Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | need advice and help for a possible fix

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

need advice and help for a possible fix

Old 22-11-2015, 11:49   #61
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: need advice and help for a possible fix

Wireless ac is backwards compatable with other devices. You'll still only get the speed they are capable of.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2015, 20:43   #62
Eeeps
cf.addict

Eeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcrush87 View Post
which one should i ask them to send us?
Sorry but I've got to comment here.

The fantastic Wi-Fi speeds that are being quoted here just won't be possible in your situation.

Firstly, the 'ac' standards are only available on the 5GHz band that does have limited range. You'd have to also purchase a 5Ghz ac card in addition to any router.

Being in the 'attic' means that you 'see' lots of other 2.4Ghz networks but the router downstairs won't see all of these and won't be able to co-operate with them. 2.4GHz won't work well.

The only way forward is to get a working powerline system or a Ethernet cable.

Given you've already said that a cable isn't possible then powerline seems the way to go.

I have never used powerline systems but question if two disparate systems can be used together on the same internal wiring? I know that the standards say so but do they actually work together?

In terms of diagnosis of your problems it seems to me that you have significant (if not the only) problems in your internal connection from your PC to the router.

To get reliable and (game) workable connections you need to see less than 1% packet loss and a consistent ping of < 100ms.
From your posts it seems that you can't even get this over your BT powerline adapters - this is where you need to look initially.

Try disconnecting all other powerline system other than the two you are using (just temporarily for a test). Do a ping test for one minute (-n 60) and post the summary after the ping completes here. Would be interesting to do that test both with and without the other powerline system connected.

By the way, do you use the SH1 Wi-Fi? If not, switch it off. The Thinkbroadband graphs suggest that there is significant use being made of the connection. Might be worth looking at the use figures on the SH1 (although known not to be accurate).

Ian
Eeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 21:16   #63
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Deathcrush87 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeps View Post
Sorry but I've got to comment here.

The fantastic Wi-Fi speeds that are being quoted here just won't be possible in your situation.

Firstly, the 'ac' standards are only available on the 5GHz band that does have limited range. You'd have to also purchase a 5Ghz ac card in addition to any router.

Being in the 'attic' means that you 'see' lots of other 2.4Ghz networks but the router downstairs won't see all of these and won't be able to co-operate with them. 2.4GHz won't work well.

The only way forward is to get a working powerline system or a Ethernet cable.

Given you've already said that a cable isn't possible then powerline seems the way to go.

I have never used powerline systems but question if two disparate systems can be used together on the same internal wiring? I know that the standards say so but do they actually work together?

In terms of diagnosis of your problems it seems to me that you have significant (if not the only) problems in your internal connection from your PC to the router.

To get reliable and (game) workable connections you need to see less than 1% packet loss and a consistent ping of < 100ms.
From your posts it seems that you can't even get this over your BT powerline adapters - this is where you need to look initially.

Try disconnecting all other powerline system other than the two you are using (just temporarily for a test). Do a ping test for one minute (-n 60) and post the summary after the ping completes here. Would be interesting to do that test both with and without the other powerline system connected.

By the way, do you use the SH1 Wi-Fi? If not, switch it off. The Thinkbroadband graphs suggest that there is significant use being made of the connection. Might be worth looking at the use figures on the SH1 (although known not to be accurate).

Ian

Dear Ian,

many thanx for your comment.
so the SH2ac is not backward compatible, is that right?

i tired my BT powerline without Netgear powerline, the difference was quite minimal.
i really think the main problem lies withing the SH1 we have here.
i use wifi mostly, as sometimes BT powerline's connection is unstable.

tbh, i get quite confusing replies here, one says the powerline is bad, the other says its good, the other says you need 5ghz, and one claims wifi is garbage and that solid wired connection is the only way to go.
im running on a very limited budget now, and my first priority is to fix the stability of the internet. then i can focus on making it the best.
one day my connection is so good, the next hour it can not open a wikipedia webpage. one minute my ping is over 1000, the other its less than 30 ms.

my own guess says the problem is either Virgin or the router (SH1).

lets go step by step. lets see if SH2 would fix some of the issues.
Deathcrush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 21:37   #64
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

The problem is that wifi is affected by so many other factors, such as distance, thickness and composition of walls and floors, the equipment receiving the wifi, as well as the router (and the SH1 is renowned for poor wifi, but the SH2AC is better).

Powerlines depend on the condition of the wiring, and there often can be problems if different floors are on different ring mains.

btw, the SH2AC is backward compatible.

The only way to guarantee consistent speeds is a cabled link - having said that, I am getting 133Mb/s wifi, but that is on an iPad Pro about 10 feet from my SH2AC.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 22:39   #65
Eeeps
cf.addict

Eeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Dear Ian,

many thanx for your comment.
It is backward compatible but you can't use its advanced 'ac' technology unless you have a 5GHz wireless 'ac' card in your PC.

Quote:
i tired my BT powerline without Netgear powerline, the difference was quite minimal.
Did you disconnect all the other powerline units? Not just the one at the SH1?
What test did you perform after you disconnected the other units?

Quote:
i really think the main problem lies withing the SH1 we have here.
i use wifi mostly, as sometimes BT powerline's connection is unstable.

tbh, i get quite confusing replies here, one says the powerline is bad, the other says its good, the other says you need 5ghz, and one claims wifi is garbage and that solid wired connection is the only way to go.
im running on a very limited budget now, and my first priority is to fix the stability of the internet. then i can focus on making it the best.
one day my connection is so good, the next hour it can not open a wikipedia webpage. one minute my ping is over 1000, the other its less than 30 ms.

I would suggest that you need to perform some careful diagnosis test to properly identify where the problem lies.

Test your BT powerline adapter in isolation.

Disconnect all other power line systems and then:-
1. Test the BT system in the same room
2. Test the BT system attic to router
3. Reconnect the other powerline and test again.

The best test is to use the ping command with an extended payload...
On Windows...

ping -l 10000 192.168.0.1 -n 60

This should return zero packet loss and low consistent (<50ms) response time.

Only when you have confirmed your internal network is working ok can you start to point you finger at Virgin.

As mentioned before, the SH1 Wi-Fi has particularly poor range.

If Wi-Fi is the way to go (I doubt it), then one solution would be to connect a cheap good quality wireless 'n' dual band (2.4 and 5Ghz concurrent) router to your existing SH1 and site it on the first floor (or maybe in an elevated position on the ground floor).

Regarding testing the broadband bit directly on the router, do you not know any friends who would be willing to assist with a laptop?

If so, put the SH1 into modem mode and connect the laptop and run a few speed tests. If they can be run at 6am, 2pm and 10pm that would give you a good basis to judge the VM bit.

Cheers,

Ian
Eeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 00:42   #66
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The Thinkbroadband graphs suggest that there is significant use being made of the connection. Might be worth looking at the use figures on the SH1 (although known not to be accurate).

Ian
No, it does not. Looking at the usage figures would not help (even if they were accurate, which they're not) as that is not the problem.

The latency ramping bug on the SH1 makes the router ping more and more erratic over time, when it's run in router mode. Latency can be reset via a reboot of the SH1 (which the OP has said he is not wanting to do at the moment), or by putting it into modem mode.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...g/td-p/2816905
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 11:28   #67
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
but now you recommend a £10 cheaper Asus?
Eh? You're moaning about £10? That's the cost of two pints around here, and I don't even drink.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Quote:
ok. you see my dear General, im using a wifi card that only has a 300 mb/s thing.
and we use a 100 mb VM plan.
and no one in the house has a 5ghz wifi device, beside the PS3 guy, and he really doesnt care.
so, is going for a 800mbits really gonna have much impact?
Given the PS3 is the biggest console without 5Ghz WiFi I have a hard time believing the rest of your information.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
When you get a letter in the not too distant future from VM telling you you are being upgraded to 150mbits for free you will be back here moaning your ass off you can't get over 90. Wifi is the way forward and everything is moving to 5ghz and ac so you had might as well get something which is compatible/future proofed now otherwise next time somebody buys a console/phone/tablet/laptop they will be moaning it is slow or they cant take advantage of the full potential of their device.
Couldn't agree more General.
I could, but I won't.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

Quote:
sometimes in life you should look at what you have, not at what you could have..
Then why are we here at all?

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

Quote:
"what is the best channel? "
14 is always the best channel!

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

Quote:
every hour or so i save the BQM monitor as a png file, so it would make sense to him that there is actually a problem with our internet.
You realise the BQM is only worth updating once a day and Thinkbroadband already provides an archive of every PNG file you can download at any time, right?

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 ----------

Quote:
300-600Mbps and 1300+Mbps ish
In this case it's 450 vs 1300.

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

Quote:
The only way forward is to get a [..] Ethernet cable.

Very rarely. Symptoms exactly like this are more the norm.

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Quote:
You've already been told ten times it's backwards compatible.

Quote:
It's very simple.
Cable ethernet > Powerline > Wireless > Crappy mixed up broken powerline that you don't know how to use.

Quote:
im running on a very limited budget now, and my first priority is to fix the stability of the internet.
You've already been told ten times your internet is perfectly stable.

Quote:
You've already been told ten times that is the fault of your powerline network.

Quote:
Your own guess is wrong. Maybe listen to what you've already been told ten times by five different people.

Quote:
We already have. You're ignoring the facts.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The only way to guarantee consistent speeds is a cabled link - having said that, I am getting 133Mb/s wifi, but that is on an iPad Pro about 10 feet from my SH2AC.
^^ Eleven times?

My phone gets about 800Mbps, but that's because I use hacks.

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Quote:

Did you disconnect all the other powerline units? Not just the one at the SH1?
What test did you perform after you disconnected the other units?

I would suggest that you need to perform some careful diagnosis test to properly identify where the problem lies.

Test your BT powerline adapter in isolation.

Disconnect all other power line systems and then:-
1. Test the BT system in the same room
2. Test the BT system attic to router
3. Reconnect the other powerline and test again.

The best test is to use the ping command with an extended payload...
On Windows...

ping -l 10000 192.168.0.1 -n 60

This should return zero packet loss and low consistent (<50ms) response time.

Only when you have confirmed your internal network is working ok can you start to point you finger at Virgin.

As mentioned before, the SH1 Wi-Fi has particularly poor range.

If Wi-Fi is the way to go (I doubt it), then one solution would be to connect a cheap good quality wireless 'n' dual band (2.4 and 5Ghz concurrent) router to your existing SH1 and site it on the first floor (or maybe in an elevated position on the ground floor).

Regarding testing the broadband bit directly on the router, do you not know any friends who would be willing to assist with a laptop?

If so, put the SH1 into modem mode and connect the laptop and run a few speed tests. If they can be run at 6am, 2pm and 10pm that would give you a good basis to judge the VM bit.

Cheers,

Ian
^^ This.

+1

+11

+11111oneoneoneelevenhundredandone

+over9000
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 12:49   #68
Deathcrush87
Inactive

@qasdfdsaq

chill your beans mate.
i get a single shot whiskey plus soda on the rocks for £2.70 here.
btw, with additional stuff, you can connect your ps3 to a 5ghz wifi.
Old 23-11-2015, 14:53   #69
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

With additional stuff you can connect anything to 5Ghz WiFi, why don't you get it for all your gear?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 15:02   #70
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
With additional stuff you can connect anything to 5Ghz WiFi, why don't you get it for all your gear?
well thats the plan.
let me get the new superhub first, then the proper router and then additional stuff ^^
Old 23-11-2015, 15:05   #71
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

What sort of building are you in - thick stone walls (and certain types of concrete buildings with steel rod bracings) can heavily interfere with wifi.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 16:34   #72
Deathcrush87
Inactive

seems those stubborn *******s are not going to send us a new SuperHub what so ever..
gonna make a complaint then cancel our contract.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
What sort of building are you in - thick stone walls (and certain types of concrete buildings with steel rod bracings) can heavily interfere with wifi.
nah, its an old building with brick outer walls and wooden interior walls.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

lol but my landlord told them off really well :3

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

any suggestions for another ISP?
is BT any good?
Old 23-11-2015, 16:54   #73
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
seems those stubborn *******s are not going to send us a new SuperHub what so ever..
gonna make a complaint then cancel our contract.
..and yet again you didn't follow my advice ; request the Superhub via the community forum.

While they take a few days to answer, you'd get it sorted no problem without having to jump through diagnostic hoops.

Calling regular customer services only results in what you experienced.

The other alternative is to call 'retentions', the thinking-of-leaving department. They deal with a lot more than people who want to cancel. Your landlord could get a new Superhub and money off his bill at the same time.

Btw, you don't have a contract so you can't cancel it.

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Quote:
any suggestions for another ISP?
is BT any good?
Getting a new ISP is more hassle, money and time than getting a Superhub for free. Also no guarantee whether a BT/Sky connection will work reliably.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:11   #74
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
..and yet again you didn't follow my advice ; request the Superhub via the community forum.

While they take a few days to answer, you'd get it sorted no problem without having to jump through diagnostic hoops.

Calling regular customer services only results in what you experienced.

The other alternative is to call 'retentions', the thinking-of-leaving department. They deal with a lot more than people who want to cancel. Your landlord could get a new Superhub and money off his bill at the same time.

Btw, you don't have a contract so you can't cancel it.

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Getting a new ISP is more hassle, money and time than getting a Superhub for free. Also no guarantee whether a BT/Sky connection will work reliably.
i have to ask my landlord to request this in the Virgin's forums.
i am not the account holder you know. i dont know his account number anyway.

could you please tell me more about this 'retentions'? contact number etc..

my landlord said he would probably cancel it, you wont believe it what treatment we got over the phone. might be a hassle, changing the ISP, but the goodies which come with it makes it worth-while.

just look at the comments here..
seriously i have been treated better in any other forums. not u, but most of others here talk really arrogant.
im just trying to fix the internet/connection or whatever you call it, so atleast i can load a single webpage normally. not much to ask really.
Old 23-11-2015, 17:29   #75
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
just look at the comments here..
seriously i have been treated better in any other forums. not u, but most of others here talk really arrogant.
im just trying to fix the internet/connection or whatever you call it, so atleast i can load a single webpage normally. not much to ask really.
Correct its not much too ask but anything that has been suggested here has been rejected by you. You really need to establish where the fault as there seem to be several different problems occurring.

Start by connecting a PC/Laptop directly to the shub so as to eliminate any problems occurring in your internal network. It will either show an external problem or indicate that the problem is within your house.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote