Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 13-01-2012, 17:59   #736
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

But it seems whatever Virgin do sometimes they are damned if they do or damned if they don't but remember nearly all of us will be getting a huge speed increase and for that we must applaud Virgin.
Old 13-01-2012, 18:03   #737
marc2003
Inactive

Services: 30Mbps + Phone
marc2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickJesus View Post
I just checked the SuperHub and they have actually done the upload speed in the last few days, which is promising!
you're right. i assume mine was done earlier today as i have a little red blip on my TBB chart - i guess the router was rebooting at this time.

marc2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:03   #738
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

I got that email claiming I am on 100Mb too, when I am on 30Mb. logging into My VM it says I have 10 or 20Mb broadband when again, I have 30! What fools! Good news is, it says March/April for my upgrade to 60Mb so that's not too much of a wait.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:16   #739
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Wait a mo, I'm confused. So 50meg is going up to 100meg, and 100meg is going up to 120meg and dropping in price to be the same price as 50meg is now (which will be 100meg by then).

So, once the 120meg tier is available why wouldn't all the old 50meg customers, who will be on 100meg by then, switch to 120meg as it will cost the same price as their 100meg is costing?
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:33   #740
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

I just got the email telling me "You're already getting the UK's fastest widely available broadband, and starting this summer we'll be starting the roll-out to boost your speeds from up to 100Mb to up to 120Mb."

I'm on 30mb.

Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:34   #741
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
Wait a mo, I'm confused. So 50meg is going up to 100meg, and 100meg is going up to 120meg and dropping in price to be the same price as 50meg is now (which will be 100meg by then).

So, once the 120meg tier is available why wouldn't all the old 50meg customers, who will be on 100meg by then, switch to 120meg as it will cost the same price as their 100meg is costing?
I have a feeling that for the time being this is a bonus for those already on the top tier (100mb). Perhaps once the upgrades are complete everyone will move up to 120 who is on (the then) 100mb, therefore having 20mb, 60mb and 120mb as the three tier choices.

This is pure speculation on my part though. Maybe Ben has some answers
BenJSmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:36   #742
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
It also mentions it starting in the summer, it doesn't say anything about 100Mb customers getting the upgrades before anyone else in their areas.

As I'm sure you know it's being delayed while the line card replacement programme to support upstream bonding is being done, this is a project independent of the capacity upgrades needed for all tier uplift but the 100Mb upgrade is likewise dependent on capacity upgrades.

Not to mention that people on every other tier would have every right to be a bit miffed at 100Mb customers getting their uplift before them.
They have to swap kit right to move from 4 DS to 5 DS channels?

The checker actually says in progress for me which seems crazy as I still only have 4 DS. Its as if they think they have upgraded the DS but forgot.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:36   #743
Jameseh

5Mb - S (Loyalty)
10Mb - M
20Mb - M (Loyalty)
30Mb - L
50Mb - XL
60Mb - L (Loyalty)
100Mb - XXL
120Mb - XXL (Loyalty)

= confusing.
Old 13-01-2012, 18:45   #744
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
5Mb - S (Loyalty)
10Mb - M
20Mb - M (Loyalty)
30Mb - L
50Mb - XL
60Mb - L (Loyalty)
100Mb - XXL
120Mb - XXL (Loyalty)

= confusing.
It's confusing because what you've posted is completely wrong and makes no sense. These aren't loyalty tiers, these are the new tiers going forward. Once everyone has moved over, there won't be a 10, there won't be a 30meg and there won't be a 50meg.

You've also got the sizes wrong, 100meg (soon to be 120) is XXXL, 50 (to be 100) is XXL and XL is 30 (or 20 if you haven't paid the £30). L and M are both 10 and will be switched to 20.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:51   #745
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I just had an email telling me I'm going to get a discount and 120mbit

Not bad for off net I guess
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:54   #746
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
It also mentions it starting in the summer, it doesn't say anything about 100Mb customers getting the upgrades before anyone else in their areas.

As I'm sure you know it's being delayed while the line card replacement programme to support upstream bonding is being done, this is a project independent of the capacity upgrades needed for all tier uplift but the 100Mb upgrade is likewise dependent on capacity upgrades.

Not to mention that people on every other tier would have every right to be a bit miffed at 100Mb customers getting their uplift before them.
Would also point out this from the FAQ over on the Community Forum:

Quote:
Please note that the post code checker does not apply to 100Mb customers whose boost will be happening from the summer of 2012. We will be writing to you with more information as to when their speed boost will be happening shortly.
which reads to me as if the 100Mbit > 120Mbit upgrade is on a different schedule

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJSmyth View Post
I have a feeling that for the time being this is a bonus for those already on the top tier (100mb). Perhaps once the upgrades are complete everyone will move up to 120 who is on (the then) 100mb, therefore having 20mb, 60mb and 120mb as the three tier choices.

This is pure speculation on my part though. Maybe Ben has some answers
Seems logical to me
Old 13-01-2012, 18:55   #747
pk1
cf.addict

Services: Sky Fibre Max Broadband, Sky Telephone, Sky Q 2TB
pk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post

Yeah i got an email saying getting the upgrade to 120mb and i'm only on 30mb.
pk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:56   #748
Helix
cf.addict

Services: Full House Bundle with Tivo V6
Helix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really nice

Quote:

Yep someone has screwed up, I got the same email and I am on 30mb. They always find it hard sending correct emails, like when everyone got the Tivo email addressed to Dave.
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:58   #749
SuperHighway
Inactive

SuperHighway is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Did they mention what the discount would be?

Just upgraded to 100mb from 50mb and was wondering if I'd still be in line for the discount.

Cheers
SuperHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 19:00   #750
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHighway View Post
Just upgraded to 100mb from 50mb and was wondering if I'd still be in line for the discount.
Yes you will be