Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:15   #901
RBMark

Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
It won't be as bad but may last 2 or 3 quarters.

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

To be honest friend I can't find the answer to this on the net. I've asked the question Can Britain trade with whomever it wants to when Article 50 is invoked?
Britain will still be bound to all the rules and regulations of the EU even after A50 is invoked. Think of it like handing in your notice at work, you still have to turn up to work, follow all the rules you just might not be called into some very important and sensitive meetings.

Advertisement
Old 01-07-2016, 12:18   #902
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Are we free to trade at will once A50 is invoked?
Probably not, but I don't see why any trade negotiations could not be done and finalised in that period.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:20   #903
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Probably not, but I don't see why any trade negotiations could not be done and finalised in that period.
That's what I would have thought but not sure.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:23   #904
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Well it would be pretty daft to wait 2 years to deal with Europe then after that point make a start on the rest of the world, you'd lose a lot of time to the detriment of the country.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:57   #905
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

I suspect the EU have already decided what they are prepared to offer and what's not on offer. They've also decided the terms on which the offers will be made if we invoke Article 50.

The UK needs to be just as ready when they invoke Article 50.
Old 01-07-2016, 13:13   #906
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I don't see why we can't make overtures to various nations, I suspect many theoretical possibilities where considered even prior to last Thursday, but it takes a long time to hammer out trade deals. They're messy things.

The bigger problem seems to quite literally be a lack of manpower. Reports last weekend said we don't have enough trade negotiators to deal with the EU yet let alone to go out and strike up deals with other nations. Finally any prospect deals then need input from different government departments/sectors of industry.
Old 01-07-2016, 13:21   #907
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
I suspect the EU have already decided what they are prepared to offer and what's not on offer. They've also decided the terms on which the offers will be made if we invoke Article 50.

The UK needs to be just as ready when they invoke Article 50.
Although the new Prime Minister is still to be put in place work is going on to set up the Civil Service department that will be responsible for the task of untangling the UK’s decades-long relationship with the EU.

Quote:
snippet.....Downing Street this week announced that a new team had been set up in the Cabinet Office, bringing together the “brightest and best” officials to start planning options on Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union for whoever succeeds David Cameron as Tory leader. Cameron is set to step down in September after Britain voted to leave the EU, and has appointed the Home Office’s second permanent secretary Olly Robbins to lead the new unit.

It will draw on support from Treasury, Cabinet Office, Foreign Office and Business department staff, although ministers have said all departments will be involved in its work.
https://www.civilserviceworld.com/ar...team-says-dclg

Oliver Robbins

I know many people think that the Civil Service is a joke but I certainly hope this new Brexit unit does what needs to be done to give our political negotiators the backing they will certainly need in the coming months
Old 01-07-2016, 13:22   #908
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Well it would be pretty daft to wait 2 years to deal with Europe then after that point make a start on the rest of the world, you'd lose a lot of time to the detriment of the country.
Indeed but what if they say we can't do that?
Old 01-07-2016, 13:31   #909
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Considering that the USA now wants a deal (Though that may be TIPP which is unacceptable) at least talks are starting.

Also NZ have offered their negotiators to help us out apparently. I'll give links when I get home in a couple of hrs.
Old 01-07-2016, 13:38   #910
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
Indeed but what if they say we can't do that?
They can get round that by having a second group having exploratory talks with the rest of the world so we know where to go if or when EU deals fail to offer what we want.

Europe also trades with the rest of the world via Amazon which is based in Luxembourg so how do Luxembourg get away with that?

Perhaps the EU get away with rest of the world trade by using a third party in this case Amazon.
Old 01-07-2016, 13:56   #911
RizzyKing

Under the current EU rules after invoking article 50 two years must pass and the UK fully exit the EU before trade negotiations can begin, in my opinion it's a punitive measure designed purely to make things harder then they need to be for any nation leaving the EU. I have no doubt that informal talks on trade would occur during the article 50 2 year period which could then be official trade deals at the end of the 2 years. Personally once a nation invokes article 50 they are on a one-way route out of the EU and the EU has no right to limit that nation in it's trade dealings with anyone outside of the EU. The fact the EU does hold sway over non EU trade negotiations is another example of why I want out of the EU.

Old 01-07-2016, 14:06   #912
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Under the current EU rules after invoking article 50 two years must pass and the UK fully exit the EU before trade negotiations can begin
Doesn't mean we can't have 'exploratory' meetings. Informal chats here and there.
Old 01-07-2016, 14:08   #913
RizzyKing

Hence why I mentioned informal talks.

Old 01-07-2016, 14:09   #914
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Hence why I mentioned informal talks.
Sorry, somehow skimmed right past that.
Old 01-07-2016, 14:17   #915
RizzyKing

I think all our heads are spinning a bit at this point .

Closed Thread