Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 09-11-2015, 10:21   #751
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Customers on the old 152mbps tier can continue to use a Superhub 1.
They can, but they'll get a swap out to new kit as part of the upgrade to 200Mb
Old 09-11-2015, 11:01   #752
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

Shub 2 rebooted automatically at 10.40 and now on Vivid200 Glasgow west end.
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:16   #753
jem16
Inactive

jem16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem16 View Post
If it works. Did mine yesterday and account showing today as if I hadn't. Also in Rutherglen.
Router rebooted 10 minutes ago and now on 70mb so all is well.

jem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:56   #754
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
They can, but they'll get a swap out to new kit as part of the upgrade to 200Mb
That is in no way relevant.

A claim was made that the Superhub 1 can't do speeds above 100mbps.

It has supported the 100mbps, 120mbps and 152mbps tiers over time.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 13:35   #755
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It is relevant. It may well work but VM want all customers in higher speeds to be using a sh2 or sh2ac.

So they will only be able to upgrade if they take the new kit.
Old 09-11-2015, 13:44   #756
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

What determines how fast the Ping is?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:07   #757
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So they will only be able to upgrade if they take the new kit.
yup, they wouldn't let me have 152mbits without a shub2 and that was at the beginning of the year so I would love to know how shub1 users are on it.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:20   #758
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
yup, they wouldn't let me have 152mbits without a shub2 and that was at the beginning of the year so I would love to know how shub1 users are on it.
We got 152mbps as soon as it became available and still had our Superhub 1 then, so they allowed us to upgrade.

Maybe they've put new rules in place since then, but there was no restriction before.
Old 09-11-2015, 18:33   #759
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I did as well and they insisted I had a shub2. If I remember correctly they didn't even have a 152mbit config file for the shub1 because they wanted everyone to have the shub2 for improved wireless. That is why they want everyone to have a shub2 or ac now because it is pointless provisioning everyone for 150mbits+ when you know the wireless on the pe cant handle it. You are just asking to be inundated with calls.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:42   #760
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Quote:
I did as well and they insisted I had a shub2.
According to my records we got the 152mbps upgrade in May 2014 (from 120mbps), so it's possible that they changed their policy after then, but before it was available in your area.
Old 09-11-2015, 21:11   #761
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Maybe they've put new rules in place since then, but there was no restriction before.
It was always suggested that those going up to 152Mbit had a SH2, but it wasn't enforced.

The absolute requirement for both VIVID 150 and VIVID 200 to require at least a SH2 is part of this current set of upgrades.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:55   #762
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
what a joke. From the get go the postcode checker and myvirginmedia have always said the speed upgrade would be available by the end of November. Now bear in mind that VM said that 90% of users would be upgraded by xmas and last week the postcode checker said that my area was now ready. I have just checked myvirginmedia and now it has to it'll be ready by end of March 2016 and the postcode checker says they'll be in contact between January and March. Surely it doesn't take them two weeks before their deadline to realise things wont be ready and they need to put it back by 5 months?

This is turning into even more of a joke than previous upgrades. Why set unrealistic targets when you know you haven't met previous ones?
No harm, mon general but it's only a joke because your upgrade has been delayed. This is par for the course for every upgrade so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked, but is the new modem a 100% must to get speeds above 100mb? Reason I ask is I have my current SH running in modem mode with an N66u taking care of the wireless connectivity.
Not at all, SH1 is just as capable as the SH2/ac in modem mode.

I just made that up. You do need a SH2.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:11   #763
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Not at all, SH1 is just as capable as the SH2/ac in modem mode.
Sorry to repeat myself here, but even in modem mode to get either VIVID 150 or VIVID 200, Virgin Media require you to have a SH2 or SH2ac. If you don't have one, you will not get either new tier until you've been sent one.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:16   #764
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Sorry to repeat myself here, but even in modem mode to get either VIVID 150 or VIVID 200, Virgin Media require you to have a SH2 or SH2ac. If you don't have one, you will not get either new tier until you've been sent one.
Ooops, you are right and I should be told off.

What I should have said is that the SH1 is capable of it, but Virgin has not permitted any 150/200mbit profiles to go out. So weirdly you can get 152Mbit but not 150Mbit. My bad!

So yes, you do need a SH2 or better.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:31   #765
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
My upgrade isn't due until the end of November either. A call to CS got me upgraded within 5 minutes.
brilliant sod doing capacity upgrades just upgrade users anyway
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote