Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brother Fax Trouble

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Browser cache size?

Old 26-04-2012, 19:02   #1
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Browser cache size?

I have both Firefox and Internet Explorer on my PC, is there an ideal size to limit the cache/s to? Or does it matter what size they are?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2012, 19:35   #2
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Browser cache size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It's a balance: If your net connection is slower than the HDD access then using a bigger cache speeds things up. I've only got a 10meg access but find that a 50 meg cache in Firefox is adequate.

When I'm mobile and using a very limited 2G link then a bigger cache speeds things up once you've visited pages. From scratch there's no real difference as the page load time is limited by the connection assuming you flush the cache(s) when the browser is closed.

Makes no significant difference if you're using streamed content like youtube IMO.

HTH
Thanks for that Heero, I'm afraid it does not make a lot of sense to me. My Firefox cache is set at 299MB and IE at 250MB which seems an awful lot of space. Since my speed rarely exceeds 2MB is these figures acceptable? I would have thought it would slow down my browsing speed no?
Old 27-04-2012, 09:05   #3
Tinky
To err is human

Hi Heero once again thanks for that. Tried what you suggested with the F5 button and strangely in Firefox there is no discernable difference, but doing the same with IE after reducing the cache size, appears to load quicker. Very i-n-t-e-resting. Gosh there's some clever folk on here!
Old 27-04-2012, 11:46   #4
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It's a balance: If your net connection is slower than the HDD access then using a bigger cache speeds things up. I've only got a 10meg access but find that a 50 meg cache in Firefox is adequate.

When I'm mobile and using a very limited 2G link then a bigger cache speeds things up once you've visited pages. From scratch there's no real difference as the page load time is limited by the connection assuming you flush the cache(s) when the browser is closed.

Makes no significant difference if you're using streamed content like youtube IMO.

HTH
you should hope your hard drive is faster than your net connection. You will be in trouble if your HDD only accesses at 12 MB which matches VMs 100 meg
Old 27-04-2012, 14:57   #5
tizmeinnit

I was joking