Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | need advice and help for a possible fix

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

need advice and help for a possible fix

Old 29-11-2015, 11:56   #106
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Deathcrush87 can only hope to improve
Re: need advice and help for a possible fix

and

Mod edit - first image replaced, as it was too large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CFservicestatus.jpg (129.2 KB, 37 views)
Deathcrush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2015, 18:10   #107
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcrush87 View Post
Dear Mud Wizard,

many thanks. i really appreciate your help.
what should i do next?
I already told you: post everything (or the gist of it) on the forum, including the TBB graph (very important as it shows the problem with the regular packet loss spikes) and a link to this thread, wait a few days for the VM forum team to respond, start their investigation and ask for more info, then you'll probably need to get the landlord to confirm account details.

Don't bother the landlord before then.

Ideally make sure that when you present your test results you do it in modem mode (create another TBB graph for that) with an ethernet cable. keep the powerline and wifi out of the testing or this will go on forever.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 18:14   #108
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
That sounds normal as you don't know how to use modem mode.
Lol
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 22:04   #109
Deathcrush87
Inactive

news news news..
so, for the last few days, staying online for more than 10 minutes was impossible.
this time everyone in the house got ****ed.

so today, just this afternoon, our landlord came here and brought a new router with himself. apparently, he got to understand that superhub works better in modem mode.

so, we did setup the new router, and again the internet got disconnected every 5 minutes.
called VM and they said they will fix the issue by 8pm.

no more disconnections.
i also disconnected the Netgear Powerline and my own BT powerline. job done.
well, i still get lags in games, but its far better than what it was.

the router is:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...cher-C20i.html

i know its not much, but apparently thats what our landlord was recommended about.
he would not pay more than that i guess.
but the wifi coverage for everyone is really good now.

anyway, i tried to set up the BQM monitor, but it seems our new router does not respond to ICMP requests. what should i do now?
Old 30-11-2015, 23:24   #110
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Wow, that's got to be the worst AC router in existence.
Old 01-12-2015, 00:53   #111
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Wow, that's got to be the worst AC router in existence.
tbh the improvement from superhub is massive!
not only i get more powerful wifi signal, the new router is handling the traffic perfectly.
he paid £25 for it.
but again, its 10 times superior to superhub1 .
Old 01-12-2015, 02:54   #112
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
so today, just this afternoon, our landlord came here and brought a new router with himself. apparently, he got to understand that superhub works better in modem mode.
Good news. Should sort out most of your problems (apart from any recurring VM network issues).

Quote:
so, we did setup the new router, and again the internet got disconnected every 5 minutes.
called VM and they said they will fix the issue by 8pm.
If anyone ever says that don't believe them. You undoubtedly spoke to the Indian offshore customer services who just make stuff up to get you off the phone.

Quote:
no more disconnections.
i also disconnected the Netgear Powerline and my own BT powerline. job done.
well, i still get lags in games, but its far better than what it was.
Finally!

Quote:
the router is:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...cher-C20i.html

i know its not much, but apparently thats what our landlord was recommended about.
LOL. No, he just looked for the cheapest router in the high street. You got lucky getting a dual-band router for that price. Although you can't really call that an ac router as the speed of the 5ghz is barely better than 802.11n. You'll be lucky to get 10Mb more speed on 5ghz than on 2.4ghz at close range (when using the highest settings on both).

Still, it's got a USB port for sharing media and files! lol.

Quote:
he would not pay more than that i guess.
but the wifi coverage for everyone is really good now.
End-user experience is what matters. I'll consider this solved.

Just don't complain about not being able to get more than 75-85Mb on ethernet, as they're only 100Mb ethernet ports on the router!

Wifi should be faster.

Quote:
anyway, i tried to set up the BQM monitor, but it seems our new router does not respond to ICMP requests. what should i do now?
Don't think there is an option to respond to ICMP/pings, according to the manual.

Don't forget to set your DNS on your computer to something other than Virgin DNS (I use Google DNS).

Also you'll want to port forward or DMZ your PC for gaming.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:46   #113
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
tbh the improvement from superhub is massive!
not only i get more powerful wifi signal, the new router is handling the traffic perfectly.
he paid £25 for it.
but again, its 10 times superior to superhub1 .
Not bad then, it might be the worst AC router but it's also the cheapest AC router I've seen so far too.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
LOL. No, he just looked for the cheapest router in the high street. You got lucky getting a dual-band router for that price. Although you can't really call that an ac router as the speed of the 5ghz is barely better than 802.11n. You'll be lucky to get 10Mb more speed on 5ghz than on 2.4ghz at close range (when using the highest settings on both).

Still, it's got a USB port for sharing media and files! lol.
That's not entirely true. The 5Ghz will perform a lot faster, especially on mobile devices.

The 2.4Ghz rating of 300Mbps is dependant on HT and MIMO, neither of which work under high interference conditions and/or most mobile devices.

The 5Ghz rating of 433Mbps is pure "single-threaded" throughput. The equivalent rating for 2.4Ghz is 150Mbps. And that's before considering interference, which will bring it down to 72Mbps.

Think of it as the 2.4Ghz as a 700Mhz quad-core. The 5Ghz is a 4300Mhz single-core.

Anything can take advantage of single-core performance but only certain applications can make full use of multiple cores.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:11   #114
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Dear Mud Wizard,

landlord said there is a 28 days return policy going on for the new router. so we r going to check it daily see if it has problems, we can pursue him to return it and get a better one. so i probably will stick around here for a little longer.

at the time my landlord purchased the Netgear Powerline, he spent like £50~60 on that. thats why he did not want to spend more this time. you know, lack of knowledge is a weakness. if we knew better, we would just pursue him to get a proper router like the linksys or asus one at the time, and avoid all these months of pain and suffering. well, we didnt know that superhub 1 had faults. i didnt know that until i posted here.

anyway, i want to thank you for all your kindness and help. really appreciate your patience and kind advices. thanks alot

may i ask you to tell me more about how to set my DNS, and how to port forward/DMZ my pc please?
Old 02-12-2015, 01:28   #115
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

Quote:
That's not entirely true. The 5Ghz will perform a lot faster, especially on mobile devices.
In certain conditions yes.

Quote:
The 2.4Ghz rating of 300Mbps is dependant on HT and MIMO, neither of which work under high interference conditions and/or most mobile devices.
Agreed. Though 5ghz 802.11n is also dependent on HT and MIMO. All wireless is subject to interference etc.

Quote:
The 5Ghz rating of 433Mbps is pure "single-threaded" throughput.
433Mbps isn't throughput, it's the communication link rate, with 802.11ac using HT80 you get around half of that as throughput (speed you see on a speed test) after communication overheads. i.e. Around 215Mb.

vs on 802.11n you see around 2/3rds of the link rate as throughput. Using 300Mbps link rate, that's around 200Mbps.

Excluding interference or device limitations for both.

Quote:
Think of it as the 2.4Ghz as a 700Mhz quad-core. The 5Ghz is a 4300Mhz single-core.

Anything can take advantage of single-core performance but only certain applications can make full use of multiple cores.
LOL ... because that works so well when comparing across processor families.
Mhz is an inaccurate measure of processor performance.

3.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 672 (average CPU mark 402)
vs
AMD A4-5000 1.5 Ghz (average CPU mark 1893, single thread rating 585)
Old 02-12-2015, 01:51   #116
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Dear Mus Wizard,

may i ask you to tell me more about how to set my DNS, and how to port forward/DMZ my pc please?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:15   #117
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

Quote:
Dear Mus Wizard,

There's this great web site called Google. Maybe you've heard of it? You can type any question in plain language and it'll usually give you hundreds of sites and videos that answer your question.

e.g.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...0windows&rct=j

http://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-...-web-browsing/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24431...ur_router.html
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ort+forward+pc

How to Port Forward Steam and put your Computer in DMZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKteVgKgf08

Specifics on which ports will depend on the particular games you're wanting to setup. So YouTube or google instructions on how to setup the ports for a particular game you're playing.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:52   #118
Deathcrush87
Inactive

is DMZing my pc putting it at risk?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:56   #119
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
is DMZing my pc putting it at risk?
It's letting any unrouted traffic go straight to your PC. If you don't have a decent firewall, then yes your PC may be at greater risk.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:45   #120
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
It's letting any unrouted traffic go straight to your PC. If you don't have a decent firewall, then yes your PC may be at greater risk.
all i have is the windows firewall..
i guess i pass on that then.