Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 13-01-2012, 20:48   #781
pace508
cf.member

pace508 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

info on my speed boost
Your current speed is up to 10 or 20Mb

Your new speed will be up to 60Mb
but i only got installed on saturday 7/1/12, 30meg plus superhub
pace508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2012, 20:51   #782
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Attachment 23000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookster View Post
Where's the link for this?

I'm on 20 meg (loyality) and would like to check what the likely upgrade will be.

Thanks.......
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:51   #783
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Personally I can't see the engineer requirement for the top tier ever being dropped. It's a premium product and the flagship tier, so Virgin will want to make sure that it works as it should
Not quite. As I stated, they confirmed that there will be no engineer requirement for 100meg when the free double comes along, and 100meg will be the top tier at that point in time.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:56   #784
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pace508 View Post
info on my speed boost
Your current speed is up to 10 or 20Mb

Your new speed will be up to 60Mb
but i only got installed on saturday 7/1/12, 30meg plus superhub
Mine says current speed is up to 10 or 20Mbit. Question is why don't they know exactly what my package is? My Virgin Media knows I'm on XL20 - why doesn't that page?
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:57   #785
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
Not quite. As I stated, they confirmed that there will be no engineer requirement for 100meg when the free double comes along, and 100meg will be the top tier at that point in time.
Actually that's not completely true

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...962021#M110205

Quote:
Will we need a manned installation for the upgrade and will there be an installation charge?

Most of you won't and for the people who do need some work doing it'll be free of charge. We'll be in touch ahead of when your speed is going to doubled to tell you if you need a engineer visit and arrange when is convenient with you
Old 13-01-2012, 21:01   #786
stereohaven
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo, V HD Box, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone M
stereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the rough

According to the link we are due the upgrade sometime from October.

We are currently on 30MB but I may upgrade to 50MB just before October to take advantage because 100MB for around £6.50 extra a month (the difference between 30MB and 50MB I believe), doesn't sound bad at all to me.
stereohaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:03   #787
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I have one of these emails and I am only on 20 mb . Think they have this email to me in error.
Is the wording exactly the same?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:04   #788
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Actually that's not completely true

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...962021#M110205
Well, no, of course if you need a Shub or you have dodgy signal levels then fair enough. If there is a need for an engineer visit then of course there will be one. That is a far cry from having a hard requirement when there's no obvious need though, which is what we're talking about here.
Old 13-01-2012, 21:11   #789
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
Well, no, of course if you need a Shub or you have dodgy signal levels then fair enough. If there is a need for an engineer visit then of course there will be one. That is a far cry from having a hard requirement when there's no obvious need though, which is what we're talking about here.
I was told that there were some problems with earlier s/hubs, and that is why they are changing them when you upgrade

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-...edupgrade.html
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:13   #790
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I was told that there were some problems with earlier s/hubs, and that is why they are changing them when you upgrade

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-...edupgrade.html
They don't change them when you upgrade
Old 13-01-2012, 21:16   #791
watzizname
Inactive

Services: XL 60/3
watzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to all

Quote:
Many thanks for that
watzizname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:25   #792
AndyCalling
Inactive

Quote:
They don't change them when you upgrade
Good, as I've got a second Shub on the shelf anyway from the 50meg install when their delivery system got screwed up.

I've got every angle covered really, yet an engineer visit still can't be avoided.
Old 13-01-2012, 21:31   #793
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

As someone said, I think the Engineer Visit is mainly because 100meg is the premium top-tier product. When the 50meg first came out, it was a similar thing - there was even a dedicated 50meg support number. The 100meg support number got you straight through to second line at one point when it was being trialled.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:35   #794
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
According to the link we are due the upgrade sometime from October.

We are currently on 30MB but I may upgrade to 50MB just before October to take advantage because 100MB for around £6.50 extra a month (the difference between 30MB and 50MB I believe), doesn't sound bad at all to me.

I was wondering about going to 50 meg now. I'm still on 20 because I didn't want the super hub, but as I'll end up with one anyway for the speed doubling, and the bad reports seem to have gone away...

The other attraction is backup and storage, which it says is unlimited; is it really unlimited?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:41   #795
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I was wondering about going to 50 meg now. I'm still on 20 because I didn't want the super hub, but as I'll end up with one anyway for the speed doubling, and the bad reports seem to have gone away...

The other attraction is backup and storage, which it says is unlimited; is it really unlimited?
I don't think anyone's ever found the limit to it because after using it for more than 5minutes, they give up.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote