Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | need advice and help for a possible fix

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

need advice and help for a possible fix

Old 23-11-2015, 17:47   #76
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Deathcrush87 can only hope to improve
Re: need advice and help for a possible fix

i have ordered a CATV 30 m cable. waiting for its delivery.
Deathcrush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2015, 17:57   #77
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Start by connecting a PC/Laptop directly to the shub so as to eliminate any problems occurring in your internal network. It will either show an external problem or indicate that the problem is within your house.
To quote qas "+12"

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
the only way you are going to get a new shub is by directly connection a pc (which means long patch cable from upstairs if you don't want to move your pc downstairs) because the only test VM will accept is from a single device directly connected to the shub so they can rule our wireless interference and any 3rd party hardware (e.g. if you was using your own router). Using a shub 2 will go a long way towards fixing your problems but I still think there are two of three contributing factors. The other two is wifi and electrical interference through the powerline adapters. All of that would be fixed by either getting a proper router with decent wifi or running patch cables straight to the router for a wired connection, all of which I said in my first post. Getting a new router wont fix the interference between your router and the powerline adapters. If you need want a perfect connection for gaming you need to fix all the problems and not just one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcrush87 View Post
jolly good.

if i pop in Maplin, ans ask for a CATV for say, 30 meters, will that do?
Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
i have ordered a CATV 30 m cable. waiting for its delivery.
you had better be joking otherwise I am going to ask Hugh to close this thread. I am beginning to wonder if you are related to Telford.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:01   #78
Deathcrush87
Inactive

yeh, i ordered it from ur link Gmax

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

Quote:
To quote qas "+12"

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

you had better be joking otherwise I am going to ask Hugh to close this thread. I am beginning to wonder if you are related to Telford.
why?
Old 23-11-2015, 18:05   #79
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

because you don't need a catv cable and luckily for you you haven't ordered one. You have ordered a 30m utp patch cable.
Old 23-11-2015, 18:07   #80
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Quote:
because you don't need a catv cable and luckily for you you haven't ordered one. You have ordered a 30m utp patch cable.
so what was the link you gave me?
Old 23-11-2015, 18:13   #81
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
You have ordered a 30m utp patch cable.
(which is what you need)
Old 23-11-2015, 18:14   #82
Deathcrush87
Inactive

why did you give me that link then?
omg luckily i did NOT order ur linksys..
Old 23-11-2015, 18:37   #83
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
why did you give me that link then?
because that is what you need in order to bypass your powerline adapters and establish a direct wired connection to the shub. You have ordered a "network" cable which establishes the connection between your pc and the shub. What you wanted to order is coax which is responsible for your outside connection between the shub (modem) and VM's network.

Quote:
omg luckily i did NOT order ur linksys..
why?
Old 23-11-2015, 18:39   #84
Deathcrush87
Inactive

someone has to translate to me what this guy is saying..

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

because that is what you need in order to bypass your powerline adapters and establish a direct wired connection to the shub

ok, thats what i ordered, so now what?
Old 23-11-2015, 18:49   #85
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I see the confusion he has ordered a Cat5 cable NOT a CATV cable. When he write CATV he meant CAT five. I hope
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:56   #86
Deathcrush87
Inactive

isnt CATV = CAT5? V is the roman numeral for 5..
Old 23-11-2015, 19:00   #87
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I see the confusion he has ordered a Cat5 cable NOT a CATV cable. When he write CATV he meant CAT five. I hope
well spotted dude, I would never have got that in a million years because I have never seen Cat5 written as catv

Quote:
isnt CATV = CAT5? V is the roman numeral for 5..
it sure is but you didn't order that either, you ordered a cat5e and if you had written it as catve I might have twigged eventually. I have a networking certification from the gods of networking and I have never seen cat5 written as catv nor cat6 written as catvi. You aren't doing yourself any favours.
Old 23-11-2015, 19:05   #88
Deathcrush87
Inactive

just in case, did your school teacher teach you how to read?
Today, 18:01 Deathcrush87: yeh, i ordered it from ur link Gmax

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

dont need a PHD in anything to spot that..

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

i was like, omg this genius gave me the wrong link or what..
Old 23-11-2015, 19:26   #89
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

You caused the confusion. See here:-

http://www.therealcableguy.com/catv-...components.htm

Those are CATV cables.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 19:47   #90
Deathcrush87
Inactive

i guess we are all matured enough to know the difference between Television cables and networking ones.
btw, if i were u i would stop taking sides and sarcasm like 5 years old kids.
god, why its always easier to find a solution in American forums, without all these name-calling and arguing? grow up please.
im not here on a verbal joust, im here to ask for advice.

"he is right", "thanx for backing me up there", "ur fault", "u caused it", "u said this"...
jesus christ..
thank goodness i pointed out my limited knowledge in my op.

what are u going to prove? that i dont have the knowledge? well guess what, if i had i would not come here asking.