Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Large bundles of Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Large bundles of Channels
View Poll Results: Are the large bundles of Channels from the likes of VM and Sky sustainable long term
Yes 15 33.33%
No 25 55.56%
Don't know 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2016, 10:41   #1
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Large bundles of Channels

Are the large bundles of Channels from the likes of VM and Sky sustainable long term ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2016, 10:47   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Large bundles of Channels

Well there are over 15 million people who buy bundles just from those two so its going to need a significant sea change for things to change IMO MM.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:02   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Those answering "No" must present a viable alternative
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:32   #4
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Those answering "No" must present a viable alternative
Isn't Freeview and an OTT service a viable option for many ?
Old 07-10-2016, 12:09   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Surely nobody can watch 90% of the channels they subscribe to, I know i don't on XL. If they could allow customers to pick and choose rather than 'bundles', however guess it isn't profitable. I'm looking to downgrade as most channels worth watching are on Freeview ( VMs constant price rises are of course another factor).
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:50   #6
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Paying for channels you don't watch or want has always been a pain in the neck. Does this kind of thing go on in other industries? I must pay for about 200 channels I don't want in order to get access to about the 20 I do want. As services like TV Player grow, pay TV must do a rethink as to how they bundle and sell their packages.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 13:02   #7
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

A lot of the smaller channels are not sustainable without the support of other more popular channels, the majority of people appear to be happy to pay more to get the popular channels even though they don't watch the majority of the smaller channels

We would be worse off if the smaller minority channels were forced to close if they had to stand alone, back to almost the days of only BBC and ITV
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 13:16   #8
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
A lot of the smaller channels are not sustainable without the support of other more popular channels, the majority of people appear to be happy to pay more to get the popular channels even though they don't watch the majority of the smaller channels

We would be worse off if the smaller minority channels were forced to close if they had to stand alone, back to almost the days of only BBC and ITV
The cost of Sporting rights will see to that , if the likes of Discovery can get squeezed.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-channel-prov/
Old 07-10-2016, 13:58   #9
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Paying for channels you don't watch or want has always been a pain in the neck. Does this kind of thing go on in other industries? I must pay for about 200 channels I don't want in order to get access to about the 20 I do want. As services like TV Player grow, pay TV must do a rethink as to how they bundle and sell their packages.

Spot on mate, we are lumbered with a load of total tosh imo, lets have quality, over quantity, personally i think the days are numbered for tv packages filled with rubbish that no one wants.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 16:56   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

The argument has always been that the more popular channels subsidise the more niche channels.

If people were allowed to drop the niche channels that they don't watch, they would either close or be forced to need extra revenue per subscriber to survive.

This would lead to less choice for the same money and/or the niche channel/s* that you do watch closing or actually costing more.

* We all are in the minority on some occasions. It's not the case that lots of people are always in the majority and a small group of people are always in the minority, these groups are interchangeable.

For example, I don't need the children's channels any longer. If I and others could pay a little less, they may become unsustainable and close or the remaining viewers would need to cough up more. This would negate any savings made by them getting rid of any channels that they don't want.

In essence, pack prices wouldn't go down (as if they would ever do this anyway!), but the number of channels available to you (whether you watch them or not) would reduce.

If any channels were removed due to being unsustainable, this would make the platform less attractive, meaning that VM may well have to actually increase prices for less channels as customer numbers dwindle & the benefits of economies of scale are reduced.

Having said all this, I've voted "don't know" as the emerging OTT services are gaining more and more popularity and could be a game changer.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 17:10   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

If I went to a resturant for a meal and was told I had to pay for 4 others to be able to get one I'd have something to say about it.

"Niche" channels? Meh, they already have an alternative platform to broadcast on, it's called YouTube. They can also get funding via Google ads and subscriptions via that platform.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 17:11   #12
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

If Discovery, National Geographic and Fox came onto freeview i would drop pay tv in a flash
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 17:25   #13
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

"Niche" channels? Meh, they already have an alternative platform to broadcast on, it's called YouTube. They can also get funding via Google ads and subscriptions via that platform.
Assuming that everyone that watch these niche channels have broadband
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 17:26   #14
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
If Discovery, National Geographic and Fox came onto freeview i would drop pay tv in a flash
^ this.
Old 07-10-2016, 17:49   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
If I went to a resturant for a meal and was told I had to pay for 4 others to be able to get one I'd have something to say about it.

The end result is likely to be that you will pay the same, but not have access to some of the less popular channels. At least this way you have the choice now and in the future.

It is true that things are changing with OTT providers, YouTube etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
I doubt that they will be going FTA any time soon, although some pay channel operators are now showing some of their older material on unbranded FTA channels specially created to wring the last bit of revenue out of them.

This is a good example to use.

If everybody could drop these channels, you would either lose access to them or have to pay more as the subsidy from others would stop. This would negate the saving made by you from ceasing to subscribe to channels you don't need.

The end result would likely be the same price for less channels!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote