Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 03-05-2012, 15:20   #76
Zanny
Inactive

Services: 50Mb BB
Zanny is an unknown quantity at this point
re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Or they could have "considered their options, like appeal" like BT are doing.

looks like VM were the first to implement block as well, ah well.

Not worth crying about as others have said plenty of ways around block and until the BPI and the "industry" as a whole realise these court orders are about as affective as throwing wet sponges at walls, theyll keep at it.

10 years from now they will have either achieved their ultimate goal of shutting down/breaking the internet completely (that'll save HMV, honest ), or it will be a completely walled garden like the old AOL days.

Welcome to the new stone age BPI style.
Zanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2012, 15:20   #77
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough
re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Unless this post is untrue...
It is, see my earlier post.

Quote:
Im quite sure VM could easily have stalled this if they choose to.
We'll see how quick the others are to implement it
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 15:23   #78
Zanny
Inactive

Services: 50Mb BB
Zanny is an unknown quantity at this point

if we all change our virginmedia webspace to just a link to a piratebay proxy will they be forced to take VM offline lol (joke)
Zanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 15:32   #79
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
As far as I know, no court order has been issued to block google, so no it should not be blocked. Winky, right back at you.
Attempts have been made through the courts to get Youtube blocked, and Wikipedia has also been successfully blocked in the past.

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanny View Post
looks like VM were the first to implement block as well, ah well.
VM voluntarily blocked it earlier than they had to. Everyone else will catch up eventually.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 15:49   #80
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

I get the feeling this is just a first step in web censorship, it's a dark day in my opinion

Instead of adapting with the times and charging reasonable prices for cd's/dvd's etc, they've decided to censor the internet instead.

Starting to feel like the country depicted in V for Vendetta, where everything is controlled/restricted.

(Doesn't seem to be blocked on Sky broadband, yet)
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:16   #81
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have said untrue, as that implies willfull knowlege of it being untrue. Incorrect would be fairer, as it seems I misunderstood the judgement.

The case jusgement in question is available for reading here. Feel free to have a read about it yourselves
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:42   #82
BomberAF
Inactive

Services: Sky HD, VM 50Mb/s Broadband
BomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone think of any other way to justify having 100 mbs broadband if you cannot download torrents?
BomberAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:50   #83
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You can download torrents - that hasn't been blocked
Old 03-05-2012, 16:53   #84
BomberAF
Inactive

Services: Sky HD, VM 50Mb/s Broadband
BomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You can download torrents - that hasn't been blocked
I said if there was NO torrent downloading!
BomberAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:58   #85
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post
I said if there was NO torrent downloading!
I know, but that's not what this thread is about . There is still torrent downloads, just one site that has links to illegal torrents has been blocked (with apparently lots of ways around it)
Old 03-05-2012, 17:12   #86
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Warning!

Posts have been removed from this thread... Read below:-

Ok going to take the moral high ground which some people will not like, but at the end of the day, as I am one of the owners of this website and regardless of how emotive we feel about this kind of blocking or mass censorship by an ISP such as Virgin Media, we cannot allow links to such torrent sites or post links to get around the block, as it provides access to copyrighted content and this is a breach of our own terms of use and it must not continue.

For clarification, the specific term is as follows:-

Your use of CF shall be in accordance with these conditions, which are non-negotiable.

You agree that you will not:

"Post", transmit, upload, email or "otherwise make available" any content that in doing so infringes upon a trademark, patent, copyright, trade secret or other proprietary rights of any party.

I therefore immediately request that no further links in connection with any torrent site be posted on this forum. Nor will anyone post any link on this forum, to get around the block.

We do not allow any discussion of any kind which borders on illegal activity, this is a standard we have always met since day one and I am not allowing such standards to slip, we do not allow any kind of discussion on hacking a cable modem/TV Set top box for instance, so we cannot allow direct links to illegal torrent content however much you disagree with such political rulings and or court orders.

Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
I understand and will co-operate (I've never posted such anyway) but I do think you are wrong to indicate that copyright infringment is illegal. It does not break criminal law, neither does it 'border' on it. Please change the term to 'illicit'. The term 'unlawful' is actually probably more accurate, but many will not realise this term does not imply a breach of criminal law and so it is probably best avoided. I ask this because there seems to be a great deal of misinformation going about on this one and you don't want to look like you are engaging in such dodgy propaganda I'm sure. Best not to be seen to take sides on this one I feel.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 17:18   #87
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Can anyone think of any other way to justify having 100 mbs broadband if you cannot download torrents?
Is this meant to be a trick question?

Netflix, LoveFilm, online viewing - faster streaming.

Digital game downloads and patch upgrades, for example, the new World of Warcraft, Mists of Pandora, beta version is a whopping 19 Gb in size.

So there is plenty of legitmate things to do with a 100Mb broadband connection. ALL legal content can be downloaded a hell of a lot quicker than a 10Mb connection.

Just for the record, I do not necessarily agree with the blocking, I think it is a waste of time and resources, as there are thousands of other sites like it out there, blocking one website will not change anything one iota.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 17:20   #88
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Upload speed. Working from home I tend to do more uploading then downloading, so faster upload would be advantageous, but not for the price VM want. I can't wait to get 6Meg upload. With the top 100Mb tier you get 10Mb upload.
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 17:23   #89
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

Im quite sure VM could easily have stalled this if they choose to.
I'm sure they could the problem is though, now that the ban has been announced by the courts any type stalling or apealing looks like support for piracy
Old 03-05-2012, 17:23   #90
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavChap View Post
Upload speed. Working from home I tend to do more uploading then downloading, so faster upload would be advantageous, but not for the price VM want. I can't wait to get 6Meg upload. With the top 100Mb tier you get 10Mb upload.
can you not get infinity?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote