Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 13-01-2012, 16:32   #721
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes l was confused as well.
TelfordCable does not confuse me as i never believe anything he posts.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2012, 16:34   #722
fryster2005
Inactive

fryster2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I'm on 50 meg, I was looking to upgrade to 100meg anyway, as they're not starting upgrades until October in my area (at the earliest) I think i'll take the plunge now. Am I right in thinking that there's a one off activation of £30, but I get a discount of the difference for 3 months, effectively cancelling this out? And when will the 100 meg prices be reduced to the 50 meg prices? Will it be a set date for everyone, or will it come into effect once your areas speed is upgraded? Tempted to go for it now and possibly pay for it for a few months, but then get the extra 20 meg in the summer.

Oh, and what do Virgin define as summer?!
fryster2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 16:37   #723
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yup it currently only costs £30 to go from 50 > 100Mbit as there is a free install offer
Old 13-01-2012, 16:50   #724
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

Stav:

Upload - Apr 12
100mb - May 12
Doubling - April - July

Presumably they will just do the entire thing in one go.
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:04   #725
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold
Re: virgin media double speed website now live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Can I just say that I found Northern Ireland's infrastructure to be pretty top-notch. It hardly ever seems to go down.
And pretty good congestion wise, only had a few problems with loss of service and most of the time it was not virgins fault but some idiot road workers digging up and through cables. Plus its ex-ntl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
If you'll notice, I have a relatively low post count, so despite being registered for a while, I don't actually post much, so I don't really know "who's who" around these parts.
I wasn't trying to be rude or anything just trying to inform you. Sorry if it come off rude.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:08   #726
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

July onwards for me
Old 13-01-2012, 17:14   #727
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
July onwards for me
Lucky you - October onwards for me
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:14   #728
marc2003
Inactive

Services: 30Mbps + Phone
marc2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickJesus View Post
Presumably they will just do the entire thing in one go.
i like your thinking but i'm not entirely optimistic that will happen.
marc2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:22   #729
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
i like your thinking but i'm not entirely optimistic that will happen.
I just checked the SuperHub and they have actually done the upload speed in the last few days, which is promising!
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:25   #730
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Just to point out it says 'October onwards' and this programme is ongoing until the middle of 2013, so you may be waiting until the middle of next year, no completion date provided.
You mean end of 2013 (like, y'know how they said upstream uplift would be finished by mid-2011 and 100mb by early 2012)
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:35   #731
loopfish
Inactive

loopfish can only hope to improve

Maybe they could now employ Usain Bolt to run round and upgrade the cabinets...that might speed things up.

loopfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:44   #732
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

If you have our up to 100Mb connection, you've already got the fastest widely available broadband in the UK. So we'll be taking a bit off your monthly bill, instead. And as an extra thank you, we'll be boosting your speeds up to 120Mb. Your upgrades start this summer. We'll be in touch to let you know.

'Summer' is earlier than 'October'
It also mentions it starting in the summer, it doesn't say anything about 100Mb customers getting the upgrades before anyone else in their areas.

As I'm sure you know it's being delayed while the line card replacement programme to support upstream bonding is being done, this is a project independent of the capacity upgrades needed for all tier uplift but the 100Mb upgrade is likewise dependent on capacity upgrades.

Not to mention that people on every other tier would have every right to be a bit miffed at 100Mb customers getting their uplift before them.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:50   #733
JayAy
Inactive

JayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enough

Well, we are off to a good start! Just received this email which claims on already on 100M, but I'm definitely on the 50M service and have the modem to prove it and the bills too. So how do I get this corrected as I'll not get a free super hub (to be used on modem mode only) otherwise?

Good news - we're giving you even faster broadband, for less.

You're already getting the UK's fastest widely available broadband, and starting this summer we'll be starting the roll-out to boost your speeds from up to 100Mb to up to 120Mb. We'll also be lowering the price of your broadband package in April to match the price of our 50Mb Broadband XXL packages.

These are nice extras we do to make you smile. We call them Virgin Media tickles, and we only give them to people we know and like - our customers.

Our ongoing commitment to offering the UK's fastest broadband.

Virgin Media offers the fastest broadband speeds in the UK*, as proven by Ofcom for three years in a row. And we're committed to keeping it this way. Which is why we're upgrading our award winning fibre optic network over the next 18 months.

As part of this upgrade, you may have seen we'll be doubling many of our customers' broadband speeds. But, because you already get our fastest broadband, we're upgrading you to up to 120Mb and giving you a discount instead.

So whether you love streaming HD movies, ruling the gaming world or downloading tunes in super quick time - you'll soon be able to do it even faster and for less.

You don't have to lift a finger.

The 120Mb upgrade kick off in the summer and will have a slightly different roll-out schedule to our other work. We'll let you know nearer the time when to expect your broadband speed boost. In the meantime, see what you can do with faster speeds at virginmedia.com/evenfaster.

We'll be in touch in a few weeks with more details about your price reduction, so there's no need to call us, or do a thing – except keep enjoying what is already the UK's fastest broadband.
JayAy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:56   #734
gc7
Inactive

Services: Tivo; 50MB; D-Link DIR-615
gc7 is a jewel in the roughgc7 is a jewel in the roughgc7 is a jewel in the roughgc7 is a jewel in the roughgc7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAy View Post
Well, we are off to a good start! Just received this email which claims on already on 100M, but I'm definitely on the 50M service and have the modem to prove it and the bills too. So how do I get this corrected as I'll not get a free super hub (to be used on modem mode only) otherwise?

Good news - we're giving you even faster broadband, for less.

You're already getting the UK's fastest widely available broadband, and starting this summer we'll be starting the roll-out to boost your speeds from up to 100Mb to up to 120Mb. We'll also be lowering the price of your broadband package in April to match the price of our 50Mb Broadband XXL packages.

These are nice extras we do to make you smile. We call them Virgin Media tickles, and we only give them to people we know and like - our customers.

Our ongoing commitment to offering the UK's fastest broadband.

Virgin Media offers the fastest broadband speeds in the UK*, as proven by Ofcom for three years in a row. And we're committed to keeping it this way. Which is why we're upgrading our award winning fibre optic network over the next 18 months.

As part of this upgrade, you may have seen we'll be doubling many of our customers' broadband speeds. But, because you already get our fastest broadband, we're upgrading you to up to 120Mb and giving you a discount instead.

So whether you love streaming HD movies, ruling the gaming world or downloading tunes in super quick time - you'll soon be able to do it even faster and for less.

You don't have to lift a finger.

The 120Mb upgrade kick off in the summer and will have a slightly different roll-out schedule to our other work. We'll let you know nearer the time when to expect your broadband speed boost. In the meantime, see what you can do with faster speeds at virginmedia.com/evenfaster.

We'll be in touch in a few weeks with more details about your price reduction, so there's no need to call us, or do a thing – except keep enjoying what is already the UK's fastest broadband.

Have had exactly the same email.
gc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:59   #735
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAy View Post
Let me get this right, if I swap to 100Mb before April I will only pay £25 a month for 120Mb?

That seems incredibly good value.