort trying to get VM to do anything about it anyway. It's really their responsibility to disconnect the drop at the cab if it's causing a problem. Assuming it's an area that actually has those kind of drops...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 11:42   #15
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
yup, I can't remember what the exact regulation/law for it is but it is something like a minimum of 2ft below the surface and it has got to be clearly marked as a warning. If VM installed the cable and didn't do this then it is their own fault and the op shouldn't be charged.
Doesn't apply on private land
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote