Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Falkland Islands: Tensions Rising

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Falkland Islands: Tensions Rising

Old 09-02-2012, 10:47   #196
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Falkland Islands: Tensions Rising again ahead of Prince William visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The measures taken to combat the largely French-made aircraft and missiles that did so much damage to British forces in 1982 were revealed in the memoirs of Sir John Nott, the defence secretary at the time, published in 2002 and reported on at the time by the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...John-Nott.html

In other words, MI6 travelled the world buying Exocets. And the ones they couldn't buy, they sabotaged.
Cheers Chris, I thought as much. I had been aware of the Higgins book "Exocet" which covers much of that activity but Notts memoirs look to be an interesting read, especially his acknowledgement of the pivotal role which France played in helping Britain during the campaign.

EDIT:

Just picked his book up for £8.10 including postage.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2012, 10:52   #197
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
Cheers Chris, I thought as much. I had been aware of the Higgins book "Exocet" which covers much of that activity but Notts memoirs look to be an interesting read, especially his acknowledgement of the pivotal role which France played in helping Britain during the campaign.
I think the UK's relationship with France is all too often misrepresented. There's too much emphasis on the politics of the EU and too little on the depth of military cooperation between us.

Having sold planes and missiles to Argentina, France was mortified to see those weapons deployed against us and immediately started doing everything possible to show us how to defeat those weapons.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:03   #198
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

I know this is an old article. But I just found it, and thought it might explain the situation to those who don't know: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...lands-war.html

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

Quote:
I think the UK's relationship with France is all too often misrepresented. There's too much emphasis on the politics of the EU and too little on the depth of military cooperation between us.

Having sold planes and missiles to Argentina, France was mortified to see those weapons deployed against us and immediately started doing everything possible to show us how to defeat those weapons.
Apparently not quite: http://blogcritics.org/books/article...entina-during/

Quote:
According to author Ali Magoudi, French President Francois Mitterrand (1916 – 1996) made a stunning claim that during Britain’s Falkland Islands war with Argentina in the early 1980s, Margaret Thatcher (1925) threatened to use nuclear weapons. Unless Mitterrand gave the British the "deactivate" codes used by anti-ship missiles that France had sold to Argentina.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18   #199
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I know this is an old article. But I just found it, and thought it might explain the situation to those who don't know: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...lands-war.html

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

Apparently not quite: http://blogcritics.org/books/article...entina-during/
Tim,

I think that the "This stunning but uncorroborated revelation..", "The author freely admits that there is no way to back up his claims of what Mitterrand apparently said" and "Shortly after that, according to Magoudi’s unsubstantiated disclosures" caveats in that article pretty much tell a story in themselves.

I'm looking forward to reading Sir John Notts memoirs.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:26   #200
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:

We have been allied together since 1904!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entente_cordiale
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:29   #201
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Tim,

I think that the "This stunning but uncorroborated revelation..", "The author freely admits that there is no way to back up his claims of what Mitterrand apparently said" and "Shortly after that, according to Magoudi’s unsubstantiated disclosures" caveats in that article pretty much tell a story in themselves.

I'm looking forward to reading Sir John Notts memoirs.
Well I'm just quoting it, and not implying if it is true or false.

By the way, did you see that I edited my other post to include a wikipedia link?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30   #202
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

@ Alan Fry.Re South America support for Argentina They won't..they have enough issues of their own and apart from giving word of mouth support won't get involved.They mostly have enough trouble running their own countries and dealing with drug cartels to get involved.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35   #203
Mr Angry
Inactive

Quote:
Well I'm just quoting it, and not implying if it is true or false.

By the way, did you see that I edited my other post to include a wikipedia link?

Yes Tim, I saw that - I was already aware of that particular claim but it relates to a misrepresentaion of the sale of exocets, not the pruchase of them.

"The operation included British intelligence agents claiming to be arms dealers able to supply large numbers of Exocet to Argentina, who diverted Argentina from pursuing sources which could genuinely supply a few missiles."
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37   #204
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
@ Alan Fry.Re South America support for Argentina They won't..they have enough issues of their own and apart from giving word of mouth support won't get involved.They mostly have enough trouble running their own countries and dealing with drug cartels to get involved.
Thanks for telling me!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 20:45   #205
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Good, concise, article here:

http://henryjacksonsociety.org/2012/...oes-to-alaska/

Quote:
Ms Kirchner should not be surprised, therefore, that the British Government refuses to reopen negotiations on the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands now. Argentina has lost this fight in more ways than one, and it’s time they respected that fact.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:15   #206
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Good post Damien
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56   #207
Mr Angry
Inactive

Quote:
Good post Damien
Yes, it is quite a good post - mildly amusing in parts - if a little jaundiced.

The alternate view , including actual cabinet office references and UN Resolutions, is equally interesting.

Either way, given that the nationality of the islanders is not in dispute then it is better that the territorial claim be settled once and for all via diplomatic means rather than militaristic jingoism.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13   #208
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Either way, given that the nationality of the islanders is not in dispute then it is better that the territorial claim be settled once and for all via diplomatic means rather than militaristic jingoism.
That suggestion presupposes that there is a claim to be settled. Just because Argentina makes a claim, it does not follow that the claim is legitimate. And at this point the British government has no reason to acknowledge, and therefore legitimise, Argentina's claim by agreeing to talk about it.

The UK holds all the cards here. Despite petty manoeuvres such as barring Falklands-flagged vessels from South American ports, ultimately Argentina will lose out. It stood to gain from the construction of any on-shore processing facilities required once oil starts to flow from the seabed around the islands but that is now increasingly unlikely.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13   #209
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:

The alternate view , including actual cabinet office references and UN Resolutions, is equally interesting.

Absolutely...they should just ask the Falkland Islanders to vote on who's flag they want to be under. And then Argentina can accept the outcome, and let it rest. But I think we already know the outcome.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:19   #210
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Quote:
A year after the French landed, the British established a settlement at Port Egmont on West Falkland, but abandoned the territory in 1774. Spain maintained a presence on the Falklands until 1811. The newly independent United Provinces of the RÃ*o de la Plata (which included Argentina) believed that Spanish possessions should revert to them and in 1820 sent a ship to the abandoned Falklands. In 1829, Argentina appointed a governor. The British then sent two warships to the Falklands and struck the Argentine flag. Argentina, impoverished and divided, did not have the means to resist.
Britain never ceded our claim on the Islands and when the United Province of Buenos Aires sent a settlement they still recognised that claim, they asked for approval after all. It went wrong when they appointed that governor against the protests of the British who subsequently went to reassert control. The Argentinians being impoverished and divided is immaterial to that matter and was largely a consequence of their own mismanagement of their settlement.

Argentina always reference the treaty were Spain granted them the Islands but they were not Spain's to give away, and referencing UN Resolutions is meaningless when the UN's policy on self-determination supersedes them. So we're back to the same position as we were before, legally they are British, and that is the will of the people of the Island.

That Argentina want the Islands based on a land despite that pre-dated their own existence as a nation is laughable.

They are welcome to challenge the legal status of the island as we have invited them to do twice, they declined twice. They don't want to challenge it presumably they know they would lose. We're not going to give up the Islands, they don't have the will or power to take them by force, they don't want to take it up in the International Court. Therefore they should let it go.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote