Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problem to connect my laptop to the modem through router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problem to connect my laptop to the modem through router

Old 29-08-2007, 08:01   #1
itxel28
Inactive

itxel28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem to connect my laptop to the modem through router

Hello.
I explain what it happens to me in case somebody can help me.
I am residing in even UK.Mi has contracted by cable TV, Tlf and Internet of the company Virgin Media.
Obvious the connected modem this to its PC with the cable.
Now… I have my Laptop (with the operating system in spanish) and want to connect it to Internet with its same coneccion. I wanted to try to take advantage of my to router D-Link 504T that tapeworm until recently in Spain and I did the following thing:
The network cable that goes from the modem to the PC I connected to the port nº 1 of router D-Link.
In the port nº 2 connects another cable of network until the PC and there perfect! This species of bridge works, since the PC has connection.
The bad thing is that in the port nº 3 I connect a third cable of network until my Laptop, but this does not receive connection. Yes the PC but not my laptop.
Somebody can help indicandome me that I make bad, or if I must form something in my laptop?
The truth, I need it to be able to work.
Thanks.
itxel28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2007, 08:11   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Problem to connect my laptop to the modem through router

If the laptop is not connecting then it may be a setting on the laptop or your router or laptop ethernet ports are not working/ enabled.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 09:19   #3
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
If the laptop is not connecting then it may be a setting on the laptop or your router or laptop ethernet ports are not working/ enabled.
That was my first thought as well. Possibly the NIC card is disabled.
I've found it necessary to do this sometimes to get wireless to work reliably.

Running XP or Vista?
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 09:23   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Sorry, but the D-Link 504T is an ADSL based router, which is incompatible with cable due to the inbuilt ADSL modem. You need a cable compatible router.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 09:47   #5
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Moved to networking forum
punky is offline   Reply With Quote