Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Who cares about Gazza?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

"our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'"

Old 23-11-2014, 12:46   #1
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
"our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'"

..to help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor.

"Across the country this month millions of us will be receiving tax returns from the government with colourful, sexy-looking pie charts on them, helpfully outlining where all our tax is being spent. This is, according to George Osborne, a revolution in transparency over how people’s money is being used by the government.

My own tax return, its shiny little pie chart practically glowing with a sense of its own transparency, arrived through the door yesterday. The first thing that struck me and shocked me about it was that the largest part – a whole quarter – was taken up by the term "welfare". Could it really be true that welfare receives more money than any other part of the public sector? More than health? More than education? Something seemed untransparent here."

A very interesting read.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2014, 13:23   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: "our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'"

Propaganda... election looming...
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 13:43   #3
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

i must say when i looked at my pie chart and the breakdown in £ my first thought was the bone idle turd that lives next door to me and his wife and 5 kids he's in his thirties and to my knowledge has never done a days work but its ok i'm keeping them in fags n drugs etc .
Old 23-11-2014, 14:07   #4
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i must say when i looked at my pie chart and the breakdown in £ my first thought was the bone idle turd that lives next door to me and his wife and 5 kids he's in his thirties and to my knowledge has never done a days work but its ok i'm keeping them in fags n drugs etc .
Having kids IS their 'work'...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 14:15   #5
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Having kids IS their 'work'...
he puts quite a lot of time into test-driving Stella Larger [reassuringly expensive ] but what does it matter when someone else is buying .
Old 23-11-2014, 14:23   #6
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I cannot stand the **** who can work but will not work and instead play the system.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 18:27   #7
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I cannot stand the **** who can work but will not work and instead play the system.
Quite. However, you might be interested to know that those in work constitute a very sizeable number of those in receipt of benefits (welfare) in the shape of housing benefit.

"The number of middle-income earners relying on housing benefit to keep their homes has risen by 350,000 since 2008, a report has found.

National Housing Federation (NHF) research show that middle-income households earning between £20,000 and £30,000 a year accounted for two-thirds of all new housing benefit claims during the past six years.

Between November 2008 and May 2014, there were 570,000 new households claiming housing benefit who were also in work, the equivalent of almost 300 households per day. That increase in working claimants accounted for more than three-quarters (79%) of new housing benefit claims made over that time."
Old 23-11-2014, 18:37   #8
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

how can you claim benefits if you earn 20-30 k
Old 23-11-2014, 18:49   #9
Mr Angry
Inactive

The fact is that you can and clearly many hundreds of thousands of working people do.

People need to realize that the welfare bill is not made up solely from the "feckless", "workshy" and single parent mothers - that's the point being made in the article.
Old 23-11-2014, 19:23   #10
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
People need to realize that the welfare bill is not made up solely from the "feckless", "workshy"
But surely the point is that they shouldn't be on the welfare bill at all?
Old 23-11-2014, 21:42   #11
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
The fact is that you can and clearly many hundreds of thousands of working people do.

People need to realize that the welfare bill is not made up solely from the "feckless", "workshy" and single parent mothers - that's the point being made in the article.
Indeed ,apparently now it is also made up of teachers pensions and other state employees pensions .Thankfully ,as a self employed worker I won't receive that piece of government propaganda and I've no intention of going online to look at it

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
But surely the point is that they shouldn't be on the welfare bill at all?
Exactly ,it is the great shame of this country that someone in work needs benefits
Old 23-11-2014, 21:53   #12
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post

Exactly ,it is the great shame of this country that someone in work needs benefits
Err....no. I was referring to the "work shy & feckless" surely they shouldn't be on the welfare bill?

If you're going to quote me please at least read the context of my post.
Old 23-11-2014, 22:00   #13
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Err....no. I was referring to the "work shy & feckless" surely they shouldn't be on the welfare bill?

If you're going to quote me please at least read the context of my post.
Apologies but your reply Mr A suggested you where referring to workers being on the welfare bill
Old 23-11-2014, 22:15   #14
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Apologies but your reply Mr A suggested you where referring to workers being on the welfare bill
No I was suggesting the work shy and the feckless should not be receiving welfare!
Old 23-11-2014, 22:17   #15
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

IMHO people who are in work and on benefits are there because big business will not pay a living wage. They expect the government to step in and subsidise their wage bill to increase their profits.
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote