Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 17-07-2015, 13:03   #931
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes, but you can't go from Win 7 or 8 straight to 10240. You'd have to go via an earlier build, and you now can't activate those. See this twitter exchange

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/621395106789093376
I could upload 10166 then be to upgrade from there for sure do upgrade install from 7 or 8.1 stay activated then from there can get build 10240 via windows updates

ps thinking I did 8.1 to 10166 then to 10240 so yes best go that way
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2015, 13:03   #932
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
I uploading the build 10240 ISO to my onedrive I pm you a link when done so you can try it if you want to
If you could that would be great

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 13:22   #933
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
If you could that would be great
10240 done will send link now but think best get a earlier one first to be save for activation I uploading earlier build now
Old 17-07-2015, 15:24   #934
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

@Dave42
did you do clean install or upgrade from windows 7 or windows 8.1?
can you confirm windows 10 build 10240 is no expire date and activated permanently?

i get permanently activated from clean install? why?
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 15:35   #935
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
@Dave42
did you do clean install or upgrade from windows 7 or windows 8.1?
can you confirm windows 10 build 10240 is no expire date and activated permanently?

i get permanently activated from clean install? why?
I updated win 8.1 to 10166 and then to 10240 yes permanently activated then after activated I clean installed 10240 still permanently activated here

this is RTM that why permanently activated mate we get ga updates on date of release on 29th there doing exactly same as they did for windows 8
Old 17-07-2015, 15:48   #936
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

on 29th July new build or just updates?
i thought we o ready have RTM. so why we need new build or updates on 29th July if we are on RTM build?
yeah your right i upgraded first then i did clean install.
i think windows 10 remembers my windows 8.1 serial key when i did clean install.
maybe windows 10 saved my win 8.1 key in the BIOS or on Microsoft server.
so you can format your hard disk drive and still be activated permanently. or forever
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 15:51   #937
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
on 29th July new build or just updates?
i thought we o ready have RTM. so why we need new build or updates on 29th July if we are on RTM build?
yeah your right i upgraded first then i did clean install.
i think windows 10 remembers my windows 8.1 serial key when i did clean install.
maybe windows 10 saved my win 8.1 key in the BIOS or on Microsoft server.
so you can format your hard disk drive and still be activated permanently. or forever
the one that's released on 29th should have the updates build into it one now should get the updates on 29th from windows updates

think once upgrade is done and activated it saves it to Microsoft server so once you clean install it activate automatically
Old 17-07-2015, 16:40   #938
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold

Can i ask a question?if i download windows 10 on release date and don't like it can a system restore remove windows10 and give me windows 7 back.cheers
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 16:42   #939
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgyburn View Post
Can i ask a question?if i download windows 10 on release date and don't like it can a system restore remove windows10 and give me windows 7 back.cheers
yes you be to roll back to windows 7
Old 17-07-2015, 16:44   #940
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Well I just downloaded 10240 to try on my laptop which all works nice but it won't activate.

So I think I'll just wait a couple of weeks and get the 'proper' one now

-------------

edit - sorted, I activated it via the command line
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 18:18   #941
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgyburn View Post
Why not become an 'insider' after the 29th July and get Windows 10 for free without risking your Windows 7 activation?
Old 17-07-2015, 18:24   #942
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
Well I just downloaded 10240 to try on my laptop which all works nice but it won't activate.

So I think I'll just wait a couple of weeks and get the 'proper' one now

-------------

edit - sorted, I activated it via the command line
great hope you enjoy it
Old 17-07-2015, 18:39   #943
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

It seems ok - no cortana yet though. It says it's disabled on this region. I bet it was a us iso. I can live without that for a couple of weeks though
Old 17-07-2015, 18:40   #944
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
It seems ok - no cortana yet though. It says it's disabled on this region. I bet it was a us iso. I can live without that for a couple of weeks though
I pm you a link for en-gb one ok
Old 17-07-2015, 18:57   #945
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Cool - cheers